Touring on a Wisper

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
My wife and I decided to spend the Easter weekend going on a bike trip to the South Coast. This plan was formed before the weather forecast for the weekend became clear, and we reviewed it last week and decided to go ahead anyway - but with some more warm clothes!

Our route started from home in West London, went down via the Croyden area (keeping a close eye open for fast-moving test cyclists!) to pick up the Sustrans route 21 by the M25 at Redhill. From there we followed the route (with a few detours and short cuts) along a mixture of country roads, disused railway lines and bike lanes down to Eastbourne. We had two overnight hotel stops, in Horley and Tuinbridge Wells. Total distance travelled was 116 miles in three days.

My wife took my Wisper 905se while I rode my (non-electric) touring bike. The Wisper gave 30-35 miles range, depending on hilliness, wind and surface travelled on, and we re-charged during lunch and coffee stops to get the distance. As we live in a flat area, this was the first time the bike had been tested on hills and it coped well with the Kent and Sussex Downs. There were no cut-outs on hills (other than when the battery was running very low after 32 miles on day 1). I don't know the gradients but it managed to get up some pretty steep slopes, which I would estimate at not less than 1 in 8 or 9 (11-12.5%), and did not fail on any. My wife said it felt as powerful as our old Powabyke, which she rode on our previous trip to the Sussex Downs last year.

We had a great trip. Highlights were:
Seeing the sea at Eastbourne
A beautiful hotel open for morning coffee, with big leather sofas in front of an open fire, after riding for 10 miles through yesterday morning's snow
The quality of the sustrans route - miles of old railways providing great cycling terrain and excellent signposting making it a joy to navigate.

For next time I'd like to get an additional battery for the Wisper, to give us a bit more range and make it less of an imperative to find an electrical socket in every pub and cafe we stop at. buying a second Wisper lithium would be very light but doesn't make sense given high cost and short shelf life of lithiums, so its probably going to be an NiMH booster style battery, as others have made for Ezee Torqs. I've also realised how hot the Wisper charger gets (I usually leave it in my cold garage) and will look into drilling a few holes to help it stay cool.

Frank

BrizzleBoy

Pedelecer
Oct 22, 2007
Bristol
Frank

Good report. Sounds like you had a grand time:)

Cant wait for my 905SE to turn up next month - been patiently waiting since ordering in January, reading all these posts about the bike.

Good to see you still use your non electric as that is one thing I intend to do but wonder whether I will once the new one arrives....;)

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Thanks, it was a great weekend, and the weather was no problem once we got going.

Frank

Good to see you still use your non electric as that is one thing I intend to do but wonder whether I will once the new one arrives....;)
I've actually found the opposite to be true and have now go to the point where I very rarely use an electric bike!

A year ago I was an occasional cyclist, using it for work once a fortnight and the odd weekend trip. Electric bikes got me cycling regularly - using it for work every day, more frequent leisure rides and local errands. Then I got a new non-electric, have done 500 miles on it in 5 weeks and am enjoying it more than ever. But I'd never have done that without going through the electric stage.

I hope your Wisper arrives safely and look forward to hearing how the 2008 bikes perform.

Frank

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nice one Frank, thanks for the report. You probably wouldn't have spotted my test riding coming from that direction as nearly all my cycling is done on the eastern side of Croydon southwards, only occasionally getting into Croydon, Purley and Coulsdon. I do ride around the more westerly parts of your route south though.

Good to hear the battery performed well, and as I'd expected since they are progressively getting better, just as the eZee ones have. The manufacturers have made steady progress throughout the last year and a half, and are still doing so. Wisper's newest battery is likely to be even better yet when it arrives.

You've obviously enjoyed your trip, but if it's like here with steady snow falling and settling at the moment, I bet your pleased to be back home.

tgame

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2007
Felixstowe
www.axst45.dsl.pipex.com
Such a pleasure to read of your Easter ride, Frank. I've been too chicken myself to do anything at all over the holiday the weather being so unfavourable. Thanks a million for posting it for us all.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Flecc, yes - glad to be home and watching the snow falling from behind a window rather than burning my eyes on the downhill sections!

Tony, thanks for your kind message!

Frank

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Easter

Hi Frank, thanks for the report, I am very jealous!

I gave up my 905se to a customer and am awaiting one of the new batch for myself. But as the first container only has 70 units, 25 of which are going to the Electric Transport Shop and many others are on pre-order I may have to wait for the main consignment. :(

I was truly delighted to hear you and your wife had such a good time and was very interested to read your comments re the health aspects of using an electric bike, may I quote you?

Best regards David

Charlie

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2007
Hi Frank,
How did people take to being asked to recharge the battery during your stops? We know it uses only pence in electricity, but were they concerned at all.

Charlie.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Hi Frank, thanks for the report, I am very jealous!

I gave up my 905se to a customer and am awaiting one of the new batch for myself. But as the first container only has 70 units, 25 of which are going to the Electric Transport Shop and many others are on pre-order I may have to wait for the main consignment. :(

I was truly delighted to hear you and your wife had such a good time and was very interested to read your comments re the health aspects of using an electric bike, may I quote you?

Best regards David
David,
Thanks for your message - it was a great ride and once you get going the weather doesn't really matter! Please do quote me if you like - anonymously is fine but if you want to put my name to it I'd like to know where first if you don't mind.
I'm sorry to hear you've had to give up your bike. Maybe you need to get one of those German ones off eBay before they run out!
Best,
Frank

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Hi Frank,
How did people take to being asked to recharge the battery during your stops? We know it uses only pence in electricity, but were they concerned at all.

Charlie.
I wasn't sure how it would work out. Necessity drove us on the first day as the battery ran out completely when we were still about 8 miles short of our hotel. So we went into a pub and I just asked. The barmaid was a little surprised, but said it was fine as long as no-one would trip up over it, and directed me to a socket.

On the second day we went to a Costa coffee shop. It had loads of sockets all round the place, I think, for people to use their laptops. The staff were busy so we just plugged in without troubling them. But the pub we went in to for lunch was very crowded, no obvious sockets and staff were rushed. Neither of us therefore felt like asking, so we didn't charge and then ran out of battery power a couple of miles short.

On the final day, we decided we would ask to charge at every stop come what may. We went to two different places - but in both there were plug sockets to hand and no staff to ask so we just plugged in.

So, I think in most places it would be fine, but it is one more thing to think about. Next time, we'll have a spare battery and not have to bother doing this.

Frank

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
We've just got back from our second tour over the weekend, from Reading to Bristol via the Kennett and Avon Canal route, again with my wife using the Wisper and me a non-electric.

Had a great time. The Wisper performed very well, albeit on undemanding terrain (mostly flat with strong tail winds!). It was a real luxury having the second battery, a 10Ah LiFePO4 from Ping on eBay, and the additional range it gives. Well worth a couple of kg of extra weight. The 13Ah Wisper battery plus this new one should be good for 60-70 miles, depending on the terrain - more than enough for one day for me!

BrizzleBoy

Pedelecer
Oct 22, 2007
Bristol
Nice one Frank.

Did you travel on the Bath to Bristol cycle path and pass the Bitton Railway Station? If so you were very close to my house - I would have stopped a Wisper 905 passing by and asked for a ride :D . Only 2 more weeks to go till mine turns up.

Good to see it getting such good use and very interesting regarding alternative battery

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
If only I'd known...!

Yes we followed the Bath-Bristol path, and very impressive it was too.

I was horrified when I got home and heard that the plans to turn it into a bus lane had not, as I had thought, been abandoned. Let's hope it isn't spoiled as it was certainly being well-used on Sunday. We met many more other bikes on that path than on the whole of the rest of the route (including what I thought were two electrics, but going the other way so not enough time to be sure or identify them)

Frank