This arrived today :)

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
I saw a handlebar mounted bottle holder in a shop the other day - might go that route myself

Ronnyuk

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2014
Bristol
ronny.ws
Not far behind you Ronny on 25ish after some more trails earlier. Its a very capable bike and yet to find any bad points, maybe apart from where to add a water bottle mount..any ideas ?..seatpost is not an option btw as Ive taken JamesW's advice and ordered a suntour ncx post. Also copied Rico and got some Big Bens coming but still to decide on a rack..

Just hit 45 miles now and had a slight hiccup last night, well this morning lol, went into town for a "few" beers and took the bike, I have a underground parking space at work so it's all nice and secure, bike was showing full battery when I left at 8pm and cycled the 5 miles or so to work.
Was going to get a taxi home at 3am but thought I would cycle it, you guessed it battery went flat at 33,6v about 1 mile into my journey home and do you think I could cycle the thing with no battery up 5 miles of hills.. So I flagged a taxi and chucked it in the back :)

Dubster

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2012
North Yorkshire
Check that order Phil!
I just realised that the ncx seat post I have won't fit on my cube when it arrives and there isn't an ncx seat post in a 30.9mm diameter which is what is required. For £110ish a cane creek thudbuster exists in the right size, but I don't think getting the ncx and having to shim it to get it to fit is advisable for the frame warranty.
Make sure you check the size of the post on your bike. My Oxygen E-Mate 13ah was new in late June, their website specs say the post is 30.8mm, yet my bike came with a 30.4mm post.

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Thanks for the heads up on the seatpost James and Dubster. I did check my bike and its a 31.6 post then found Bike24.com do one in that size - check out link below:

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;navigation=1;search=Ncx;menu=1000,2,110;product=84027

So should be ok hopefully..ordered some cheap Big Ben tyres from them too.
I agree the handlebar seems the best solution for a bottle cage mount although the Oxygen's bar has limited room and lots of cables to contend with..any Oxygen mtb owners tried fitting one ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 4366

Ronnyuk

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2014
Bristol
ronny.ws
100 miles on the clock now, still going perfect, this is a brilliantly made e-bike, I had some problems charging the battery so contacted ebike direct and they explained how to charge the battery, the battery takes 12 hours plus for the first few charges and the sequence for charging is this;
Plug in charger to mains
Turn on battery
Plug Charger into battery

This now charges the battery perfect, a few small niggles, I got caught in lots of rain yesterday and the brakes make tons of noise when wet and the handle bar grips are a bit slippery when wet, apart from this amazing bike and it can get my 115kg weight the whole way home on throttle alone but I usually put in lots of effort and really enjoy it :)

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Also happy to report all good from my experience of the Oxygen so far.
My Suntour NCX post turned up finally from Bike24 and it's very slightly too big for the seat tube...Doh..! I'll send it back and try my old Post Moderne Cushy for now, as that should fit ok.

Should have gone for the 27.2mm version..so lesson learned, take old post out and measure more accurately next time..Doh..!

The rest of the goodies I've ordered have turned up so will post a few photos once I've had a chance to fit them.

Dubster

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2012
North Yorkshire
Also happy to report all good from my experience of the Oxygen so far.
My Suntour NCX post turned up finally from Bike24 and it's very slightly too big for the seat tube...Doh..! I'll send it back and try my old Post Moderne Cushy for now, as that should fit ok.

Should have gone for the 27.2mm version..so lesson learned, take old post out and measure more accurately next time..Doh..!

The rest of the goodies I've ordered have turned up so will post a few photos once I've had a chance to fit them.
What does the factory fit seat post have stamped on it? My bike must be a very close relative to yours and the original post is stamped as 30.4mm.

I had to buy a longer post to suit my height. I got a cheap 30.4mm but 100mm longer post and all fits well.

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
I checked last night and found the stamp you mentioned. It is 30.4mm as you stated, so I could have saved myself some hassle by checking properly first..never mind.
I'll probably get the 27.2mm version of the NCX post at some point and shim it as discussed elsewhere by James.

ricoghardforth

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2014
Rotherham
I checked last night and found the stamp you mentioned. It is 30.4mm as you stated, so I could have saved myself some hassle by checking properly first..never mind.
I'll probably get the 27.2mm version of the NCX post at some point and shim it as discussed elsewhere by James.
I've been considering getting the suntour ncx seatpost but not sure about shimming the post from 27.2 up to 30.4. I've found some shims on ebay to go from 27.2 up to 30.4 but they are only 80mm long. I'm a bit concerned about damaging the frame considering i've also got a beam rack mounted on it already. Can any one point me to James post on shimming please. Thanks

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Here you go Ric...

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/to-shim-or-not-to-shim.21564/

I've just ordered the 27.2mm version with a 30.4mm shim from Bike-discount.de for around £45 delivered (also opted for the neoprene cover for a couple quid..). Luckily my mate's taken the 31.6mm version I wrongly ordered, to put on his Cube BBS01 conversion, so saved me returning it to Germany..bonus..!
...I'm tempted to get one of those mtx trunk bags you've got though...must put away cards and stop spending money...!

ricoghardforth

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2014
Rotherham
Here you go Ric...

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/to-shim-or-not-to-shim.21564/

I've just ordered the 27.2mm version with a 30.4mm shim from Bike-discount.de for around £45 delivered (also opted for the neoprene cover for a couple quid..). Luckily my mate's taken the 31.6mm version I wrongly ordered, to put on his Cube BBS01 conversion, so saved me returning it to Germany..bonus..!
...I'm tempted to get one of those mtx trunk bags you've got though...must put away cards and stop spending money...!
I'm waiting for the heavy spring option on discount.de to come back into stock as I'm over the 100kg range of the medium spring. Couldn't find the 27.2 to 30.4 shim on the site though.

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
The medium spring one I ordered only came back into stock recently so they must be selling a few at their prices. Here's the link for the shim below. It's described as a seatpost reducer so I didnt find it first time either..but thats out of stock now too since yesterday. I nearly bought the cane creek one in Jame's link until I found the one below.

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/radon-seatpost-reducer-27.2mm-to-30.4mm-231693

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
How about something like this for a bottle holder ? Expensive for what it is but a good unused area to have a bottle cage, away from the nest of cables on the Oxygen (..and handy for my thermal coffee mug on my commute..)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Addictive-Bikes-Stem-Mount-Bottle-Cage-Holder-spacer-clamp-fit-ahead-quill-/191521325945?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item7239fd27ef
Thanks for that link! Ordered one up and already have it nicely fitted to my bike. Really simple elegant solution. I had spent a while wondering how I was going to get my bottle back on the bike as my oxy battery takes up most of my frame triangle.

Oh and I also have an NCX seatpost, really nice bit of kit and definately helps with the bumps. One day I will get myself a proper full suss but the post does a good job for now and works far better than most of the dropper types which really struggle with stiction due to the sideways load. I did have to use a thin seatpost shim but no problems at all.

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
No problem Planemo..glad it works well..any chance of a photo to show how it looks as I haven't got one myself yet, I was concentrating on some other upgrades first.

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
No problem Phil here you go. It also provided a suitable place to put my pump which was another problem I needed to sort out so two birds with one stone and all that!

20150807_101123.jpg 20150807_101149.jpg 20150807_101229.jpg 20150807_101318.jpg

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Looks good Planemo..and good idea with the pump mount too.
Does the bottle/holder get in the way at all when turning the bars hard left..?
Nice looking bike too..that an Oxygen kit..?..ignore that..just read your original post saying its an Oxy battery..

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
Yeah it does prevent the bars from turning to 90 deg but its not far off and it really isnt a problem for me. At a guess Its prob down to 80 deg before then cage touches the frame but I rarely use that much lock when riding so I am sure I can live with it!

Cheers for the comment. The bike started out as a bog stock Hardrock which I bought new in 2006 I think but the only stock item left is the frame, oh and one of the aheadset spacers!

2015-07-10 16.22.53.jpg

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
I could live with that too..as you say its rare to need to turn the bars that far.. if ever..I feel another ebay order coming on..;)
Nice photo..I think I remember your bike reading the long Oxy kit thread on here when they were on special offer..you put some decals on the kit wheel to match the front..smart idea and very oem looking.
Today I've swapped the oem Schwalbe Smart Sams for Big Bens for my commute, which gave enough clearance to fit some Beavertail xl guards too. The bike rides and rolls so much better on the road now after a quick test ride. Looking forward to my ncx post arriving, the topeak rack and some ergon gc1 grips then I can also fit the NC17 trekking bar I've already got to make it a more comfy ride hopefully.
Its fun turning what is already a great bike into one that suits your own purpose and riding style..it wont be long before my frame is the only original kit at this rate..!