Throttle mods

rh1968

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2010
Hope people aren't getting too fed up with constant questions - as I think I stated before I got my kit, I'm a former keen biker (and since getting the kit very keen ebiker!) but my electrical knowledge is close to zero!

The kit I bought has a thumb throttle of the type which seems fairly standard issue, three leds and an on/off switch. Unfortunately I have a couple of problems with it: it tends to stick occasionally when returning to "off", which has led to a couple of disconcerting moments, and anyway I'm finding it's making my hand cramp if I have to keep it open for any length of time (problem compounded by the fact that it's too small for my bars so I've had to gaffertape it on in an awkward position).

So, what I was thinking was that I could tape the throttle fully open and just use the on/off switch as my control (to be honest I've found having a graded throttle a bit pointless for me, if I want to go at 5-10mph I can manage that myself!). I can't see any good reason that this should be a problem but I don't want to wreck the kit I'm having so much fun with - can someone reassure me that I won't damage the controller with the proposed setup?

Many thanks,

Rendel

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Sounds like cruise control to me :p

I been wanting one for a while as I end up holding the throttle full, most the time when I need power though do use the graded throttle sometimes when starting off after a few turn of the pedals.

There are devices around that allow it, in fact I think there is a controller that maintains the throttle at any position if it held in postion for more than 30 seconds i.e. after you let it go it continues at the same throttle setting. Obviously in this case a cutout brake to kill the power would be essential :eek:

My cutout brakes work, but if I keep the throttle full then when I release the brake it goes back to full power :confused:

The best implementation I have tried was the early Cytronex system, one button on/off and it goes to haff power the second button is a two push affair where push once goes to full power and push again back to half. Their cutout brakes also killed the power until you reset the on/off push button again. Great system.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

rh1968

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2010
Thanks Jerry - a cruise control would be ideal, but I'm guessing I can't do any harm (to the kit at least!) with my idea - using the on/off switch is only the same as quickly pushing the throttle open, I assume?

aseb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2009
Sensible approach is to get a controller with cruise control.

If you wire it yourself consider an easily reached cut out switch just in case- you don't want to hurtle into something at full speed because of a switch failure (that's when you'll think 15mph *is* pretty fast after all!)
If you have a brushed motor you can wire the motor direct to the battery but will need a fairly heavy duty switch- probably 20A or more. It should give more power than through the controller this way **but if it fails it would very probably be ON because the contacts have welded together.
If you have a brushless motor you need the controller but you can wire a switch into the lead to connect +5V to the signal lead so you get full power when its on and normal running when off. You could do this for a brushed too. Safer than direct wiring as lower voltage /current carried.

The best and safest way is a new controller with cruise control capability- you can operate things as normal using throttle changes as needed and will allow you to set the amount of throttle applied depending on your needs at that time.
It's probably worth mentioning that most cruise controls aren't true cruise controls in that it will be the throttle level that stays constant (as in your full throttle all of the time approach). True ones would give a constant speed. It is possible- but you need other parts.

Second best, less expensive, but still with a little risk is the throttle cable approach. You could probably expand this way by varying the voltage fed to the signal cable to give different throttle levels if needed.

The third way (brushed motor only, ditch controller) is probably best avoided because of the potential for the switch to weld itself in the on position).

(Out of interest I'm using the third method - short term- due to controller failure).

Last edited:

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
controller

Hi If you buy a Infineion controller from ebikes.ca the cruse control is enabled as standard they have a range off different power options

I have one on my bike at first i thought the throttle was faulty sticking but realized that after 7/8 seconds you could let go off the throttle and it ran at that speed until you braked with levers with switch connected or touched the throttle Also look at the cycle annalist it plugs into the controller and gives you Massive control

The Grin Cyclery

Not Cheap but the best FedEx delivery 4 days and they take paypal

don't forget you will have a duty and vat Bill from FedEx

The red wire is + 5volt the black is negative the 3 wire feed different voltage to the control chip so if you locked the throttle in one position and switched the 3 wire it would switch the power in and out at waht ever power you locked the throttle at

Frank

Last edited:

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Aseb I see on Ebay brushed motor controllers for scooters same as electric bike 36 volt 500 watt or 24 volt controllers

eBay item number 170594741917

price £24 delivered

Frank

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Hi If you buy a Infineion controller from ebikes.ca the cruse control is enabled as standard they have a range off different power options
Interesting, thanks Frank that is what I want too. I guess my 30 seconds was a little exaggerate but hopefully people got the gist of what I was trying to explain :rolleyes:

Regards

Jerry

aseb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2009
Hi Aseb I see on Ebay brushed motor controllers for scooters same as electric bike 36 volt 500 watt or 24 volt controllers

eBay item number 170594741917

price £24 delivered

Frank
Thanks. I managed to get a second hand shenzen sucteam 500W one from the US for under £15 including carriage.

D

Deleted member 4366

Are you saying that the throttle lever sticks, or are you saying that the lever returns, but the power to the motor stays on? If it's the latter, you may have a cruise control throttle, which is what Jerry was saying.