Torq: diameter of replacement seatpost?

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
I'm planning to replace the seatpost & am unsure what diameter to get.
Those of you who have replaced the original Torq seatpost, what diameter did you get? (If you can remember! I'm aware that flecc & Ian have, and Pete did too).

I recall Pete saying his seat post was 25.46mm but the seat tube was 25.66mm internal diameter, so I'm wondering if 25.6mm (next size up, it seems) may fit, or can be made to fit, better than a 25.4mm?

My seatpost does seem hard to tighten in place and still slips, so I'm wondering if anyone has tried a 25.6mm and found it fits better, or if you can advise how best to "refine" it to fit :) or alternatively how to "shim" a 25.4mm post such that it doesn't slip.

25.4mm is the nearest size for a suspension post. The non-suspension posts seem to be available (at edinburgh bicycles) in more sizes, 25.6mm included, so a shim may be required should I choose a suspension one, but I probably won't given that its heavier, less efficient & seems likely to develop some rotational "slop", and creak too.

Thanks for any help & advice :).

Stuart.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, I fitted a 25.6 mm BBB post to the Torq/T bike Stuart, fits perfectly.

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
That's good, thanks :).

Obviously I could have tried close sizes in the shop to see the best fit; I just wanted to be prepared in case the diameter was a slightly non-standard size :).

I'll try the 25.6mm & see then. Non-slip, -creak & -slop cycling here we come ;).

Stuart.

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Thanks for the information John, much appreciated :).

So that 25.4mm kalloy suspension & flecc's 25.6mm BBB non-suspension are both "perfect fits" then, eh? :rolleyes: :confused: :D

I'll possibly have to order it anyway, neither size readily available in at least one bike chain store here...

I suspect though a 25.6mm post will be a tighter fit though, and be more easily tightened & less likely to slip, though suspension posts are less likely to be available in that size & 25.4mm looks the nearest fit :).

Stuart.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's it Stuart, the 25.6 mm is a good correct fit and more easily clamped, and that's why I bought one, while the smaller one needs high clamping force. I had either size available in the rigid BBB post I bought.

C

Cyclezee

Sorry to 'split hairs', but the difference between 25.6mm and 25.4mm is less than 0.8%, so the difference in clamping force is next to nothing. If you want a non suspension post, they are available from the same source for £4.99 + £2.99 postage.
John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
True Aldby, the difference is small and of little importance. I bought the BBB post for other reasons entirely, but chose a more correct size while I was about it just to avoid the sloppy fit of the original which was noticeable.

C

Cyclezee

Completely understand what you are saying Flecc and agree the original post is sloppy. I cheapens the bike and the flip top saddle is completely unnecessary.
John

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Is the BBB seatpost carbon fibre flecc? :D I didn't notice before that its black.

That looks a good price, John, thanks for the tip ;).

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No. it's alloy Stuart, but keeps it's hard black finish ok, and less than half the weight of the original.

I've kept the tilting post on the Q bike while I'm getting the remaining life out of the last Li-ion, but I have to change to the NiMh for heavy towing as the Li-ion goes on strike then now it's in it's old age (7 months :) ).

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
The seat post I fitted on my Torq is 1" (25.4mm) although I'm sure a 25.6mm would have fitted, probably better. On the Sprint the seat tube bore appeared to be larger, the clamp not properly securing the original 1" flipable post. I solved it with a "universal" post of about 23.5mm which came with a tapered bush. I didn't like the taper on the bush though so I turned it parallel at the correct diameter.
Neither seat post tilts but I don't find it a problem to remove them to change batteries using the QR clamp, and frequent removal ensures they won't get stuck, as so many do.

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
I've just fitted a 25.6mm rigid alloy seatpost & its a good fit for the Torq: apparently the 25.4mm sus post's movement had affected the seat tube internal diameter somehow, such that even a 25.8mm post would start to go in, but then become restricted. Once the 25.6mm post beds in it should be fine though :).

Thank you for the tip on the post diameter, Pete (ITSPETEINIT), its much appreciated :).

Good idea on the frequent seat-tube removal to prevent "sticking" Ian, thanks.

I'm very glad I decided to go with a rigid seatpost, rather than another sus one.

I forgot to add that the new post shaves several hundred grammes off the weight :D. It still feels very comfortable too with the original big & wide but well-padded velo "plush" saddle, and I already notice a better feel & control over both pedalpower and direction: consistently good pedalling position, given by the constant pedal-to-saddle distance (correct leg extension on the downstroke is very important for both efficient & comfortable pedalling), and a real tangible sense of connection with the road surface, which is absent with sus posts, improves handling confidence I find, though that could also be due to the 700x38C marathon plus I just fitted on the front wheel :).

The absence of the sprung mechanism for battery removal leaves greater room for adjustment of fore/aft saddle position, and "micro-adjustment" of the saddle's angle to the horizintal is possible: much improving the possible range & fine-tuning of seat position.

In short, my Torq's starting to feel more like a "real bike" as I've always known them (I grew up with "racer" road-type bikes in a pre-"suspension MTB" era, possibly a big factor in my choosing a Torq!) only with the "motor" ace up its sleeve :D.

Stuart.

Last edited: