Tonaro owners unite !

[NoLongerRegistered#9756]

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 15, 2013
cheers flecc - very much appreciated :)

had a check but my volt meter is too wired into the vans leisure battery system to want me to take it out :(

my initial thoughts were as you suggested (red to brown Etc..) so that makes me feel better about my lack of electric knowledge.

Am now on daddy daycare so will try as you suggested later... what's the worse that can happen (EEK!!!)

so any idea what the spare 2 block connector is for - cruise control ;)

had a small set back - got a right hand twist throttle but it doesn't fit as it stops the gear levers from opperating so going to stick it on the left for now .... nothing is ever easy eh!!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
so any idea what the spare 2 block connector is for - cruise control ;)

had a small set back - got a right hand twist throttle but it doesn't fit as it stops the gear levers from opperating so going to stick it on the left for now .... nothing is ever easy eh!!
Since you aren't meter checking, as a precaution when you first connect up and switch on, only open the throttle slowly little by little at first to see if it starts the motor ok. If it doesn't start by half open, disconnect and recheck.

As that two pin connector isn't the brake cutout, it could be a lighting takeoff like that on the Panasonic units, a meter check could indicate that. Otherwise I don't know on your Tonaro since it's pedelec function is already in place.

If Tonaro don't supply one, CycleZee do left hand twistgrip throttles, both three and five wire types, if you can't get used to the reverse working on yours.

Last edited:

Mar 15, 2013
many thanks :)

Thanks for that flecc,

the red--> brown etc was spot on - all works now :)

haven't had a chance to test it as by the time i'd finally managed to get the handle grips back on and the grommit on the bike frame it was too late for a play but it all works as i would expect it too :)

as for that spare 2 block...... I've been thinking all night what a 'lightning takeoff' could be and how i could utilize it... quite fancied ripping cars and bikes at the traffic lights... imagine my suprise when i return this morning to find it was actually ' lighting takeoff' :(

lol

Mar 15, 2013
finally managed a proper run on the bike yesterday since installing the throttle (time poor) - can't belive how much it transforms the bike - took it down the farm track to the village last night and just coasted over the sections where it's best to stand up and not peddle... fantastic... cheers again flecc :)

now i just need to organise myself enough to start commuting on it

StuntmanBob

Pedelecer
Feb 14, 2013
Oh yeah, throttle is much more fun. My PAS has been disconnected for a while now, don't miss it at all.
There's a wiring diagram I knocked up here but its with a different controller - All the wire colours are as original though.

One day I will get around to finishing the drawing of the original wiring...

Last edited:

StuntmanBob

Pedelecer
Feb 14, 2013
Have I posted this here before? Apologies if so.

Carrying a spare tube is so last decade, I prefer to carry an e-spare:

The trailer and e-scooter were about 35kg, the bike towed it no problem whatsoever - even up a decent gradient.

Twistedgecko

May 27, 2013
Brisbane
hey guys, thought i would say hi. I'm waiting on delivery of my Zoco extreme, which is one of the many names over here in oz. It's the 48v 500w version with a few other nice additions. You can see it here Xtreme/. It's my first electric bike, and will be the first bike I've ridden in over 15 years!

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
hey guys, thought i would say hi. I'm waiting on delivery of my Zoco extreme, which is one of the many names over here in oz. It's the 48v 500w version with a few other nice additions. You can see it here Xtreme/. It's my first electric bike, and will be the first bike I've ridden in over 15 years!
Looks interesting - good to see it fitted with a chain tensioner on those hub gears also - should get reliable higher speeds off the crank drive with the 11sp hub and the motor/48V combo. Let us know how you get on with it and how the power delivery works on this one out on the road :).

D

Deleted member 4366

Entertaining??? Please tell me I've not made a mistake with the bike????
You haven't made a mistake. Presumably, it's covered by a guarantee/warranty. I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on changing gear with those hub-gears. I can't see it working very well with the PAS sensor. I hope I'm wrong. If you get any problems in that area, consider upgrading to a Nuvinci hub, which will change gear a lot easier and is also stronger. Gear changing will be a lot easier if you can switch off the PAS and use the throttle, like on a motorbike.

Twistedgecko

May 27, 2013
Brisbane
Yeah, it's all covered by a warranty. I think I will install a switch beneath the battery box for the PAS so I can turn it off as required.

I heard lot of people mentioning gear crunching on the standard gearing, ZOCO usually install Nuvinci, but not sure why they opted for the alfine. I've read reports of users enjoying the Nuvinci, but not heard anything about the alfine.

I'll let you know.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Yeah, it's all covered by a warranty. I think I will install a switch beneath the battery box for the PAS so I can turn it off as required.

I heard lot of people mentioning gear crunching on the standard gearing, ZOCO usually install Nuvinci, but not sure why they opted for the alfine. I've read reports of users enjoying the Nuvinci, but not heard anything about the alfine.

I'll let you know.
Reckon you'll see when you ride it. I've my doubts about quite how effective a Nuvinci would be in an effectively derestricted bike - don't know what sort of sensors that bike uses but if torque sensor is involved my speculation (from simple experience not any technical understanding of how) is that proportionate assistance requires resistance - and if that isn't enough you can't extract any more performance to get the extra assisted speed out. So maybe gear range and sprocket sizes are both relevant ? Someone can hopefully draw the links and explain (basically) why the high 11sp Alfine gearing range would matter to that particular bike.

With that hub, again only experiential, gear crunching is down to bad user adjustment, loose chain or excessive pedal pressure in too low a gear.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

The Tonaro motor's different to yours Alex. It uses a different type of controller that runs on a bit when you stop pedalling, which is why you get the crunching gears. Nuvinci can change gear under load, so you don't get the crunching, plus there's nothing to crunch because it's CVT.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
The Tonaro motor's different to yours Alex. It uses a different type of controller that runs on a bit when you stop pedalling, which is why you get the crunching gears. Nuvinci can change gear under load, so you don't get the crunching, plus there's nothing to crunch because it's CVT.
So you stop pedalling but it's like you've got a throttle stuck for a bit ?

D

Deleted member 4366

Correct. You only get it with the PAS. Throttle stoops instantly as long as you have PAS disabled or don't pedal.

Twistedgecko

May 27, 2013
Brisbane
I'd read about this, but the only time it's a worry, would be when you need to stop. the brakes kick in then anyhow. Apparently the sensor for the brakes kick in before the actual pads, so they can also act as a clutch. I guess I will wait and see

Twistedgecko

May 27, 2013
Brisbane
Be interesting to see what the range is, with a 10ah battery.
Sadly they don't offer a higher 48v at the moment. I will see how it goes, if it's not enough, I can always get a second battery at a later date. Either that or get a CA or something with a switch to govern what I put through it.

Reality is, I don't know yet how it will perform, i'm 196cm and 110kg at the moment, so that's gonna impact the range too. but it's a start, and I have a feeling after a month or two, I may end up buying a non powered bike and doing the 17km each way to work a day or two a week.