Tom P

T Pringle

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 12, 2012
Hi all - just new to this site and looks very interesting/helpful! Live near Crowborough East Sussex and its uphill in all directions from my home! Purchased a Kalkhoff pro connect 3 years ago and has been a live saver since I don't drive in England yet! Usually do 20 - 30 miles a day, carrying a spare battery in my pannier. This bike eats up the hills and have had absolutely no problems - only had to change tyres, and probably did that sooner than needed! Other than a lady with a pedelec down the road, haven't seen many others around here!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Tom, welcome to the forum. Good to hear your Pro Connect is giving such good service they are very fine e-bikes.

In most areas e-bikes are very spars ely* distributed, I've yet to see another one being ridden over all the years I've been in the North Surrey/South London area, apart from once when I met another member for a ride.

* I had to put a space in this word since this site seems to think it's a rude word! As here: sp****ly

Last edited:

T Pringle

Apr 12, 2012
Thank you flecc! Must remember what NOT to attempt to type here then!! Been reading some of the forums and appears, as one member said, you know everything about e bikes! I was wondering (now that you are here!) if you have any opinions on disc brakes versus "v" brakes? The v breaks on my bike work ok but do seem to require a lot of adjusting and general fiddling with and I was thinking of other types that may work a bit better - not even sure if it would be possible to install disc brakes on the pro connect!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, sp****ly obviously provoked a rear guard action!

I personally like V brakes, but discs do have the advantage of avoiding rim wear and are better for off road use. If your bike isn't equipped to have discs it's probably not worth attempting a change since it doesn't have the calliper mounts. Kalkhoff do make disc brake versions now as you'll see on the 50cycles site.

Disc brakes are not always entirely free of the need for fiddling, especially cable operated ones, not all of which work too well.

T Pringle

Apr 12, 2012
Yes, sp****ly obviously provoked a rear guard action!

I personally like V brakes, but discs do have the advantage of avoiding rim wear and are better for off road use. If your bike isn't equipped to have discs it's probably not worth attempting a change since it doesn't have the calliper mounts. Kalkhoff do make disc brake versions now as you'll see on the 50cycles site.

Disc brakes are not always entirely free of the need for fiddling, especially cable operated ones, not all of which work too well.
Thanks - will probably stick with the v brakes - Leave well enough alone!

paulhipwood

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2012
Halesowen
The v breaks on my bike work ok but do seem to require a lot of adjusting and general fiddling with and I was thinking of other types that may work a bit better - not even sure if it would be possible to install disc brakes on the pro connect![/QUOTE said:
I have been using Swissstop brake pads for years, Green type. I have Shimano XTR V brakes. The pads are held in cassettes and just slot in, there are held in place with a pin.
Once set up no adjusting until they need changing. They are expensive £22 for four; but they last thousands of miles.
regards
paul