Total newbie dipping his toe in the water

Rykard

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 13, 2019
Hi,
i've been looking around for a month or so at eBikes and such like. I am thinking rather than jump into an ebike that it may be better to convert a bike i already have to see whether I like it or not. to this end, where is the best place to start? what should i be looking for? can i buy a kit off the shelf? Should i look at rear hub or mid drive? so many questions...
Is there a beginners guide anywhere?

cheers
Rich

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
We need to know which style of riding you are planning for.

Rykard

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 13, 2019
Style of riding - mostly commuting on badly made roads. May take it road rutland water to see how it goes. I have an old 80/90s scott mtb that i am thinking of using as a base though i could buy something more suitable, though i do have a hardtail mtb that the oh doesn't use that is newer...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For commuting and pottering around unmade tracks you will find a rear hub more user friendly and reliable, it depends on facilities and time for freshening up at work when you get there.
For off roading a mid drive is more suitable though some do use rear hubs as well.

Best cheapish kit for hub is a Yose power though mine is stamped 350w on the side casing which no one else has mentioned. For best overall kits and UK support Woosh bikes and for mixing and matching BMSBattery or Topbikekit for a AKM/Q128c or a Q100c.

• Informative
Reactions: KirstinS and dwvl