Track your bike.

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
A neat little tracker.

I would be worried about it flying off and getting crushed under a car wheel as has happened to many a rear light!

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Hello. I thought those of you lucky enough to own expensive ebikes may be interested in the following device for finding it if some lowlife steals it. GPS]GPS tracking device for bikes - from Magicshine UK tracking device for bikes - from Magicshine UK[/url]
Theory is good, practice might be different. If you are going to splash out £124 on a tracker that looks like a rear light then you would want that hardened steel lanyard to be un-cuttable, which it won't be.

Are there any identifying features, oh yes, that (thin) hardened steel lanyard maybe? Any semi-pro thief is going to check first and disable or remove the tracker before taking your bike!

Obviously it would track an opportunist theft, but then why didn't you secure your high value bike enough in the first place to prevent opportunists???

Surely someone could minaturise a tracker enough for it to be concealed on a bicycle, a quick google produces this, and more besides.....

Worlds Smallest Micro GPS Tracking Device for Car Hiking Travel Blogging Tracker GSM GPRS

It just needs to be made robust enough for cycle use.

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
ETim,

the link you have posted is the tracker I have for my motorbike. When I go on holiday I leave it in the pannier overnight. The pannier is a locked case and the GPS works fine from within.

It comes with 2 batteries and you need 2 because the battery life once charged is about 12 hours. There is no way of attaching it to a cycle apart from the strong magnet which is built in.

In my opinion the money would be better spent on getting really good locks for a cycle. My little GPS has lots of really good features on it and serves its purpose for holidays.

The other disadvantage of that rear light GPS tracker is that it appears that a lot of ebikes come with a fitted rear light and so an extra light would stand out too much.

Steve

Victoria Mariya

Just Joined
Oct 11, 2022
An active GPS tracker also generates alerts in case the bike is misplaced or misused. So choose a GPS tracker that gives regular and precise location updates, which help to locate and recover a stolen or lost bike.