thule towball cycle carrier

lantus

Pedelecer
May 28, 2010
hi

looking into getting one of these as ive heard people say there ok to carry e-bikes,and tesco direct have them on sale for £98 for the 2 bike carrier.however when ive looked into it the max load is only 30kg which wont be enough for both bikes (22kg each).even the bigger 3 bike carrier only goes up to max 45kg which is very close to the max of two bikes.

So are my bike about average weight and if so are people just using carrier to carry one bike, or ignoring the max weight.

any other towball carriers with greater max weight than these?

any help wlecome!

lantus

Pedelecer
May 28, 2010
Think that may be the answer, but wow what a price.(way beyond me!):eek:

C

Cyclezee

Hi Allen,

I have had the 3 bike version of this Thule carrier Thule Ride On Tow Ball Bike Carrier for over 3 years without a problem and it is more than capable of carrying 2 electric bikes with batteries removed which is more secure in any case. I wouldn't chance more than 1 electric bike on the 2 bike carrier or more than 2 on the 3 bike carrier

I paid less than £100 at the time.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
hi

looking into getting one of these as ive heard people say there ok to carry e-bikes,and tesco direct have them on sale for £98 for the 2 bike carrier.however when ive looked into it the max load is only 30kg which wont be enough for both bikes (22kg each).even the bigger 3 bike carrier only goes up to max 45kg which is very close to the max of two bikes.

So are my bike about average weight and if so are people just using carrier to carry one bike, or ignoring the max weight.

any other towball carriers with greater max weight than these?

any help wlecome!
There will be a healthy factor of safety built into that 30 Kg maximum load. If you remove the batteries from both bikes, you are only going to be about 8 Kg (25%) overloaded. It will handle that.

Obviously, it is your choice. Don't come looking for me if the bikes come adrift!

lantus

Pedelecer
May 28, 2010
Hi Allen,

I have had the 3 bike version of this Thule carrier Thule Ride On Tow Ball Bike Carrier for over 3 years without a problem and it is more than capable of carrying 2 electric bikes with batteries removed which is more secure in any case. I wouldn't chance more than 1 electric bike on the 2 bike carrier or more than 2 on the 3 bike carrier

I paid less than £100 at the time.
thanks john would be safer with the 3 bike one,are they as easy as they look,and how less then £100 ;)

C

Cyclezee

thanks john would be safer with the 3 bike one,are they as easy as they look,and how less then £100 ;)
They are quite straight forward to fit, obviously the e-bike type would be better, but I think £300 is a bit much unless you are going to use it everyday.

Mine was less than £100 because that was the best price I could find 3 years ago, today they seem to around £170, although this on eBay is a good price
Thule 9503 Bike Carrier RideOn for Cars with Tow Bars | eBay UK

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
I've got a Thule Express 970 Cycle carrier which fits directly onto the towball and clamps very snugly indeed. It's only downside (apart from the weight limit of 30kgs) is that the rear door of my Octavia Scout can't be accessed once it's in place. On the positive side it very light and easy to use and only costs around £50!

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
I bought this about 3 years ago Cycle rack

I have carried about 50 to 53kg on it all the way from Stoke to Torquay with no probs. Im really chuffed with it and i have no doubt it will carry two electric biles minus batteries its just the lifting that would be more of an issue but only if you dont do it right. I know you were looking at toe bar versions but i thought i would offer my experience

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Jon, thanks for a new train of thought. I've seen similar carriers and wondered how they would work with Dutch-bike types? Are they designed just for bikes with cross bars? The lifting element could become a problem in future years ...
Best wishes,
Tom

lantus

Pedelecer
May 28, 2010
I bought this about 3 years ago Cycle rack

I have carried about 50 to 53kg on it all the way from Stoke to Torquay with no probs. Im really chuffed with it and i have no doubt it will carry two electric biles minus batteries its just the lifting that would be more of an issue but only if you dont do it right. I know you were looking at toe bar versions but i thought i would offer my experience
thanks,but had this type of bike rack style for non electric bike in the past and my wife was on hot bricks every time i used it, would'nt fancy two e-bikes on myself.I'll stick to the towbar mounted i think.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
And what about security? At least with a tow bar rack you can use a motorbike chain and lock to secure bikes to the tow bar frame........

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
Using the boot mount carrier i still use the tow eye with a strong cable lock

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Using the boot mount carrier i still use the tow eye with a strong cable lock
cable locks? have not seen a decent one yet.....and for 2 bikes that can cost £3000or more, I dont think so.....