Through the gears?

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
I know theres been threads on this subject before,but the only one I can find is the bloke with his video clips and it doesnt explain it to silly people very well

I read the Panasonic crank motor drives through the gears.If you have a front or rear hub motor you can still use deraillier gears?So please explain,slowly once more please!With no long words.;)

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I know theres been threads on this subject before,but the only one I can find is the bloke with his video clips and it doesnt explain it to silly people very well

I read the Panasonic crank motor drives through the gears.If you have a front or rear hub motor you can still use deraillier gears?So please explain,slowly once more please!With no long words.;)
AFAIK most of the hub motored bikes use derailler gears, the Panasonic bikes use hub gears. Did you mean something else?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
On the Panasonic crank system, the chain passes over an additional sproket, close to the front chain ring. This additional sproket is driven by the motor so it has the effect of adding to your pedal effort directly onto the chain and hence to the rear wheel. The rear wheel has a standard hub gear system in the case of the Kalkhoffs, so all of the drive, rider + motor goes throught the gear system. The newer Kalkhoff Pro C S uses a derailler gear as opposed to the hub gears.

Panasonic also make a hub motor which drives the wheel directly about the hub missing out the chain mechanism. Hub motor bikes tend to use derailler gears, but if the motor is in the front wheel, I suppose hub gears could be used.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As a picture is worth a thousand words, go to the webpage below, scroll down a third of the page and there you'll see an exposed motor type that drives through the gears by a motor chain sprocket. You'll see it doing that while all the gears are being changed.

This is what the Panasonic unit also does, though it's motor sprocket is hidden behind the chainguard:

Cyclone demo page

P.S, There's a freewheel in the chainwheel, which is why the lady riding the bike after the gears demo doesn't have to pedal while the chain is running with the motor driving the bike.

Last edited: