Torque Sensor - Raleigh Velo Cite

Pikpilot

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 18, 2013
Just got the battery re-celled and it rides well BUT when I stop pedalling the controller goes into motorbike mode until I stop by applying the brakes. This is a Pedelec bike!

The bike was without power for about two months so I wonder if the controller has lost the settings in memory.

I found this Raleigh video which talks about checking the torque sensor and reading the current zero point but doesn't tell you how to adjust it so that power is stopped when there is no chain torque. See from 40s onwards in the video.

The bike seems to think I am still pushing on the pedals when I not. I am guessing that it should be possible to change the no torque set point through the display buttons when in the service mode.

Any help much appreciated

Pikpilot

Feb 18, 2013
Update.
I tried the reset a few times without success. The reading about was about 14.4 whereas when the bike was new it was 18.25, just as shown in the video.
A test ride after each reset showed no change. I the did a reset whilst pressing on the pedal to give a reading of 19 on the display. It did not save this and the static reading was 14.4 when I restarted the bike.

I then decided to look at the wiring from the torque sensor. At the time I had assistance set at max but the bike stationary. As soon as I touched the cable where it comes out from the torque sensor, the bike tried to shoot away at full torque with the front wheel spinning on the grass. I turned off the battery very quickly using its switch.
Seems I may be on to something so I took out the three screws that hold the sensor and cable in place. Couldn't see anything wrong, such as a broken wire. I then unplugged the cable from the sensor and gave both parts of the connector a good squirt with contact cleaner. I then put everything back again and did a reset. This time the static reading was just over 11.

I have just come back from a test ride of about 2 miles and everything worked exactly as it was when new. Problem solved, for the moment at least.

Anyone have any comments?

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Update.
I tried the reset a few times without success. The reading about was about 14.4 whereas when the bike was new it was 18.25, just as shown in the video.
A test ride after each reset showed no change. I the did a reset whilst pressing on the pedal to give a reading of 19 on the display. It did not save this and the static reading was 14.4 when I restarted the bike.

I then decided to look at the wiring from the torque sensor. At the time I had assistance set at max but the bike stationary. As soon as I touched the cable where it comes out from the torque sensor, the bike tried to shoot away at full torque with the front wheel spinning on the grass. I turned off the battery very quickly using its switch.
Seems I may be on to something so I took out the three screws that hold the sensor and cable in place. Couldn't see anything wrong, such as a broken wire. I then unplugged the cable from the sensor and gave both parts of the connector a good squirt with contact cleaner. I then put everything back again and did a reset. This time the static reading was just over 11.

I have just come back from a test ride of about 2 miles and everything worked exactly as it was when new. Problem solved, for the moment at least.

Anyone have any comments?
This good news as adjusting the sensor is very hit and miss. I would contact your dealer or Raleigh and request a replacement sensor. Shouldn't be too pricey.

Pikpilot

Feb 18, 2013
Russ,
I just found this picture of the sensor:-

Looking at the picture it appears that the adjustment is done by moving the sensor to the right position to get the spring tension right; movement being allowed via the slotted lower screw hole.

From past experience I don't trust the mechanic (part-time) who is the only bike mechanic at the local Raleigh dealership. Do you have any instructions that I could use to replace it myself? I should add that I have much experience and many professional qualifications as an electrical design engineer.
Mike