Tonaro Enduro without power....Video

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
Here is a little clip I made today to see how the Enduro goes without the power turned on. Jannie was the tester. You can hear we had a pretty strong wind to contend with as well.

I had no chance of staying anywhere near her on my racing bike.

It was good to see that at least I can ride the Enduro home if the power dies on me.

As you will hear in the clip, I tell Jannie to turn the power on and up the gears towards the end of the clip. I was pedalling like hell to try and keep up but you can see what happens.

YouTube - ‪Tonaro Enduro-WITHOUT power‬‏

Steve

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Steve, that's an excellent video. The bike seems to ride really well without power a good result. I did a 28 mile run on my Alien today and the battery died on the 15% hill I have to climb to get home...it's was bloomin hard work getting it up the hill and on the flat I could only manage about 11mph...really tough work....I was wishing I had taken my PCS out instead!

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
You know the bike dont look to bad in the video.......better then in any pictures I have seen. Gearing looks OK as well.....maybe good value after all (he says wiping the egg of his face:p)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That is good Steve, rather like my old Lafree which was easy too, my hub motor bikes more like NRG's experience with the Alien. Running out of battery with them being a real pain.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
You know the bike dont look to bad in the video.......better then in any pictures I have seen. Gearing looks OK as well.....maybe good value after all (he says wiping the egg of his face:p)
Wow.....has that macho daahub and lovely new bike mellowed our eddieo ?? :)
Yay.......result :)
Lynda

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Hi Steve ,talk about Power to the people ,super video ,at last we can see the awesome strenght of this seriously quick bike ,Whats that i hear ?no laughter ,good,then maybe we can sit back and admire all that this beautiful bike has to offer,and well done to the speed queen Jannie,she did us Tonaro lovers real proud,very best wishes Brian.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
"Tonaro lovers" is that legal?:confused: And my observations stop well short of "Beautiful":)

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
"Tonaro lovers" is that legal?:confused: And my observations stop well short of "Beautiful":)
LOL ,YOU KNOW eddieo you are slowly killing me with your enthusiasm, i bet holidays are real fun with you ,lol Humbug and all ,lol but still my very best wishes go out to you my friend ,keep the faith,Brian.

sorry to keep editing but how do you add the Eddie: Specialized Crosstrail Ltd disc with Wisper DaaHub
KTM Macina Cross - Bosch powered bits to the bottom of your posts ,because i could do that on my posts .

Last edited:

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Its in the profile/signature ...

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Select 'Forum Actions' drop-down menu.

Choose 'Edit Profile'.

In 'My Settings' on the left-hand side, choose 'Edit Signature'

Compose your signature, then 'save signature'.

It will then be added automatically to the bottom of all posts

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
LOL ,YOU KNOW eddieo you are slowly killing me with your enthusiasm, i bet holidays are real fun with you ,lol Humbug and all ,lol but still my very best wishes go out to you my friend ,keep the faith,Brian.

sorry to keep editing but how do you add the Eddie: Specialized Crosstrail Ltd disc with Wisper DaaHub
KTM Macina Cross - Bosch powered bits to the bottom of your posts ,because i could do that on my posts .

Just a bit of fun...........By the way what does your girlfriend look like?:D

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Just a bit of fun...........By the way what does your girlfriend look like?:D
Hi lol eddieo, you know eddieo ,i cant remember what my Girlfriend looks like ,she went out 10 yrs ago ,and never came back lol i wouldnt mind but she only went out for a bag of sugar ,it tells you some thing about me ,does it not ,charming ,de bon air , Self-Made Idiot,or maybe she ran off with a real biker,lol,my very best wishes my friend ,any ways really pleased you have come to your senses,and agree the Tonaro is indeed beautiful ,a lady amongst tramps ,and thats no dissrespect to the fine ladies on here,Brian.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Every day approx 600 people disappear in Britain......do you think your girlfriend was obducted by aliens or found a bettter catch?:confused:

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
This is definitely an advantage with this bike - the ability to ride a decent speed with no power. Hubs need a clutch a feel as standard. I wouldnt dream of riding any hub bike back from my work place with no power its far too much trouble. I know some say drag is hardly noticeable but i do wonder how honest they are being. On all the electric hubs i have tried there is noticeable drag. I do wonder if crank drive type of system is the future unless someone can design a worthy hub.

Do clutches in hubs add much weight?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Almost all do have clutches Jon, but they still have the drag sensation you've experienced. The clutch/freewheel only disconnects the motor from the centre gearwheel, the epicyclic gears still have to be rotated at all times as the hubshell turns.

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
Almost all do have clutches Jon, but they still have the drag sensation you've experienced. The clutch/freewheel only disconnects the motor from the centre gearwheel, the epicyclic gears still have to be rotated at all times as the hubshell turns.
Ahh ok, i was thinking like a car clutch ie disengagement etc. Is there a hub system that has no drag at all so you can choose to engage it or disengage it?