Tongxin Information

andyh2

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2008
Well I'd be very interested if I could be sure I could properly work out what I'd need!

As I said before I liked the Cytronex, but really wanted a kit to convert my Rans crankforward bike. This could be a way.

I'm assuming at the least I'd need motor, controller, throttle, battery, wires/connectors to connect it all up.

As far as I can tell from spreadsheet motor (which would need building into wheel), controller and throttle would be £120 into UK inc import and VAT. That sounds pretty good.

I wonder if there'd be others interested in a 'group' buy?

Have you got further with working out what a practical kit would require?

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
You're right, all you need is a motor, controller, throttle and battery, plus some wire and a bit of patience.

You do need to get a wheel built at a bike shop that's happy to roll custom spokes. My local shop built my Tongxin into a rim for £25, but admitted that getting the spoke length right was a bit of a pain.

You can add pedelec control fairly easily as well if you want it, just get the pedelec sensor that fits easily to the bottom bracket and chainring.

I've been using the 3612 controller, the 260rpm non-Hall motor built into a 20" rim and a thumb throttle, all driven by a 10Ah LiFePO4 battery, for a few months now with no problems at all. There are some pictures of my 'bent on the Tongxin project thread starting on this post: http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/1193-tongxin-k-nano-motor-project-16.html?highlight=Tongxin#post19833 and covering the next few pages of that thread.

Jeremy

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
I recall reading here fairly recently that tongxin ('nano') motor kits could only be purchased in the UK through the UK supplier - has this now changed or was that incorrect?

I'd be quite interested in fitting one for road legal assist speeds, if I can sort out battery fixture & the kits prove reliable for others, but just an idea for now.

Stuart.

sopht

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2008
Hi, Andy, how do you arrive at the £120? I put, say, 450RMB for the motor into a currency converter and come up with £33? Is that wrong?

C

Cyclezee

Unfortunately, Tongxin won't sell direct to private individuals anymore, but as Andyh2 suggested, maybe they would supply a group?
UK sourced kits are quite expensive in relative terms.

I'm wondering about the possibility of a non profit Pedelec buyers group to source and supply components at cost price plus delivery. This would clearly depend upon the level of demand from the DIY e-bike sector.

Does anyone else think this could be viable?

J:) hn

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
450RMB is just for the motor. You need to add the cost of the controller and throttle, plus shipping, then add duty, shipment handling fee and VAT.

£120 sounds about right to me.

It's worth bearing in mind that the UK Nano dealer sells this motor, controller and throttle for £319 (if you can get hold of him!). Whilst a reasonable mark-up would be OK, if only to save the hassle of buying direct from China and to allow for the fact that this kit comes with a few feet of wire and some instructions, I think that a 265% profit is just a little bit OTT. In fact, I suspect the profit is greater than this, as buying motors in lots will reduce both the shipping cost per motor and also the shipment handling charge per motor.

Personally I'd pay perhaps £150 for a UK sourced Nano kit, which seems reasonable as I suspect that the kits probably cost the UK dealer about £80 or £90 all in.

Jeremy

SEATALTEA

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
I have to say I like the idea of a group buy for motor, controller, battery etc I suspect savings will be considerable. My brother works for a company which imports almost all its stock from China, one product when duty and taxes are paid UK dockside stands them at £60, they supply to retailers at £180 who then retail at £299.

I'm happy to be part of a non profit organisation.

C

Cyclezee

I have been in contact with Tongxin this week, but I don't know the minimum order, I can't imagine it is a huge quantity.
I think the only people in the UK using Tongxin motors are Cytronex, C.H.White and Tony Castles. I would very much doubt if any of them are buying large quantities, probably only enough to meet orders on a 'just in time' basis.
The only way to know for sure is ask Diana Lin and I have emailed her to see if Tongxin would be interested in doing business with a group.
We have enough experts amoungst our ranks to get this up and running.
I will send her reply by PM if anyone wants to see it.

Last edited by a moderator:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks John. I remember Diana mailing that supplies had to be though the UK agents, but since Tony Castles has proved to be impossible to contact by almost everyone and clearly isn't running the agency in a businesslike manner, I don't think Diana should support and protect him until he puts his house in order.

It's Tongxin's business he's hurting, several potential sales going to the Alien kit recently as a result.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
this is the sort of thing that really annoys me,we are being ripped off by small companies doing exclusive deals to be the only supplier(how many suppliers are there for the top three electric bikes),this is creating no competition and keeping prices inflated,these sort of deals are actually holding back sales of electric bikes.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
£120 sounds about right to me.

It's worth bearing in mind that the UK Nano dealer sells this motor, controller and throttle for £319 (if you can get hold of him!). Whilst a reasonable mark-up would be OK, if only to save the hassle of buying direct from China and to allow for the fact that this kit comes with a few feet of wire and some instructions, I think that a 265% profit is just a little bit OTT. In fact, I suspect the profit is greater than this, as buying motors in lots will reduce both the shipping cost per motor and also the shipment handling charge per motor.

Personally I'd pay perhaps £150 for a UK sourced Nano kit, which seems reasonable as I suspect that the kits probably cost the UK dealer about £80 or £90 all in.

Jeremy
That's almost exactly what I paid. I agree with your suggested pricing too. I think there would be great demand for someone who sold Tongxin kits at that level, or even £200, AND answered the phone!

Those who have been around for a while may remember that my Tongxin kit has not gone the distance due to controller problems. The Tongxin controller is notoriously temperamental so I did some looking for an alternative for brushless, sensorless motors. I found one, from the Australian seller solarbbq (who used to sell Tongxins and stopped because of quality problems, but remains a big fan of the product but not its execution!). Nothing is easy, though, as I ordered it in June, he shipped the wrong one, and I am still waiting for the right one to show up. I will post full details if and when the thing arrives and I get it working.

I have been in contact with Tongxin this week, but I don't know the minimum order, I can't imagine it is a huge quantity.
I think the only people in the UK using Tongxin motors are Cytronex, C.H.White and Tony Castles. I would very much doubt if any of them are buying large quantities, probably only enough to meet orders on a 'just in time' basis.
The only way to know for sure is ask Diana Lin and I have emailed her to see if Tongxin would be interested in doing business with a group.
We have enough experts amoungst our ranks to get this up and running.
I will send her reply by PM if anyone wants to see it.

John, please keep me posted; if a group order does get going, I'd be interested in getting some more bits.

johnp

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
ba22
tongxin dealership

Hi all.

I am in the process of trying to get a dealership with tongxin and will supply all kits and spares for all tongxin parts, and will answer phone!! all at a very reasonable price
Watch this space.

JOHN

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Good news John, look forward to hearing further from you. You being not very far from the existing agent I think he'll be somewhat unhappy! :rolleyes:

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
Excellent news.

Count me in for another kit, I'm exceedingly pleased with mine. I'm currently part way through converting a 20" wheel folder for an aviating friend and the Tongxin would be the ideal motor (I'll post details as soon as I've finished it).

Jeremy

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Those who have been around for a while may remember that my Tongxin kit has not gone the distance due to controller problems. The Tongxin controller is notoriously temperamental so I did some looking for an alternative for brushless, sensorless motors. I found one, from the Australian seller solarbbq (who used to sell Tongxins and stopped because of quality problems, but remains a big fan of the product but not its execution!). Nothing is easy, though, as I ordered it in June, he shipped the wrong one, and I am still waiting for the right one to show up. I will post full details if and when the thing arrives and I get it working.
Jeremy,
Just seen your post on this on endless sphere. It looks like the other chap who ordered this got the wrong controller too! Let's say I will be pleasantly surprised if a sensorless one shows up...

Frank

sopht

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2008
I'd like to build an electric bike out of parts, but do you think it's doable for a non-engineer?

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
I'd like to build an electric bike out of parts, but do you think it's doable for a non-engineer?
Yes, provided that you choose the right kit and the right bike.

Converting a fairly standard bike with a well-made kit is very straightforward. For example, my first conversion used a Crystalyte motor and controller. The motor was supplied already fitted into a wheel, so all I needed to do was fit rim tape, a tyre and tube and the wheel was ready to fit to the bike.

Wiring the motor, controller and throttle was also very easy, as the kit came with simple connectors to plug everything together. Most of the wiring up time was spent neatly tying the various cables in place on the frame.

Stuff I had to do myself was mount the controller, which was again just a matter of drilling four small holes in the bike rack base plate and bolting it in place underneath. I could possibly have got away with just fixing it with some big cable ties and a bit of rubber sheet underneath if I didn't want to drill any holes.

The wheel fitted to the frame pretty much as standard. The throttle similarly just fitted to the handlebars without a problem. The only thing to watch for is that you get a throttle that matches your gear set up. A twist grip won't fit if you've got twist gears - you need to opt for a thumb type throttle.

I made my own battery pack, but there are plenty of kits about that come with a ready made, easy to fit, pack. The Alien kit seems to be a reasonable example of one that's fairly straightforward to fit, but there are others, depending on your requirements and budget.

If you get stuck, there are plenty of us on here who have been through the mill and found ways to get around most problems. The only thing that I'd add about converting a bike is that you are, to some extent, going to get a level of reliability that may be directly proportional to the care you put in to the build. Many problems seem to stem from shock, vibration, water ingress, wiring issues etc, most of which are down to the installation quality. There's nothing particularly demanding, skill-wise, about making a reliable ebike, it just needs a bit of care and attention to detail when you build it.

Jeremy