Throttle retrofit

Electric Ruth

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 24, 2021
I have an NCM Milano 48V which, in the main, I am very happy with. I have 2 main quibbles both of which I believe could be resolved if it had a throttle, namely:
-hill starts (anything that isn't totally flat or preferably down hill, it is such a heavy beast )
- very slow for motor to kick in (even on high assist levels) especially on steep hills approached at speed from a previous descent.

Could anyone please advise me whether it is possible to retrofit a throttle and whether this would help with these 2 issues?
Is this something I can do myself? I can see throttles are available on eBay but not sure what to buy.

Thanks in advance, any advice gratefully received.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
There have been some changes over the years, so I can't say for certain. First thing is to look on your wiring harness where it splits to go to the brakes and LCD to see if there is a fourth connector blanked off. I know in the past that DAS Kit reversed all the connectors, so you had to buy their parts if you want plug and play, but you can just cut off the connectors and join the wires directly if they don't fit.

If there's no fourth wire, you can pull out the battery and check if there's an unused three wire connector on the controller, which is probably for a throttle.

All throttles work the same with three wires. if they have extra features, like battery lights, switches, key-locks, etc, there will be more wires, but always three of them work the throttle.

If all else fails, you can replace the controller and LCD to become master of the bike regarding speed, power and control, but you'll probably have to cut the connector off the pedal sensor and maybe do something with the battery connectors.

I'm not sure, but I think the early versions had the controller in the frame above the battery, which means removing the upper battery retainer from the frame to get access, and the later ones have the controller in a box in front of the bottom bracket.

Reactions: Electric Ruth