Tonaro owners unite !

D

Deleted member 4366

That's right. You can blip the brake to get better gesr-changes but then there's a slight delay before the power comes back. The only time you really notice the problem is when you need to change down when going up a steep hill. Once you're aware of how everything works, you'll find your own optimum way of working the bike. It's not really a big deal. It's just that normal hub gears would be effected most by this effect, so seems a strange choice.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Reality is, I don't know yet how it will perform, i'm 196cm and 110kg at the moment, so that's gonna impact the range too. but it's a start, and I have a feeling after a month or two, I may end up buying a non powered bike and doing the 17km each way to work a day or two a week.
Yuss, the commuting equation... Range is dependant on Power available vs. Rider sloth & lateness for work :rolleyes:

But - You'd find it Awful Hard to go back to unpowered flight, once you get used to the new bike...

Been there, tried that, ****** that!

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Be interesting to see what the range is, with a 10ah battery.
That's still 480Wh (more than you get on the "bigger size" 12Ah 36V Bosch battery). I'd hazard a guess at 25-30km without having to ration available assistance unduly to try to conserve battery and actually allowing bike to be ridden in a comfortable 35-40kph 'commuting speed' cycling range using the power capabilities bought. Obviously more by riding at 'mountain biker speeds'.

Higher speed assisted riding without considerable hard work on the part of the rider does 'eat' battery ... possibly as much as very steep hills if not more so. But 17km shouldn't be a worry with that setup - I'd have thought you'd realistically be able to get high assistance easy riding at good speeds all the way in average conditions and achieve journey in about 40 minutes or less, barring excessive traffic light impedence (!)

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Just don't push the range on the first charge, my Tonaro's range more than doubled after the fist charge.

StuntmanBob

Pedelecer
Feb 14, 2013
But - You'd find it Awful Hard to go back to unpowered flight, once you get used to the new bike...

Been there, tried that, ****** that!
Amen to that brother! My hardtail MTB seems so underpowered and slow now, its gathering cobwebs...

Its inevitable that a first time user will experience crunching gears with a derailleur. However as there is no gear change with an internal hub then not something you will have to worry about. From what I can gather, the Shimano and NuVinci hubs are similar performers but NuVinci 'spec' theirs with a little higher torque capability. As an aside, I recently replaced the cassette on my Tonaro with a NuVinci and they are the best thing since sliced bread IMO! Shame about the weight though.

The ebrakes are an instant cut-out, and adjusted correctly you can use them as a clutch (although not necessary as you have no gears to change). The 1-2 second run-on from the pas is by design, so it maintains power when you 'coast' around corners or stop pedalling momentarily etc.

The 36v versions are also now coming out with a 22A controller (they were 15A last year), but its interesting comparing identical bikes side by side - mine has a 20A Infineon controller on it from Ebikes.ca, whereas my mates Zoco has the new 22A stock (chinese made) controller. Mine is distinctly more powerful on acceleration and hill climbing, but we have similar top speeds. I blast up steep hills without full power, where he is cruising up using full power. A worthy upgrade, it would seem.

D

Deleted member 4366

Interesting about the controller currents. It seems that manufacturers are pushing it higher and higher, which is good news for those that are heavy and have steep hills to tackle. I rode a Bosch when they first came out, and it was immediately noticeable that it had a lot more power than any of the other bikes, but now there' s loads of other bikes that can match it. I wonder if we'll see currents creeping higher still. In many debates,the consensus was that we didn't want more speed, but more power for hill-climbing would be useful. It seems that our wish has been granted. 25 amps will be enough to satisfy most.

BTW the 1-2 second run on is not a design feature. If they could get rid of it, they would. It comes from the time period necessary to count pulses from the pedal sensor to decide whether you have started or stopped pedalling. It's this characteristic that precludes the use of Shimano hub-gears, which need to be unloaded to change - nothing to do with strength, although they may not be strong enough as well.

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
It is interesting the manner each individual controller delivers power. The stock controller on the Bighit is a hardy wee fellow and can deliver upto at least 1500watts under stress, but cruising on flat ground will only offer a lethargic half of that. The GNG2 with a K123 controller also peaks at 1500watts but under throttle seems to offer much more torque and top speed, for reasons that to me are entirely unclear. I intend to swap the stock tonaro controller for a lyen mini monster and will proclaim my findings to humanity in due course. Pedelec forum members will be pleased to hear thatboth initial and interim results will be leaked in advance to this site ahead of the mainstream scientific community.

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
I had a go on Funkys bike the other week and was surprised how responsive it was, power came straight in and cut out as soon as you stopped pedalling. It hasint got the grunt of my wasp but then mine takes longer than an oil tanker to stop.

Twistedgecko

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 27, 2013
Brisbane
Still waiting for delivery, appears because of the public holiday here on Monday, it will be next Wednesday by the time I receive it... And it looks like I will be flying to blighty on a short notice trip, so I have to wait even longer.

At least I can leave winter to the glory of summer, right???

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Blighty in Summer compared to Brisbane in winter? I suspect staying at home might be a better bet :)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
At least I can leave winter to the glory of summer, right???
Well, if you hurry up......yes, right !
Its going to be 25 degrees today and this is my 9th day of being able to sunbathe :cool:

Lynda :)

StuntmanBob

Pedelecer
Feb 14, 2013
Pfft, 25 degrees! We sunbathe at night in warmer temps than that!

Xmas day last year it hit 42 degrees here in Perth (WA, not Scotland). The only idiots seen outside were madmen (like me) riding their Tonaro's to the coast.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Pfft, 25 degrees! We sunbathe at night in warmer temps than that!

Xmas day last year it hit 42 degrees here in Perth (WA, not Scotland). The only idiots seen outside were madmen (like me) riding their Tonaro's to the coast.
25 degrees is wonderful, just right to get a nice tan without burning in an instant and still lovely to walk and cycle in.

I have lived in 45 plus at times in the south of spain, terrified the electric would fail and the life saving air con go off.....awful !!

I take my hat off to you though.....cycling in 42 degrees is truly truly mad, which means I must only be a little bit crazy....drat !! ;)

StuntmanBob

Pedelecer
Feb 14, 2013
It felt cooler on the bike than off (airflow) and merino-wear makes a great sunblock (as well as wicks away sweat). And of course, the bike handled it like the trooper it is - The motor was only mildly warmer than usual.

Don't take your hat off, you might burn. We can tell the Pommy tourists here, they are either pasty white or beetroot red depending on how many days they have been here, lol!

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
It felt cooler on the bike than off (airflow) and merino-wear makes a great sunblock (as well as wicks away sweat). And of course, the bike handled it like the trooper it is - The motor was only mildly warmer than usual.

Don't take your hat off, you might burn. We can tell the Pommy tourists here, they are either pasty white or beetroot red depending on how many days they have been here, lol!
Well you are certainly right there........it is a great bike :D

Its ok I can take my hat off safely, Ive got plenty long blonde hair for protection and now Im brown you wouldnt know me from a genuine sheila ....... as long as I didnt open my geordie mouth :cool:

twain

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne, Aus
Well you are certainly right there........it is a great bike

Its ok I can take my hat off safely, Ive got plenty long blonde hair for protection and now Im brown you wouldnt know me from a genuine sheila ....... as long as I didnt open my geordie mouth :cool:
Lynda
“I’ve got plenty long blonde hair for protection…”

Mmmm, I’m picturing Lady Godiva here; the modern day version that is –riding through town her trusty iron-horse Tonaro. :cool:

“you wouldn’t know me from a genuine sheila…”

Well, I won’t touch that line! -Other than I presume you meant to say: you wouldn’t know me from a genuine bronzed aussie sheila. :)

Lyn, I love your sense of humour
Hope mine is not too far over the top.

Cheers

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
“I’ve got plenty long blonde hair for protection…”

Mmmm, I’m picturing Lady Godiva here; the modern day version that is –riding through town her trusty iron-horse Tonaro.

“you wouldn’t know me from a genuine sheila…”

Well, I won’t touch that line! -Other than I presume you meant to say: you wouldn’t know me from a genuine bronzed aussie sheila.

Lyn, I love your sense of humour
Hope mine is not too far over the top.

Cheers
Certainly not over the top Twain, Im enjoying this aussie/geordie banter ;)

Yes, I did mean to say aussie sheila lol

Can I be counted as a modern day lady godiva whilst lying sunbathing in the garden ?
Cos thats what Im doing right now :cool:

Mind you, I have to tie my hair up as I dont want ANY white marks :p

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Come on all you Tonaro owners.....doesnt matter which model......the Tonaro Esprit is 'at the moment' standing in joint second in the poll for ''best ebike2011''........get voting all you happy Tonaro owners......lets show them what for !! :)

And before eddie,indalo et al jump for my jugular......ROFLMAO !

THIS IS JUST A BIT OF FESTIVE FUN !! :D:D

Hi my loving Lynda,

Can non Tonaro lovers also unite?? If not, why cant we all just get along??

MS. XXXX UNITY XXXX