The flatmate compliant charger

D

Deleted member 4366

OMG cwah:eek:

This is just getting too scary and has gone beyond being funny to the point of being dangerous to yourself and others.

Why not just buy a half decent electric folder...........but not from Cyclezee.
..........and then swap the motor for a Hubzilla at the back and a Cromotor at the front.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Don't take any notice of the criticisms cwah! I think you are just following in the fine tradition of the eccentric but brilliant experimental engineers that your country France has always be famed for, and without which the world would be a poorer place.

Like some of them, you may hurt yourself trying, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. ;)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
don't take any notice of the criticisms cwah! I think you are just following in the fine tradition of the eccentric but brilliant experimental engineers that your country france has always be famed for, and without which the world would be a poorer place.

Like some of them, you may hurt yourself trying, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. ;)

WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN!!:confused::p

(Ah...so he is a frog...makes sense then;))

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
hi Everybody

I think postings like this should result in the poster being banned as we have somebody encouraging members to mess about with switch mode power supply s or chargers these carry LETHAL voltage in excesses off 1,000 volts Maybe not the one he shows BUT encouraging others to open power supply can result in a member DEATH If you have a problem with a CHARGER replace it or take to a professional for repair DON'T ever open it and explore it can KILL you DEAD

Frank
So would you ban me for this?

I've added an external volt meter panel, modded the fan output and snipped a shunt - all required me to take the lid off the psu.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Where's the patient?....NURSE!:p

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
OMG!
Is that wood you have attached it to?
Yup.

Although my microwave is on a wooden worktop, my computer on a wooden desk, tv on a wooden stand, bedside lamp on a wooden set of draws etc etc ;)

Best make sure I have loads of fire extinguishers ordered eh?

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
have been waiting for a charging solution like this for years now and wonder if you intend to reproduce???

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Guys, as "dangerous" or "innovative" as my charger look like... it's actually quite common. I had my inspiration and guide mostly from folks in endlesssphere and most members have this kind of setup... in a much more dangerous version.

They open and put in series laptop, computer and meanwell power supply.. Haven't heard of charger on fire yet, but much more about batteries issues.

Compared to them I have a very very safe solution :p

The problem is that as soon as your start DIY your battery, and that you end up with some odd battery voltage (ex: 68V fully charged), you need a custom charger as well.

If it was simple to get an adjustable voltage charger story would've been different. But I'm not aware of ready made charger able to output 68V.

So most DIY folks would have a similar charger to mine... except that it's not located next to a fire extinguisher ;)

ps: initially it was on the floor and that was much much more dangerous. I actually improved safety.

D

Deleted member 4366

I believe that these chargers (come in different power ratings) are adjustable so you can set them to any voltage. There was a thread about a year ago on ES how to adjust them. Inside are two pre-sets: one for current and one for voltage, so you can make your own adjustments, or you can buy then from BMSBattery and they'll set then for you. I had one set to 50.4v to bulk charge my 12s lipos.
Alloy Shell 240W LiFePo4/Li-Ion/Lead Acid Battery EBike Charger - BMSBATTERY

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Nice link d8veh

In the famous words of Mr Punch.... That's the way to do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 4366

Nice link d8veh

In the famous words of Mr Punch.... That's the way to do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unfortunately when you buy the ready-made solution, you don't learn very much, so it is and it isn't.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Thanks D8v3h.

I've already purchased few charger from BMSBattery but I didn't have time to tweak them.

But the issue is that I still have to open the charger and adjust the voltage and current from it accordingly.

As it is also much more noisy I'll have to mod the fan.

So still a bit of work on the charger, will do that when I have time :)

For now my best solution is still this little DC converter set up. I can basically charge my bike with any power supply. It's almost magic :)

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Fellow forum members chargers like the ones from BMS are Switch mode they are very efficient and small like laptop chargers The way they work is to UP the voltage from 230 volts to sometimes 1,000

volts Then chop the voltage up leaving the desired output voltage and amps DO NOT OPEN THE case

there are LETHAL voltages inside

Don,t Look for Fuses if the maker wants you to change a fuse safely they will be on the outside off the case

Sorry to go on BUT it is important

Frank

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
Any of the old radio hams remember the RSGBs shambolic shack contest? it was stopped after a while on safety grounds