Tonaro owners unite !

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Hi my loving Lynda,

Can non Tonaro lovers also unite?? If not, why cant we all just get along??

MS. XXXX UNITY XXXX

"United We Stand"..........and "Divided We Fall", at least I didnt notice any of you lot rushing to my aid this morning when I nearly fell over on my high heels and twisted my ankle :D

Dont know why Im laughing...it hurts, still, a justified excuse for more lying in the sun,' housey' stuff can wait for the rain to return.

Meanwhile my dear mountainsport I think we all are getting along just fine at the moment......look at us on this thread for example....chatting away with all our Aussie mates :cool:......even if they are all browner than us :mad:

BTW....what bike do you ride mountainsport and then we can decide if you can really join this happy band of lovers ;)

Lynda

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
PS.....forgive me if I dont get back quickly to any potential answer from you mountainsport........

but the Canadian F1 qualifying beckons right now....along with a bottle of Rose' :cool:

Lynda :)

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
"United We Stand"..........and "Divided We Fall", at least I didnt notice any of you lot rushing to my aid this morning when I nearly fell over on my high heels and twisted my ankle :D

Dont know why Im laughing...it hurts, still, a justified excuse for more lying in the sun,' housey' stuff can wait for the rain to return.

Meanwhile my dear mountainsport I think we all are getting along just fine at the moment......look at us on this thread for example....chatting away with all our Aussie mates :cool:......even if they are all browner than us :mad:

BTW....what bike do you ride mountainsport and then we can decide if you can really join this happy band of lovers ;)

Lynda
Loving Lynda, WHAT!! do you mean by "WE CAN DECIDE?" How about if I nicely and gently twist the other ankle for you to even things out? ................ Now as you were saying about letting me in? xxxxxxxxxxx

MS

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Loving Lynda, WHAT!! do you mean by "WE CAN DECIDE?" How about if I nicely and gently twist the other ankle for you to even things out? ................ Now as you were saying about letting me in? xxxxxxxxxxx

MS
LOL...ok, I can answer seeing as there is a delay with the F1 quali start.......

Well.......it really depends on how loving you can be mountainsport, and threatening my other poor ankle....well, it dont bode well does it .......hmmmm ?........

Now I dont mind a bit of rough treatment if the timing and situation is right, but twisting my ankle has never ever been mentioned before..........but seeing as you sent me a load of xxxxxxxxxxxx you can join OK ?

God, you can be soooooo forceful at times, Im more used to that from men....... :D

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
LOL...ok, I can answer seeing as there is a delay with the F1 quali start.......

Well.......it really depends on how loving you can be mountainsport, and threatening my other poor ankle....well, it dont bode well does it .......hmmmm ?........

Now I dont mind a bit of rough treatment if the timing and situation is right, but twisting my ankle has never ever been mentioned before..........but seeing as you sent me a load of xxxxxxxxxxxx you can join OK ?

God, you can be soooooo forceful at times, Im more used to that from men....... :D

Lynda, all I was asking was for you is to just let me in, but being Lynda the sauciness had to somehow find its way through into the equation :p

MS.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Lynda, all I was asking was for you is to just let me in, but being Lynda the sauciness had to somehow find its way through into the equation

MS.
I hold my hands up....guilty as charged, I just cant help myself :eek:

But remember, things can get a bit dry without a bit of sauce ;)

But....at least you are in....... even if you havent told me what bike you ride..........:confused:

Twistedgecko

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 27, 2013
Brisbane
The xtreme arrived today. Managed to put it together after the kids were in bed. All is pretty good apart from needing to have the front wheel trued as it's got a fair wobble.

I've not ridden bike in 20 years, but suprised myself. I told the wife i was going to ride around the block unpowered just to get a feel for a bike again. But ended up turning it on. A trip around the block turned into a 10km round trip, in a suprisingly short time. The rear shock squeaks a little at times, but i think that is just the spring. The torque suprised me, even on some of the local hills. So did the downward speed! The weight of me + bike gives the feeling the the throttle is on full, let alone when the motor is on too.

All in all am happy. The alfine is taking a little to get used to, but not "crunching" too much. I think once the confidence kicks in, It's gonna be a lot of fun.

StuntmanBob

Pedelecer
Feb 14, 2013
Say hello to the Indian Ocean - A scenic stop on a 55km ride today. I put my 52t front ring on, it goes well with a 20t on the back.

Twistedgecko

May 27, 2013
Brisbane
Got a little annoyed today. Got my rear wheel back after taking it in to be fixed for 2 broken spokes. Ended up being 3! Had to wait 3 days as they didn't have the gauge or length due to the alfine. Put it all back together, thought I would go for a test drive, pushed my foot on the pedal "twang" there goes number 4. Will see if I can get it dropped off tomorrow. As I keep getting reminded, this has supposed to save in train fares... not cost $35 every time I ride.

Worrying a little in case the quality of the wheel isn't up to the torque of the motor!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Worrying a little in case the quality of the wheel isn't up to the torque of the motor!
When there's a persistent problem like this a wheel rebuild is usually the answer since it's usually a poor build with uneven tensions that causes the trouble in the first place. The components aren't the problem, I've used thinner 14 gauge spokes in place of the recommended 13 gauge with powerful motors in very high load bearing situations ridden on poor surfaces without ever breaking a spoke, simply because the build was right.

In respect of wheel building and repairs, not all bike shops are equal, trying a different one can pay off.

D

Deleted member 4366

There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why spokes go unless they're built wrong which does happen, but is rare. You can get two identical bikes with the same everything, but in one the spokes pop, but not the other. If more than two go, you can be sure that all the others will follow, so get the whole wheel rebuilt. I don't think it makes a difference what spokes you get. I normally buy the cheapest, and I use 13g for motor wheels and 14g for others.

Twistedgecko

May 27, 2013
Brisbane
The LBS recommended I contacted Zoco (local distributor). Awesome customer service as they're sending out a replacement wheel +hub. Should have it by friday!

StuntmanBob

Pedelecer
Feb 14, 2013
After 8000km and some torturous 48v abuse, I thought it was time to replace the crank shaft internal bearings on my trusty Tonaro. Here's a video showing how to pull the gearbox apart for the uninitiated. Note that earlier versions of the shaft had circlips and no locking nut.

[video=youtube;aLYkfqgKQMo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLYkfqgKQMo[/video]

hoppy

May 25, 2010
Good to hear some Tonaro news.They are tough bikes that last.
My Compy is now two and a half years old,used most days,no problems,no obvious battery deterioration.Rode along with keen cyclist friend on his fixie on Saturday. He was very impressed. I still love riding it.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
I have isolated the intermittent momentary cutouts that I and others have noticed, it is the battery pack, I swapped out the standard battery for a 36v 5a Zippy LiPo and no cutouts at all, it also increased acceleration makedly due to no voltage drop as the battery is rated at 20c :)

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I have isolated the intermittent momentary cutouts that I and others have noticed, it is the battery pack, I swapped out the standard battery for a 36v 5a Zippy LiPo and no cutouts at all, it also increased acceleration makedly due to no voltage drop as the battery is rated at 20c :)
My Enduro only gets these cut outs when using pedelec. Now that I have disabled the pedelec I don't get any problems.

D

Deleted member 4366

You could try connecting a 1000mfd capacitor across your battery. I heard that somebody else sorted his cut-outs like that. Worth a try!

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
It's not a big enough issue to worry about as it is very occasional and momentary, it was just that it had come up in the past.
The extra performance was more noticable :)