Towing a Trailer

MandoKeith

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 29, 2018
St Leonards on Sea
Just wondered if anyone has tried towing a trailer behind their e-bike, bought or home made. Any views on whether this is a good idea or not?.......Keith

Dewey

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2016
Arlington, VA
I tow my 2yo in an old Chariot Cougar child trailer I bought used, I like the design of the hitch cup that attaches to the left rear axle, it's a simple ball and socket joint so if the bike falls over the trailer doesn't tip over too. I recently decided to change my bike from a derailleur to an IGH and Thule make an adapter nut so I can still attach the hitch cup to the Shimano Nexus axle. I also like it has leaf suspension springs to soak up the bumps. It was in production for over 10 years so parts are still easy to obtain.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Woosh Big Bear towing a trailer:

Reactions: Marwood Hill

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Just wondered if anyone has tried towing a trailer behind their e-bike, bought or home made. Any views on whether this is a good idea or not?.......Keith
It is the best way of transporting stuff. If you want recommendations on a trailer to buy ask away.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I live in an area with no ebikes, well, I did as that is changing fast and yesterday I stopped for a chat with someone towing a dog in a dogy trailer (probably on my vid so will have a look and post later) which was fitted to a hitch near the back wheel and looked really cool and stable.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
And you can legally cross the unbroken white line like that in the UK? It gives me the willies seeing you riding on the wrong side of the road too... :eek:

• Agree
Reactions: chris_n

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
And you can legally cross the unbroken white line like that in the UK? It gives me the willies seeing you riding on the wrong side of the road too... :eek:
It's a railway crossing with the gates down and traffic gets stopped there often for up to 10 minutes. The left turn is a way around to miss it. Bikes and pedestrians only. And no we can't legally overtake on double whites...

• Informative
Reactions: anotherkiwi

MandoKeith

Mar 29, 2018
St Leonards on Sea
Aahh, right-o, looks like it's possible then, just need to decide to buy or to build. Like your designs flecc and there's a spare stepladder sitting out on the veranda.

Reactions: flecc

Candpdoyle

Dec 29, 2017
Waterford, Ireland
Aahh, right-o, looks like it's possible then, just need to decide to buy or to build. Like your designs flecc and there's a spare stepladder sitting out on the veranda.
I found this online the other day [emoji106] of course I have just bought one to carry my kitesurfing kit, but may have a go at making a longer trailer that carries all my gear with ease at some later stage ...will start collecting scrap bikes in the meantime [emoji23]View attachment re-cycled_bicycle_trailer_design_1.pdf

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
It's a railway crossing with the gates down and traffic gets stopped there often for up to 10 minutes. The left turn is a way around to miss it. Bikes and pedestrians only. And no we can't legally overtake on double whites...
On the single unbroken white you can not cross the line, you seem to think it is ok for you to disregard the law then complain in other posts about driving standards!

ianboydsnr

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2018
Cumbria
On the single unbroken white you can not cross the line, you seem to think it is ok for you to disregard the law then complain in other posts about driving standards!
It’s legal to cross the line under certain circumstances, all dealt with under the Highway Code, one of those exceptions is to pass a stationary vehicle.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
I would suggest, as well as fitting the law requirenents of a light, a triangular reflector and a flag, that you also fit mudguards. Mudguards should be a legal requirement on all road wheels. They may not look ‘cool’ to some but the amount of muck, stones and grit that wheels flick up. Possibly into a persons eyes. None of the trailers i looked at on Ebay had mudguards so i bought two rear BMX plastic type and fitted to mine.

Garrydog

Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2017
Manchester
I would suggest, as well as fitting the law requirenents of a light, a triangular reflector and a flag, that you also fit mudguards. Mudguards should be a legal requirement on all road wheels. They may not look ‘cool’ to some but the amount of muck, stones and grit that wheels flick up. Possibly into a persons eyes. None of the trailers i looked at on Ebay had mudguards so i bought two rear BMX plastic type and fitted to mine.
Hi
Towing a trailer is brilliant I use one for my fishing gear ,I do about 8 miles each way when I go fishing and you don't really notice the trailer . I bought it cheap gumtree as a double child trailer ,remove all of the material and then make a bed with webbing and old seat belt webbing. You can put a box on the bed , or just put gear onto it as I do.
IMG_20180509_163702.jpg

Attachments