The new best headlight

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sorry my bad still getting used to reply thing lol at your gòod for price Phil I just got a set of lights and a bike workstand for 1 pence more than the 14 99 you paid for lights and the light is excellent
I am guessing thats a deal you have done with someone, not an on-line purchase...

Re tyred

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2016
in my house
I am guessing thats a deal you have done with someone, not an on-line purchase...
It's on threads here under cycle workstation and bike lights basically bought from lidl clearance shop not sure about down south but up here they are called bargain base and they use them to clear unsold weekly deals shop here must have had at leastfifty workstations all priced at a tenner

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
It's on threads here under cycle workstation and bike lights basically bought from lidl clearance shop not sure about down south but up here they are called bargain base and they use them to clear unsold weekly deals shop here must have had at leastfifty workstations all priced at a tenner
Sounds a good deal. Right place, right time.
Nearest lidl to me is in Bradford .. never been and it's only 9 miles away. There is one in coln so might look in next time wife wants to go to boundary Mills.. lol

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Re tyred

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2016
in my house
Sounds a good deal. Right place, right time.
Nearest lidl to me is in Bradford .. never been and it's only 9 miles away. There is one in coln so might look in next time wife wants to go to boundary Mills.. lol

It's not currently in lidl shops it's in there clearance shops up here they are called Bargain Base may be called that down south as well.it's almost like entering a shop that's having a jumble sale. Had been in it a few times before I twigged it only had lidl brands in it made no mention that it was linked to lidl which in its case is the shop next door

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
It's not currently in lidl shops it's in there clearance shops up here they are called Bargain Base may be called that down south as well.it's almost like entering a shop that's having a jumble sale. Had been in it a few times before I twigged it only had lidl brands in it made no mention that it was linked to lidl which in its case is the shop next door
Where is the one you are going to?

Re tyred

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2016
in my house
Where is the one you are going to?

Ayr these shops are hard to find on internet tends to be local knowledge. Seems to def be one in gloucester and a ?pop up one in york would imagine they will be spread around the country but are not advertised that well for obvious reasons

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
That will be great of you can put a few pics on phill, I may just get one and use the other one for my helmet light.
It looks well made with thick cabling. Came next day and was extremely well packaged. Everyone says the batteries are fake but if I can get 1.5 to 2 hours that will do me fine and it's easy to swith between modes when riding which is a bonus. I use a small extension bar to mount it ans a frame bag for the battery.

That will be great of you can put a few pics on phill, I may just get one and use the other one for my helmet light.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Everyone says the batteries are fake but if I can get 1.5 to 2 hours that will do me fine
I still don't see that as an issue.

As said before, I am now on my third winter season of using the same batteries as you, and I am still getting an evening of riding use from them without having them run flat. It is seemingly only one person on here that has an issue with them.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I still don't see that as an issue.

As said before, I am now on my third winter season of using the same batteries as you, and I am still getting an evening of riding use from them without having them run flat. It is seemingly only one person on here that has an issue with them.
I tend to agree.. Especially as having had one light stolen without its battery I now have two fakes.. At little cost I might add..
When out last night I kept waiting for it to go flat.. but it didn't, which is good bearing in mind it has 2 leds...

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
When out last night I kept waiting for it to go flat.. but it didn't, which is good bearing in mind it has 2 leds...
Nevertheless, you should always carry a spare light. Without one, you're walking home. :eek:

As for the 'next best headlight'. For 16 quid, I really can't knock it. :)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Some people are content in not getting what they have paid for. Others aren't.
Not exactly sure what you mean here.. My £15 bought me a well made very bright double cree light with a battery and charger .. And a free surprisingly good rear light.
I think this is good value for money.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Personally, I reckon I got what I paid for. It's an inexpensive, fit for purpose, small sized, single LED bike light. It can be head or bike mounted and does a good job of illuminating the road or path ahead, even when going cross country. What's not to like? :)

• Agree
Reactions: Gubbins

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nevertheless, you should always carry a spare light. Without one, you're walking home. :eek:

As for the 'next best headlight'. For 16 quid, I really can't knock it. :)
Walking home?? Swimming home more like!! Unless the previously blinded dog walkers have recovered enough of their sight to fish me out of the canal...

• :D
Reactions: chris_n

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I can see everyone's point of view on this thread which range from discounted Lidl lights that do the job, through various chinese and UK offerings up to SW's efforts to get literally the biggest bestest headlight that's possible.
Can we all agree that this has been an interesting and informative thread?

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Just to qualify my earlier comment, it isn't aimed at anybody in particular, but it was prompted by one of EddiePJ's comments. The comment wasn't intended to 'troll' or wind anybody up.

When I purchase a battery with an advertised capacity, I expect to recieve said battery that delivers the advertised capacity. Although I don't know the actual capacities of the batteries purchased by various members who have contributed to this thread, I'm willing to bet that every single one of them purchased through ebay or any other China site fails to deliver the advertised capacity.

The one exception to this is soundwave, who I believe has purchased genuine cells. He of course paid a premium price for them, but with batteries, you definitely get what you pay for.

• Informative

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Just to qualify my earlier comment, it isn't aimed at anybody in particular, but it was prompted by one of EddiePJ's comments. The comment wasn't intended to 'troll' or wind anybody up.

When I purchase a battery with an advertised capacity, I expect to recieve said battery that delivers the advertised capacity. Although I don't know the actual capacities of the batteries purchased by various members who have contributed to this thread, I'm willing to bet that every single one of them purchased through ebay or any other China site fails to deliver the advertised capacity.

The one exception to this is soundwave, who I believe has purchased genuine cells. He of course paid a premium price for them, but with batteries, you definitely get what you pay for.
Following SW's lead I also bought the premium batteries which cost £26 for 4 cells and then another tenner for the box for them to go in made it quite an expensive power source, and as this was on the bike when it was stolen I will not be replacing it as it was just too expensive..
I take your point about the alleged capacity, but most of us have no way to check that anyway..

• Agree

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
you definitely get what you pay for.
Clearly not in my case, and nowhere have I made reference to capacity.

I paid about £8.00 for my six cell pack which is now on it's third winter season of use, and I guess has already given given me about 4,000 plus miles of off road use, and a very conservative guess of 350 hrs hours of use over that period.

To claim that you only got what you have paid for is clearly wrong in this case, especially given that I am still using said cheapo pack, which gets used and abused in all conditions, along with me taking zero care over charging.

The one and only issue that I have had is that the wires to the charger became fragile where they leave the charger. No big deal given the cost of the whole package.

So tell me how that is not good value for money, and how it could be improved upon, especially given the £8.00 cost?

Last edited: