This arrived today :)

Ronnyuk

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2014
Bristol
ronny.ws
That's great thanks for that, can you add to your list if you hold down the Set button for 3 secs then let go then hold set again for 12 secs you get to the Max Speed menu, this can be set to a max of 31mph. :)

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Yeah nice one Rico, handy little guide that.
Sorry but forgot to check for my bikes S/N last night...I'll have a look later though.
Like the videos btw...I must be an anal e-biker for watching them too..mind you TV was carp last night..!
I've got an old cam somewhere so if I can find it and it still works I'll post a capture of my commute along the Mersey and across to Liverpool on the ferry..cue Gerry Marsden...

D

Deleted member 4366

Levels 1 to 6 are speed, not power. Eco, Normal and Power are the power settings.

ricoghardforth

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2014
Rotherham
The frame number is below the handle bars on the frame facing forwards around the tube. I've just registered mine on the bikeregister. I think it said it was not a unique number or did it say it may not be unique. bugger I'm not sure now. Mine is 10 digits ending in 40399. A component marking kit is now on the way with my unique bikeregister id tags though.

Ronnyuk

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2014
Bristol
ronny.ws
I will register mine over the weekend, I might have to sort out insurance too as I was with the AA last year and they covered the bike up to £1500, I changed to Dial Direct and I think I have the same cover but will now have to check.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Yes, Strava seems to be a long way off. Part of the Deer Creek bike run in Colorado is called "The Wall" which is 20%, filmed here:

And finally a film of a cyclist on a 38% climb in San Francisco :

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
The frame number is below the handle bars on the frame facing forwards around the tube. I've just registered mine on the bikeregister. I think it said it was not a unique number or did it say it may not be unique. bugger I'm not sure now. Mine is 10 digits ending in 40399. A component marking kit is now on the way with my unique bikeregister id tags though.
Well spotted Rico..I'd tried under the bb and around the cranks where I'm sure John said it was but found mine now where you said. Does yours start with a 'W' ? It's hard to make out my first digit as it's not stamped that well.
My kickstand arrived today and just fitted. Impresed again with the quality.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
That's just under 19%.
It's like banging your head sgsinst s wall here. How many timed fo have to ssy in place. Myoriginsl point wss thst Dave is speaking utter bull **** by saying that a legal pedelec could not make a 30% gradient hill. It was he that conviently broke the whole of my original linked ride down to be an average. Convienetly he failed to do the same for the OP's ride. He goed on about miss leading reviews and claims on here,then does the same himself. I could just as eadly claim that the 6,230ft of climbing that I completed this evening, wouldn't have been possible using a hub drive Oxygen. Gor all I know it would have failed after just a couple of thousand feet. The claim is just as ridiculas as Dave's. Evan taking Dave's original swipe at breaking my ride down, the ride was ridden using a mix of eco and tour, with sport hardly even touched. So with sport hardly touched anf one more power setting to go, the Bosch system wouldn't have struggled. Where the system would fail, is potentially in battery duration. The originally linked ride, didn't have much in reserve after climbing for approx 9miles solid But how many nine mile climbs are there.

D

Deleted member 4366

If anybody else can find a 30% hill where they live (not 30% from Strava, but with a sign that says 30% or 1 in 3 or confirmed by Google earth), go and try it on your legal bike and tell us how easy it is. I have two where I live that peak at about 30% for a short distance. I have 500w geared motors and 500w crank-drives, both running at 30 amps, which is double what legal bikes have. They all struggle up these slopes. Please pass on your experiences.

Eddie, you should check those slopes on Google Earth before spouting off like that.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Just a quickie, probably one for Dave as he knows his batteries, but is it recommended after first fully charging to then run the bike until the battery is depleted first time round..?

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
If anybody else can find a 30% hill where they live (not 30% from Strava, but with a sign that says 30% or 1 in 3 or confirmed by Google earth), go and try it on your legal bike and tell us how easy it is. I have two where I live that peak at about 30% for a short distance. I have 500w geared motors and 500w crank-drives, both running at 30 amps, which is double what legal bikes have. They all struggle up these slopes. Please pass on your experiences.

Eddie, you should check those slopes on Google Earth before spouting off like that.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think you guys are comparing apples and oranges.
Dave - (100kg?, tired knees, cycling to keep fit, but like most of us could be fitter)
Eddie - (70kg?, no knee issues, super fit to the point of nutty.)
Different heights, riding styles and weights.
If the rider is struggling with 30%, there is only so much the bike can do to assist. More rider effort stresses the bike less, as does a lower rider weight.

I have to say I think you are BOTH right, but at the end of the day as it depends on the rider more, I think Dave is more right and Eddie is just reaping the benefits of being a very light, very fit, very good mountain biker!

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Just thought I would also point out - I agree with Eddie's point about the averaging that Dave is doing.
Just because the total rise over a journey is 19% doesn't mean that there are not some flatter parts and not some steeper parts.
It's like taking the average speed of the journey and saying that this is the fastest the bike will go - it's not, that would be the max speed achieved, not the average.
I'm sure that Eddie has found some 30% hills in the Swiss alps by now!:)

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
The debate came about because D8veh said any legal ebike would struggle with a 30% gradient, and EddiePJ said he'd been doing 50% gradients in the Alps (as reported by Strava).

Strava has got its knickers royally in a twist here, and I think it's because it is not reporting the gradient of the track. If you zoom in on Eddie's ride it is indicated by a line only sampling position every now and then. It is not following the actual zigzag trail at all but connecting sampled points up the mountainside with straight lines. The gradient reported would seem to either be the direct gradient between the two sampled points or the actual slope of the mountain, not the gradient of the track at all.

Take the below as an example:

The gradient reported is 98%. You can't even stand up on an 98% gradient, let alone cycle up it. However the zigzag trail is navigable because it is traversing back and forth across that gradient.

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Not far behind you Ronny on 25ish after some more trails earlier. Its a very capable bike and yet to find any bad points, maybe apart from where to add a water bottle mount..any ideas ?..seatpost is not an option btw as Ive taken JamesW's advice and ordered a suntour ncx post. Also copied Rico and got some Big Bens coming but still to decide on a rack..

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Not far behind you Ronny on 25ish after some more trails earlier. Its a very capable bike and yet to find any bad points, maybe apart from where to add a water bottle mount..any ideas ?..seatpost is not an option btw as Ive taken JamesW's advice and ordered a suntour ncx post. Also copied Rico and got some Big Bens coming but still to decide on a rack..
Check that order Phil!
I just realised that the ncx seat post I have won't fit on my cube when it arrives and there isn't an ncx seat post in a 30.9mm diameter which is what is required. For £110ish a cane creek thudbuster exists in the right size, but I don't think getting the ncx and having to shim it to get it to fit is advisable for the frame warranty.