Tonaro Enduro - First impressions

DK2

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 7, 2011
I bougt the Tonaro Enduro 100 Km's ago from Powerpedals. I must say, that they give an excellent support to me as a customer abroard.

So far I must say that I for the price are very satisfied. I live in Denmark, and a bike comparing to this would have cost me 40 - 50% more here. (But would the may me have been of a more known mark?)

My intentions with the bike is to get back in to shape with cycling again. I've become to heavy and too much out of shape, so I wanted to take up cycling again, which I have done on and off since I was 3 y.o. and got my first 3.wheeler.

I'll mostly use it for trips around our hilly town, and the plan is to use it as a replacement for the car, for as many of the shorter citytrips as possible. Also for going shopping groseries etc. around town. It's also the plan to use it for going to the local woods, which is about a 20 km roundtrip, when we go collecting mushrooms etc. I therefore also invested in an Oxtrailer, which I've fitted with a big plasticbox for carrying stuff around. (Groseries etc.)

All in all, I shold this way be able to cut down a lot on petrol for the car, and get a lot more exercise. (win - win situation)

Delivery:
The bike came well packed in a double heavy cardboard box, and was in perfect shape when it arrived. Easy to assemble.

Frame, wheels, tires:
Bike seems build like a tank, sturdy frame, rims seem to be good (chineese make) tires from Kenda. (Will be changed when worn out). Front fork and the discsbrakes works very well.

Lights:
Comes with battery backlight with either flicker or steady light. Takes 2 AA batteries. Front light takes 4 AA's and have 5 light diodes. the frontlight is fine for riding in the city and bee seen, but for riding dark countrylanes and paths, you will need something with more power. I've ordered a Hope Vision 1.

Drivetrain etc:
Bike has a small "controlbox" at the handlebar, which turns the electrics on and off, and gives you 3 modes of assist level, low, mid and high. I mostly ride in mid and high so far, and theres a lot of pulling power awaileble. Theres a row of light diodes indicating battry level. 20 km + riding only puts out first diode with my ridong style, so plenty of juice in this 36 volt 10 Amp Lipo battry.
I high mode, one has to be a bit carefull when shifting upwards under load (for instance up-hill) when the motor is pulling, as it puts strain on the chain and the shift happens with a rather big clonck.
Instead I slightly tuch the brake handle, which stops the motor, make the shift by pedealpower, and when you let go of the brankehandle motor pulls again. This takes only a fraction of a second when one is used to it, it goes smoothly and takes the clonck away.
Downshifting is no problem, and clonk upshifting is less in low and mid assist mode. Otherwise gears, chain etc. works very well.

Modifications:
As I favour a more upright riding position, I've changed to an other and higher handlebar. The standard saddel (which is really not the best of saddles) went straight in the bin, and on came my old gel saddle. I've fitted a handlebar bag, and had an old pair of short rear panniers that I can sling over the rear carrier when going shopping for minor things. Panniers is not easy to fit on this bike, because the disign of the frame. Trailer will be used for bigger shopping. Due to fitting the bag at the handlebar, I've moved to frontlight and fittet it on top of the front mudguard.

I also removed the magnet on the rearwheel, thus getting rid of the 25 km pedalec speedlimit. Now power in high mode tails off around 33 - 35 km/t. and the bike is much more fun to ride.

First impressions:
The bike is good to ride and handles really well, once one has gotten used to front suspension. My old bike was a Batavus Acoma with 21 gears, and even then heres only 8, it's never a problem.

The Enduro is heay to lift, but handles very well when ridden. My old bike was only 14 kg with all asseroies fitted, and the Enduro is much heavyer. I suspect this is the price we have to pay for motor and battery, as it weighs around 25 kg. With me ( 100 kg +) on it still rides good and handles well. Much more stiff in the frame than my old bike.

I'm really pleased with the bike so far. Due to bad wheater I haven't been on any longer trips, so no experience so far with regards to battery capacity. I've charged it two times so far, but only topping it up. I hasen't been anyway near empty so far. I've taken many shorter trips around town and I normally ride in assistence mod mid on flat ground and shift to high on the hills. It's really a pleasure just to sail up those hills.
I only use the bike in pedalec mode, as one of the points for me, also were to get some exersice.

Before I desided to buy the Tonaro Enduro, I tried variuos e-bikes here in Denmark. All of them with motor in front wheel and internal gears in the rear hub. I find the Tonaro concept with the crankmotor drive through gears to be much quieter, and feels more powerfull. Also many of the bikes I tested didn't seem to be as sturdy build as the Enduro. Also I wanted something with tires that could be used on forst paths ect. and here the Enduro is better equipped. It also had front suspension and discs brakes, which none of the danish e-bikes could offer at this pricelevel. I feel that I've got a lot for the money spent. I'll write an update on ths bike once I've passed the 500 km mark.

amiskin

Just Joined
Oct 10, 2011
HX7 7PJ
Sounds as if you have made a good investment and also nice to hear about the excellent service from Powerpedals ....... but Hills ?? The highest point in Denmark is less than 175 metres high. Even in Holland which is considerd to be very flat you have hills over 300 metres.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Glad to hear you are enjoying your bike.
I agree with you about removing the magnet......much more fun :D
Look forward to your update.

Lynda

DK2

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 7, 2011
Sounds as if you have made a good investment and also nice to hear about the excellent service from Powerpedals ....... but Hills ?? The highest point in Denmark is less than 175 metres high. Even in Holland which is considerd to be very flat you have hills over 300 metres.
There's plenty of short steep hills here. Worst is 8%! You need to come here to judge that. Holland is as flat as a pancake compared to my home town which lies near the limfjord in the North Wester part of Denmark. Old ice age rim landscape with lots of hills, small vallies etc. pelenty use for an e-bike when beeing 52 and out of shape.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
8% shouldn't trouble any e-bike though. I live up a 14% and pull trailers up and down it as shown here, and have to cope with up to 25% quite regularly, so I tend to think hills only start at around 10%!

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
8% shouldn't trouble any e-bike though. I live up a 14% and pull trailers up and down it as shown here, and have to cope with up to 25% quite regularly, so I tend to think hills only start at around 10%!

OMG Flecc......were you moving house ?? :D

Lynda

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
OMG Flecc......were you moving house ?? :D

Lynda
No, just one of my rubbish and recycling 6 mile trips to the council depot that I did for 54 neighbours until recently. As a concession to my age, I've cut that down to only my immediate 18 neighbours now. For logistical reasons the council can't provide our properties with a recycling service.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
No, just one of my rubbish and recycling 6 mile trips to the council depot that I did for 54 neighbours until recently. As a concession to my age, I've cut that down to only my immediate 18 neighbours now. For logistical reasons the council can't provide our properties with a recycling service.
As always Flecc.......you never cease to amaze and impress me :)

Lynda

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
No mountain high enough

Hi DK2,
anything out of the Tonaro stable is going to be really good ,i have the Tonaro Bighit ,i too bought from Powerpeddals ,and Phil is indeed a top guy ,i have done miles on mine and can tell you there is not many hills that your Enduro wont laught at ,i once wrote that you dont just ride the Tonaro Elec cycles ,you have to master them as there is so much power at the crank ,you have to use the brake as a clutch so as the gear change is sweet as you have discovered lol
Have fun my friend ,i have a cargo one wheel trailer coming today and i cant wait to fill it with my camping gear and see if the Tonaro Bighit lives up to all the praise i have bestowed upon it over the last 2yrs ,best wishes Brian, oops am i replying to old posts ,well silly me ,i must be living in the past ,

Last edited:

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
No great adventures so far - just trying out some of the very nice cycleways we have up here. Unlike your ascents of the Great Orme and suchlike.

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
No great adventures so far - just trying out some of the very nice cycleways we have up here. Unlike your ascents of the Great Orme and suchlike.
Hi Willin ,and yes the Great Orme was indeed a great adventure but on every cycleway begins another adventure and so it never ends my friend ,i am going camping in a few days time , i have bought a two man dome tent and a load of other gear then realised i could not carry it all lol so i have bought a cycle trailer ,the sort with one wheel lol and booked a campsite in witchurch right by the canal ,its about 30 odd miles from where i live so i hope the battery holds out .
anyway what about you any plans on going on a world cycle tour because if you are put my name down ,and i will come along for the ride lol take care Brian.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I have had my Tonaro Enduro for over a year now and am still as pleased as punch with it.
My son recently bought a Bighit and is delighted. He never stops talking about it!
I don't know why certain posters on here criticise them. To me, the simple wheel magnet and 3 position assist switch are all that are needed and they work well. Bikes with strain guages etc require you to spend money on things that you do not need. Worse still, most of the important bits are inside and not really get at able. The Tonaro can have a throttle fitted very easily, and in fact I have disabled my pedelec and only use throttle which seems far more natural to me.

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
I have had my Tonaro Enduro for over a year now and am still as pleased as punch with it.
My son recently bought a Bighit and is delighted. He never stops talking about it!
I don't know why certain posters on here criticise them. To me, the simple wheel magnet and 3 position assist switch are all that are needed and they work well. Bikes with strain guages etc require you to spend money on things that you do not need. Worse still, most of the important bits are inside and not really get at able. The Tonaro can have a throttle fitted very easily, and in fact I have disabled my pedelec and only use throttle which seems far more natural to me.
Hi Mike
its real good to see how well the Tonaro range has done ,,i use my Bighit all the time whilst my Romahome stands idle ,i too never quite understood why certain posters on here criticise them, at the price they sell for a real bargain,any way keep the flag flying,best wishes Brian.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Hi Mike
its real good to see how well the Tonaro range has done ,,i use my Bighit all the time whilst my Romahome stands idle ,i too never quite understood why certain posters on here criticise them, at the price they sell for a real bargain,any way keep the flag flying,best wishes Brian.
Well, there seems to an attitude that if it is German, it must be good, the rest is Chinese tat.
To me, German machines are overpriced because of the type of market they have in Germany, which seems to want over specced, pricey bikes, and their consumers are willing to pay.
For me, value is paramount. There is no point overpaying if something else will do the job, and the basic simplicity of the Tonaro gives me what I want. In June, I rode a very high end normal bike and was not impressed at all. The gears and brakes might be needed for a Tour de France type rider, but for the riding I was doing, I could not distinguish any better braking or gear changing than I get with my Tonaro.