Trading up

Libster

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 20, 2016
West Midlands
Hi - I've just joined. I've been using electric bikes for about 10 years. Started off with the excellent Giant Lafree Twist, which was expensive (£800 then, and that was at a discount) but good value - it lasted me 8 years. Then I got the Byocycles Chameleon which was much cheaper but I've sold it on Ebay because it's not particularly comfortable and I reckon it's past its best. Not sure what to get next. I've tried out the Volt Kensington, but I didn't like it. much (brilliant saddle though). My favourite bike shop in town is recommending either the Ridgeback Electron Plus or the Raleigh Motus - both of which are eye-wateringly expensive - and neither of them came up when I tried your Bike Search just now.. I tried the Ridgeback Electron Plus yesterday - it was very impressive, but there are no online reviews as yet. The Motus is down as a 'Best Buy' on at least one review - but of course it's been around for much longer - maybe the Electron Plus is just too new?

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
Hello, welcome.

Can you say a bit about how you'll use the bike and on what kind of terrain? Folk will be better placed then to understand the recommendation your bike shop is giving you and maybe make other suggestions. I suspect they're both crank drive (I know the Raleigh one is, not sure about the Ridgeback) which may explain the price hike over the bikes you've had which are all hub drive, I think. Knowing how you'll use the bike will be a guide as to whether a crank drive is an advantage for you.

Libster

Aug 20, 2016
West Midlands
Thanks for that Angelnorth. I use the bike mainly on tarmac - bike paths and roads - for commuting to and from work, to the shops and occasionally to social events at evenings and weekends - somewhere around 30 miles per week, maybe more in summer and less in winter. I have arthritis and wonky knee caps, so it's essential I keep mobile but don't push too hard. I think crank drives would suit me better as far as fine control in traffic goes, though I'm going to miss the throttle for getting me started at junctions and on hills.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
OK, I was hoping somebody with more experience/expertise than me would chip in but so far so quiet. Maybe try asking in the "which electric bike should I buy" bit of the forum and see if you get more response there? The commercial folk who sponsor the forum are limited as to what they say in this "welcome" section and might have more to offer elsewhere.

For what it's worth, it doesn't sound to me as if your usage and terrain (you haven't mentioned any significant hills, for example) makes a crank drive a particular advantage. I wonder whether it's really a crank drive that gives you better "fine control" as you put it or whether that's down to the sensor type?

I have a Wisper 705 Torque which is essentially a torque sensor system but also has a cadence sensor if you want to go that way. I haven't played much with the cadence setting but from the little play I have had, I'd say that the torque feels much more like you have powerful legs and you're in control rather than a sense of the bike potentially running away from you. Using any of the assist settings (1-4) that use the torque sensor just gives a feeling of instant extra power when you push down on the pedals.

Your arthritis and wonky knee caps may also point to sticking with a hub drive - again, others with more expertise than me might be better placed to advise (also in terms of whether a torque sensor might not be so good in that respect).

The shop is obviously going to steer you in terms of the stock they have. Do you have access to another shop where you might be able to try different things? You'd have a better point of comparison then.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Angel, you are becoming a real expert!

The biggest advantage of a Torque sensor rear hub style bike over the Ralaigh Captus is the way they both start on hills. The Wisper Torque offers immediate assistance as soon as the rider presses down on the pedals, where as most mid motor bikes need to get moving first.

The Wisper is quieter and more powerful than the motor used on the Captus and if you need a rest will work in F setting just by turning the pedals without putting any pressure on them. It also has a legal throttle if needed.

It's worth trying both bikes.

All the best, David

Suseka

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2016
Norfolk
Hello and welcome.

Just wanted to add a different perspective.

My partner suffers from chronic degenerative arthritis in his knees and he test rode both the Wisper Torque and SE (cadence version). He opted for the SE because he felt it was more forgiving on his knees.

He has been using it as his daily commute for some weeks now and has appreciated the reduced effort required to get home when he's had a particularly tough day. To put that into context he works in an engineering enviroment and is on his feet all day.

Best advice you'll get from these good folks is to go and test ride some you are interested if you can.

Libster

Aug 20, 2016
West Midlands
Thanks Angelnorth and Amps Electric Bikes. They are a couple of steepish hills (actually two different routes up the same hill) that I have to tackle daily - but it's hardly the Pennines. I tried the Kensington at one bike shop; the others are on offer at my preferred shop - both are trustworthy shops and (I think) genuinely only stock models they think are good value - they have and will discontinue models if customers give less than enthusiastic reports on them. According to the website, my nearest Amps dealer is a good 20+ miles away and I'm just not prepared to do that. However, you're probably right that a bike with a better sensor might be better than crank drive.

I've done as you suggest,ed Angelnorth, and posted my query on the 'what bike should I buy?' thread. In fact, I thought I'd posted this reply hours ago, but it seems not.

Hi Suseka - I would say my arthritis is probably less bad than your partners, but then the instability of the knee cap might even things up a bit. I take the point about cadence though, thanks.

Libster

Aug 20, 2016
West Midlands
I'm nowhere new your main centre, kudos cycles, but I believe there is a dealer near me - would they have access to those?