Things on your helmet - dangerous?

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
How dangerous is it, (and I'm sure there aren't any official figures as yet), to stick things on your helmet. Like cameras (miniature), or like flashing lights?

I know you'd be doubly unlucky to get knocked off your bike and land on your flashing rear light (attached to the back of your helmet) and sustain skull injuries from a pair of AAA batteries, but??

Allen.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Vikings had horns on their helmets and seemed happy with them. :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
The Vikings had horns on their helmets and seemed happy with them. :)
They were for drinking out of........Silly:D

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
How dangerous is it, (and I'm sure there aren't any official figures as yet), to stick things on your helmet. Like cameras (miniature), or like flashing lights?.
I can't see any point in attaching a camera to your helmet because it would be too dark inside your Y Fronts for it to see anything. A flashing light on your helmet may attract unwanted attention when visiting a public convenience. This in itself could be dangerous, but as you say, there probably aren't any government statistics available for us to identify the magnitude of the risk.

My advice would be, don't do it because it's very wrong.

Last edited:

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Also, on a marginally less flippant note, Viking helmets were designed like all good helmets to deflect the blow away from the head. The addition of horns could have directed a badly wielded sword, and off target swipe, back into the head making for a seriously miserable Viking.

Likewise I'd have thought you should be careful not toh attach accessories that could direct and focus a blow into the skull.

Sevenhills

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2010
How dangerous is it, (and I'm sure there aren't any official figures as yet), to stick things on your helmet. Like cameras (miniature), or like flashing lights?

Allen.
I think that the reason motor cycle helmets are round and smooth is quite clear. and cycle helmets with bits that stick out is not a good thing.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Sevenhills said:
I think that the reason motor cycle helmets are round and smooth is quite clear. and cycle helmets with bits that stick out is not a good thing.
Barnowl said:
Likewise I'd have thought you should be careful not toh attach accessories that could direct and focus a blow into the skull.
Do motor-cyclists have trouble with, for example, visors? And I suppose that if I did land on the back of my head, my flashing red light could be pushed into my brain, but my gut feeling is that I'll be safer with it on my head than without.

It's all about odds, isn't it. (And I'll avoid sword-wielding Scandinavians).

Allen.