Tongsheng TSDZ2 Build - This much I know - Part 5 - Cabling/ electrics

PGT

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 28, 2022
Following my first mid motor bike conversion I thought I would give some feedback, via a number of posts, which hopefully will be useful to those thinking of doing something similar.

Some cabling/ electrics advice as follows:

1. The TSDZ2 motor is supplied with 3 cables in lengths that are either too long, which is OK, or too short, which isn’t (see photo of the supplied kit). The battery connection cable which has to serve multiple battery locations can be shortened to suit your chosen location. The display and speed sensor connector cables are so short that it is difficult to get the actual connector blocks in a satisfactory location tight against either the down tube or the seatstay respectively. They both end up partially suspended away from these locations which makes them feel slightly vulnerable. Other than wrapping them in copious turns of black electrical tape I did not find a solution to this. Despite it looking dreadful I chose to swathe all of the cabling adjacent of the BB in electrical tape to hopefully protect it and to avoid lots of nooks and crannies that would otherwise fill up with “road crud”. I chose not to use the bike light connection cable leaving an unused connection on the speed sensor “Y” connector which had to be sealed off with more electrical tape.

2. In terms of cutting (if necessary) and fixing do not commit to a routing for one cable until you have worked out the routes for all of them.

3. I avoided an external connection for the battery cable by cutting off the supplied connectors and wiring it directly into the battery mounting plate (see photo below). The cable connection enclosure in the mounting plate has sufficient space for “Wago” type connectors which worked very well and required no soldering. I also improvised a cable entry clamp cut from an old plastic rear light mount and an entry gland cut from a blind rubber grommet to give at least some ingress protection.

4. It may be possible to re-purpose the “internal cable routing” entry points in the down tube to form mountings for lugs to support the now external cables/hoses. Until then I used the cable tie method to secure all the cabling. However my experience of aluminium bike frames is that their manufacturers like to use ever more complex cross sections and ever more elaborate 3 dimensional curving to their tube profiles which then make it difficult to stop cable ties loosening and then moving. I was forced to resort to the use of yet more electrical tape to keep the cable ties in place.

That concludes all the stuff I have learned so far. Hope you enjoy your conversion kit build.All the bits.jpgBattery wiring.jpgCabling before wrapping.jpgFinished bike.jpg

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
@PGT I've very much enjoyed reading your well written and detailed posts, which must have taken ages to type and annotate... while thanking my lucky stars I chose the relatively easy breezy to install Bafang bbs01b. Torque sensored bikes sound like far too much work - installation and operation - especially for my damaged and ancient creaky knees. My right knee can detect earthquakes before the fact, it's that sensitive - it detected an elephant sneezing at Twycross Zoo the other day, and that's miles away!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bikes4two

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Another great writeup @PGT - I'd considered Wago connectors before whereas the 'traditional' connectors are ofeten XT30, XT60, Anderson etc.

The Wago 221 in-line splicing connecors (which it looks like you are using?) are rated for 32A so no problem for the TSDZ2. Obviously not waterproof in themselves but very easy to use - have you had any issues?

PGT

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 28, 2022
Another great writeup @PGT - I'd considered Wago connectors before whereas the 'traditional' connectors are ofeten XT30, XT60, Anderson etc.

The Wago 221 in-line splicing connecors (which it looks like you are using?) are rated for 32A so no problem for the TSDZ2. Obviously not waterproof in themselves but very easy to use - have you had any issues?
Thanks for all your positive comments "Bikes4two". So far there have been no issues with the Wago connectors but, as I noted, I have contrived a gable gland to help waterproof what would otherwise have been an open hole into the battery mounting plate.

Reactions: Bikes4two