Throttle wiring.

No Charge

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 3, 2017
Thame
Hello from Thame. I have acquired an e bike, chinese I imagine, and I wondered if any one could advise me how to make the throttle legal, since I understand a twist grip is now not allowed.
I wondered if it would be OK if it only worked when pedalling, how I could arrange that, since it operates without the need to pedal.
Otherwise could I remove it and replace it with one of the three level mode switchs I see around?.At present if just disconnect the throttle signal, power assist is not controllable for speed at all.
Any help most appreciated. Thankyou, Robert.

D

Deleted member 4366

Throttles are not illegal in this country.

No Charge

Sep 3, 2017
Thame
Throttles are not illegal in this country.
OK thankyou. I suppose I worry too much!
I read the 'new' regs, and must say I don't really understand them. I even read somewhere that you must type approve a throttled bike, but that ther'es no Type Approval facility to do it.
What a situation .
Like all your bikes, e bikes are fun.

No Charge

Sep 3, 2017
Thame
It's extremely complicated. Only Flecc understands it.
Looking back at some old posts, I can see (I think) that a throttle is ok if you keep pedalling with little ir no effort.
But my throttle operates independently, and does not require continuous pedalling. It is however overridden by the brake switches which cancel it.
New regs seem to prohibit this.
I could retro fit the throttle by taking it off and re-fitting it? Or could I supply the throttle with power from a pedal derived source.
Programming the controller is beyond me I think.
I would be happy to dispense with it if I could graduate the pedal assist input.
Or should I just get a life!

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Definitely the last passage ;).

I have a throttle on with my Q128c it assists up to 17.5 and is great for getting away at standing starts.

• Agree
D

Deleted member 4366

Looking back at some old posts, I can see (I think) that a throttle is ok if you keep pedalling with little ir no effort.
But my throttle operates independently, and does not require continuous pedalling. It is however overridden by the brake switches which cancel it.
New regs seem to prohibit this.
I could retro fit the throttle by taking it off and re-fitting it? Or could I supply the throttle with power from a pedal derived source.
Programming the controller is beyond me I think.
I would be happy to dispense with it if I could graduate the pedal assist input.
Or should I just get a life!
You can use your throttle when you like with or without pedalling. Your bike must have pedals though.

• Informative

No Charge

Sep 3, 2017
Thame
Thanks all for help. Off for a ride now to relax after trying to follow arcane regulations!
Hope the minefield doesn't get me.

• :D

No Charge

Sep 3, 2017
Thame
Can anyone tell me if I could change my twist grip throttle for a simple 3 or4 levels of assist? After riding with the twist grip I cannot easily just keep a background assist level. With no throttle the assist just goes to top speed unless you keep braking intermittently.
My old Tesco hopper just had a mode control dashboard and was perfect.
Thanks Robert.

D

Deleted member 4366

Anything is possible, but how can we tell you how without knowing what you have?

No Charge

Sep 3, 2017
Thame
Hi. Thanks for reply. I attatch a rough diagram of the set up, with the controller marked 3613g, complete with a phone number which I haven't rung becauseof language difficulties. It's a newish Chinese small bike , with front suspension so more comfy on the bumps. I still have my trusty Hopper which is going strong, apart from new batt which I made from rc heli packs.
Partly out of interest, I would like the Hopper's set up for 3 or so levels of assist, so I can add enough to get a bit fitter. This is not really on with a spring return twist grip.
With no throttle applied ,pedal assists continuously to max. When Intermediate throttle positions are applied , speeds are limited to reflect this.
Playing around, the throttle signal wire reads no voltage either disconnected or in position and working which I suppose is what confuses me, because I had hoped to adapt or build a suitable ladder of resistors for my purpose.
Since the throttle works without pedalling, it is independent of the pedal sensor, which when active somehow engages speed limiting as above.
Thanks Robert (mess with it) George.

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

OK, you have a cheapo controller that only gives max power when you pedal. Nearly all Chinese ebikes used to be like that.

You have two possibilities:

1. Buy a modern controller. For about £40, you can get one from Aliexpress with an LCD and several levels of assist. For a bit less, you can get one with an LED panel and three levels of assist. For about £70, you can get one with an LCD that will make your motor silent and give very smooth and controllable pedal assist. The cheaper options still give a bit of a surge on take off, but not as bad as what you have now.

2. Cruise control. You can easily make a mechanical cruise control by using a thumb lever throttle. Use an old light clamp or similar on the handlebars with a long bolt through it that reaches accross the throttle lever. Do it up just tight enough to hold the throttle in position, then use the brakes to switch on and off the motor.

The throttle works on 5v. Red is 5v, black is ground and white is the signal whire, which gives 3.8v at full throttle and 1.2v at zero throttle. As a safety measure, the controller won't give any power if it sees more than 1.2v at startup until it sees it go down to 1.2v or less.

You can use any resistor array with switches to split the 5v into whatever signal you want to give a fixed speed. You can run it in parallel with the throttle so just splice the three wires. The controller will respond towhatever voltage is in the signal wire, which will be the bigger of the two.

When you use a fixed throttle or cruise control, you can stop with the brakes, which will cut the power, but it's easy to forget and let go of the brake after you've stopped, with obvious consequences. It takes a while to train yourself not to do that.

If you're really clever, you can use an arduino to sense a PAS signal and translate it to a throttle signal.

Apart from the £70 option above, you must bear in mind that throttle signals are for speed control, not power control. The controller has its own algorithms how to translate the speed signal into actual speed. They're normally something like: Give maximum power if your actual speed is below the target speed and reduce it when you get near, then stop power when you reach that speed. The cheaper PAS systems are the same as fixed steped throttle signals using the same power algorithms. The £70 option adjusts the power level for each PAS level independent of speed, which is why it's better.

• Informative
Reactions: JimRides

No Charge

Sep 3, 2017
Thame
Thank you so much for you definitive info. New controller is way to go - prob 40 quid version but could be tempted ....
I' ve checked Aliexpress and think you need a 250 watt version for 250 motor. Some say they're for more than eg 350 watts.
Don't want throttle, just pas but the £70 can handle all that I imagine. Any instuctions in it or on line. Any recommendations welcome preferably with panel and or lcd, or are displays not dedicated to any particular controller.
Many thanks Robert.

D

Deleted member 4366

What bike is it for?
Sensored or sensorless motor?
Voltage?

D

Deleted member 4366

That's a hall sensored motor then

That photo worries me because it's not a normal bike. What is it?

D

Deleted member 4366

We need to know the power. For that, you have to read it from the label on the controller, which is in the compartment under the battery.