Torque arms?

D

Deleted member 4366

The ready-made torque arms come in two sizes: 14mm x 10mm and 12mm x 10mm. Make sure that you get the right size for uour motor axle size. Bafang and Ananda (Cute) motors normally have 12mm axles, Ezee and most american motors tend to have 14mm.

BMSbattery also do some nice ones, or you can weld your own arm to the anti-rotation washers that come with the motor.
EBike Torque Arm

Torque arms are not just necessary for "monster motors". They're advisable for any front motor. Often rear motors don't sit deep enough in the drop-outs, which also makes them necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ready-made torque arms come in two sizes: 14mm x 10mm and 12mm x 10mm. Make sure that you get the right size for uour motor axle size. Bafang and Ananda (Cute) motors normally have 12mm axles, Ezee and most american motors tend to have 14mm.

BMSbattery also do some nice ones, or you can weld your own arm to the anti-rotation washers that come with the motor.
EBike Torque Arm

Torque arms are not just necessary for "monster motors". They're advisable for any front motor. Often rear motors don't sit deep enough in the drop-outs, which also makes them necessary.
Thanks for that. It's for a customer with a 1000 Watt Golden Motor on the rear wheel. He's provided a Claud Butler Stoneriver bike to fit it to. I'll measure it up, but I guess It'll be 14mm from what you say unless Canada have a different type.
Cheers,

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Thanks for that. Do you have any pictures of that. The part I previously saw was more of an arm than a plate.
Cheers,
Here are piccys of the cyclezee torque arms attached to my Specialized Hardrock.
I fitted one on each side as I am running a boatload of torque.

2012-12-08-141.jpg

2012-12-08-143.jpg

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
With a rear motor it's often possible to use only the main part of the eZee torque arm by tapping an appropriate threaded hole on the rear dropout plate. How neat this can be is shown here on one of my own bikes:

C

Cyclezee

And here is a set fitted to a conversion that I did yesterday.

It's a Cube Katmandu.....nice;)

P1060647.jpg

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
The rear dropouts on my Giant sus bike were quite tricky to fit ready-made torque arms, so I made a left/right pair from 3.7mm thick stainless steel plate.

I made cardboard templates first, with large wrap over tabs to fit snugly around the frame dropout shape. I calculated that the maximum "moment of torque" didn't need the support to be very far from the radius of the axle. The advantage being that they're quite small, so of no significant weight, despite being steel.

I cut the 14 mm axle slots very carefully, finishing off with a file to make sure it was a perfect fit. I think that the combination of both sides gives a combined thickness of 7.4 mm, which should be ample, especially in steel.

The result is quite unobtrusive and blends in well.

left1.jpgleft2.jpgright1.jpg

D

Deleted member 4366

Made this one out of 6mm plate with an angle grinder and then welded in a piece