Tonsheng is dead

Turnip

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 23, 2023
Hi, I have converted an On one inbred using a Tongsheng TSDZ2 , I’ve been commuting for nearly two years with no problems until last week 1 mile in only 16mile commute home. I think it hissed I had a skull cap on so can’t be sure and then the bike completely died, I thought it was because of lowish battery and the bitter cold but after fully charging the battery it’s still dead, my question is where do I start to try and problem solve it?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Do you have a meter to check the battery discharge voltage and the charger voltage ?
If not buy one to do so.

If the battery is ok and one gets a good reading , the tsdz2 is next.
Does the display switch on ?

Reactions: Bikes4two

Turnip

Jan 23, 2023
Do you have a meter to check the battery discharge voltage and the charger voltage ?
If not buy one to do so.

If the battery is ok and one gets a good reading , the tsdz2 is next.
Does the display switch on ?

Turnip

Jan 23, 2023
I’m going to get a meter to double check and I’ll get back to you.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The TSDZ2 has no fuse but the battery will usually have a discharge fuse , if one see's 0v then a fuse has blown. If the display doesn't switch on then it means no power is getting to the display via the battery.

Reactions: Turnip

Turnip

Jan 23, 2023
Looks like I’ll have to wait for the multimeter to be delivered , just checking but when I said the battery was dead, I meant to say that the battery did charge fully as much as I can tell as the charger went from red to Green . Doesn’t this mean the battery did charge ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes it should do , as this is normal process for a generic charger.

Do you know if it was the battery or tsdz that made the noise ?

Turnip

Jan 23, 2023
Yes it should do , as this is normal process for a generic charger.

Do you know if it was the battery or tsdz that made the noise ?
Unfortunately I don’t , I had my skullcap on looks like I’ll have to wait and see what the multimeter says. Thanks for the reply

Turnip

Jan 23, 2023
So I’ve managed to check battery output which is fine, after fiddling around with connections the screw now flickers and flashes . The off button doesn’t work I’ve been drying the bike out in front of the wood burner, I’m hoping this will work have you any advice about what else I can do to prevent this happening again?
thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You didn't mention anything about getting wet ?
But then again should have twigged it from the start, so many folks mention issues like yours but never divulge they rode thru a downpour or left the bike out in the rain.

Turnip

Jan 23, 2023
I hadn’t left the bike out in the rain but had been commuting in the usual cold and rainy conditions so I’m only guessing that moisture could’ve been the problem. Still haven’t reconnected everything yet so I’ll have to see.

Turnip

Jan 23, 2023
Well after reconnecting the screen is still flashing and the on/off button on screen is not working, have you any advice of what I can check ? I’m wondering if it’s the screen itself ?

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
Hullo Turnip, been thinking of buying a Tongsheng myself so I was alarmed at your catastrophic headline 'Tongsheng is dead'. 'Nothing of the sort' I would cry, it is merely showing symptoms of a general non-covid malaise common to ebicycles exposed to the British weather for a prolonged period. If you have been commuting 16 miles a day for two years then both you and the kit have managed 20 000miles or more which is pretty damn impressive. ...
Do you bring the bike in to dry overnight?
Do you feed it steroids?
Send away for a new screen/control panel. I dont know the Tongsheng system but imagine it would be similar to Bafang. It is a cheap and easy swap and the prime advantage of kits over ready made e-bikes. Assuming that the fault lies on the handlebars of course.

Turnip

Jan 23, 2023
Yes, I think you’re right, have to say it’s an impressive bit of kit, I’ve ordered a new panel. Let’s hope that’s the fault.

Turnip

Jan 23, 2023
Hullo Turnip, been thinking of buying a Tongsheng myself so I was alarmed at your catastrophic headline 'Tongsheng is dead'. 'Nothing of the sort' I would cry, it is merely showing symptoms of a general non-covid malaise common to ebicycles exposed to the British weather for a prolonged period. If you have been commuting 16 miles a day for two years then both you and the kit have managed 20 000miles or more which is pretty damn impressive. ...
Do you bring the bike in to dry overnight?
Do you feed it steroids?
Send away for a new screen/control panel. I dont know the Tongsheng system but imagine it would be similar to Bafang. It is a cheap and easy swap and the prime advantage of kits over ready made e-bikes. Assuming that the fault lies on the handlebars of course.
So the replacement screen finally arrived, I’ve plugged it all in and now it’s a blank screen absolutely nothing? Not sure what to do now, battery output is fine and connections all look good.