Torq R.I.P?

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I see that the new Torq no longer features on the 50 cycles website. Maybe they have just sold out but it would be a shame if it is no longer available. Odd as the Forza is also out of stock but still listed. End of an era then?

C

Cyclezee

You seem quite emphatic about that Flecc. Would you care to elaborate?

John

C

Cyclezee

:) Now that is intriguing Flecc. Something top secret then:cool:

John

C

Cyclezee

It's not only the ways of the Orient that are intriguing Flecc;)
South Croydon would seem to be quite mysterious too.

John

Last edited by a moderator:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's not only the ways of the Orient that are intriguing Flecc;)
South Croydon would seem to quite mysterious too.

John
Much will become apparent before many full moons have passed.

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
As I understand it, Mr Ching and 50cycles have parted company with Ezee bikes having a new partner in the UK about to come on stream.

Given the problems over the last few months, this is obviously very good news indeed for those of us with Ezee bikes who have concerns about the future availability of spare parts & servicing.

The only question remains whether Flecc is about to come out of 'retirement' and open shop in Croydon. :D

Cheers,

Django

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Given the problems over the last few months, this is obviously very good news indeed for those of us with Ezee bikes who have concerns about the future availability of spare parts & servicing.
Very encouraging to think that Ezee bikes may still be represented in the UK in the longer term. It has been sad to see the range on offer from 50cycles steadily reducing.

James

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The only question remains whether Flecc is about to come out of 'retirement' and open shop in Croydon. :D

Cheers,

Django
No chance of that!

But eZee will still have full representation on the UK and eZee owners should have no fears about availablity of spares, batteries etc.

In due course there will be more information on this.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
I can't see why Ezee wouldn't simply tie up with another dealer.

If I had to guess I would say that the guys at the Electric Transport Shop would have been hot on to Mr Ching. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Ezee's popping up on their web site in a week or two.

What would be far more exciting of course would be if he created a relationship with a chain of bike shops to put quality electric bikes in the high street. Probably not Halfords, but Someone like Fisher Leisure or even Powabyke would be the ideal partners to get proper distribution into those independent bike stores who are interested in the product.

This is not meant as a criticism of 50 Cycles as I respect their right to do business as they see fit. However I have long believed that the role of 50 Cycles in market in having the best range but poor availability (mail order model for a product not suited to it combined with frequent stock-outs), and relatively low volumes combined with highish margins has held back the growth of the electric bike market in the UK.

Frank

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
50cycles do have the Torq on their website as out of stock.

Real electric bikes from 50cycles. New for 2008 season is eZee Torq Trekking electric bicycle - the latest version of the first electric bike race winner.

This is now becoming the norm for 50cycles I feel and it just goes to show their usual lack of transparency with its customers.
Does it feel that all of its customers have the IQ of a sprout.
It says the Torq is New for 2008 season !
There is no season. There are no bikes in stock. There are no batteries available for the Torq, so the 2007 Torq owners will have no 2008 season on their Torq's.
The Agattu cross frames and Pro-Connects have been delayed and delayed. I dont think we will see our bike til May 2008, with not much season left.
Has 50cycles dumped Ezee or has Ezee dumped 50cycles, that is the question.

Its a good job that there are forums like this for people to know the REAL stories behind the constant website changes and misinformation its customers are being fed.
Then 50cycles drop out of the forum ! I wonder why?

What a white wash for people who are already unsure about the venture into the world of electric bikes.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There have been sound legal reasons why there has been no announcement on this issue, and it has nothing to do with poor service from either 50cycles or eZeebike.

As I've said before, there will be an announcement in the near future and it's best to wait for that, for it's content will not be merely who the importer is, but will have further important news for present and prospective owners.

eZee have continued to supply batteries, chargers and other items direct to ensure no loss of service to their customers, and 50cycles have maintained discretion at a difficult time for them.

These changes take time, and impatience or speculation won't make them happen any faster.

Last edited:

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
People will continue to defend this situation.
But with the evidence of no bikes, no batteries its hard to defend, and i dont know how people can !
It sounds like MP's in London..... they wont answer the questions really.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I just said, there are batteries, so why say there are none!

Several forum members have been supplied with batteries and in one case a charger, and this has been publicised by me and others in this forum on different occasions.

I repeat, the complex changes involved take time, legal situations have to respected, and I doubt you could have made any of this happen any quicker.

Of course it's matter of commercial confidence who broke with who, certainly none of my business.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Oh well you know how I feel flecc, and I know how you feel.

Really what im trying to say is that the ebike's are a need for this country.

Anyone been watching "the woman who stops cars".

Practices like these are not helping the push to get people out of their cars.

People waiting nearly 4 months for a ebike, and current owners having to order replacement batteries from china, when there is supposed to be a UK provider is just poor service.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
What a white wash for people who are already unsure about the venture into the world of electric bikes.
That's one way of looking at it, but I would argue that it's perfectly normal business for a commercial partnership to come to an end. The parties then try to put alternative arrangements in place and make an announcement when they have something to say.

I'm sure this will happen as soon as it can do - no-one has any interest in stopping the bikes and spares getting to market. In the meantime I don't expect a steady stream of announcements before there is anything to announce.

As for people who are waiting four months for products not yet in production - if that is a problem there is an easy solution which is to only buy what is in stock!

Frank

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
People waiting nearly 4 months for a ebike, and current owners having to order replacement batteries from china, when there is supposed to be a UK provider is just poor service.
That is a mixture of two issues though Bob, and in this thread it's only about the eZee supply, so that's what I was speaking of of course.

Why is ordering a battery from the Far East a problem? It's just an email, a confirmation of a good price and an immediate despatch by TNT courier with delivery in a couple of days. That's certainly not poor service. Sorry Bob, but you are tilting at windmills here in this issue.

On the other bike make and supply, obviously that's best in a different thread and not mixed up with this, since it just confuses the issue.

Lots of us have seen, "The woman who stops cars", though sadly but in truth it's the woman who stopped cars temporarily for a TV program. We all know that she will in fact make no difference at all over time. With the cameras gone and a bit of bad weather, all the cars will roll again, and having e-bikes available from every corner shop ex-stock wouldn't change that appreciably.