Torq II misbehaving

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Morning all, my torq has decided to become pedelec only. Can't say when this happened as it does occasionally throw a hissy fit, but right now all I'm getting is pedelec which is a bit irritating when pulling away from junctions as it's nice to have that extra bit of speed.

Would really appreciate any help in diagnosing the problem.

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Cheers Bigbee. The throttle works, but only when the pedals are turning. Power cuts out just after I stop pedalling. I do actually have a replacement throttle that I bought a while back while experiencing other issues. At that time the bike was moving with the throttle closed but that seemed to resolve itself.

I guess I'll fit the new throttle and see how it goes. Thanks mate.

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Thanks Dynamic, I did have a look through Flecc's site last week but couldn't find mention of anything relating to what I'm experiencing. I don't think it's a battery issue as the power's coming on fine, but only when the pedals are being rotating.

The bike is behaving like a pedelec in both switch modes.

I am however noticing that the battery meter is flicking down into the amber a lot more now that the cold weather is here. Anyone else getting this?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The earlier drop to amber in cold weather is normal, nothing to worry about since all batteries operate best around 20 to 30 degrees C and lose efficency as that temperature reduces.

Your pedelec switch inside the meter is a single pole switch with two wires going to it, black and yellow usually. When joined by switching, the throttle mode is on, so it sounds as though either the rocker switch is faulty or one of the wires is disconnected or open circuit. leaving you with pedelec only.

There are long thin cross head screws in the underside of the meter which allow you to part the meter box so you can check the wiring to the rocker switch or remake the connections to it. As you part the meter box, one of the nuts used for securing the handlebar clamp will probably fall out of it's recess, make sure you don't lose it and make sure you include it as you clamp the box back together again.

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Flecc, thank you mate. I'll have a look inside the switch. Cheers for that.