Tread Thread!

grasshopper

Pedelecer
May 23, 2012
Hi all ... :eek:

I had my first puncture last week and I'm feeling really pleased with myself after a successful inner tube repair; but thought I would upgrade to a more puncture resistant set of tyres. I've bought a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres. Noticed that they seem to have a directional arrow in the tread pattern. Is this just an interesting 'arty' feature or is it intended to point :rolleyes: me to how they should be fitted? I have disc brakes on my bike, so laterally rotating the wheels if I get the tyre fitting wrong isn't an option.

Forgive the newbie numpty question!:eek:

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Hi...I don't know how much difference it makes but isn't it as easy to fit 'em right as wrong ?

I've just fitted a pair of MPs and before starting I laid the new tyre out in the same direction as the one that I was removing....eazy peazy. :)

...you won't be sorry you fit MP's ...on my previous bike just shy of 3000 miles without a puncture.

.....Mike

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, the arrow is important, especially on the rear and the front if front hub motored. The pointing of the tread pattern ensures the self clearing of water under running conditions. The wrong way round gathers in a build up of water etc which can impair adhesion. The arrow points in the direction of rotation of the wheel.

grasshopper

Pedelecer
May 23, 2012
Hi...I don't know how much difference it makes but isn't it as easy to fit 'em right as wrong ?

I've just fitted a pair of MPs and before starting I laid the new tyre out in the same direction as the one that I was removing....eazy peazy. :)
... but I'm not replacing MPs ...!

grasshopper

Pedelecer
May 23, 2012
Yes, the arrow is important, especially on the rear and the front if front hub motored. The pointing of the tread pattern ensures the self clearing of water under running conditions. The wrong way round gathers in a build up of water etc which can impair adhesion. The arrow points in the direction of rotation of the wheel.
Thanks flecc!! alles klar!:)

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
....makes no mind...I think they all have arrows....unless I misunderstood the question :)
My Kojaks can be fitted to run in either direction :p

Regards

Jerry

grasshopper

Pedelecer
May 23, 2012
...you won't be sorry you fit MP's ...on my previous bike just shy of 3000 miles without a puncture.

.....Mike
Wow ... that's reassuring! Thanks, Mike :)

grasshopper

Pedelecer
May 23, 2012

grasshopper

Pedelecer
May 23, 2012
Hi all ... :eek:

I had my first puncture last week and I'm feeling really pleased with myself after a successful inner tube repair:eek:
Just checked which way I fitted the old tyre after the puncture repair ... you've guessed it! Yes, the tread on the old tyre has arrows and yes, the Law of Sod means that I fitted it the wrong way!!! Guess I'll be changing the tyres this weekend!

Dummkopf :eek:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Don't worry its always good to practise in the comfort of your own home/workshop, ready for when you have to do it on the road side :)

Regards

Jerry

grasshopper

Pedelecer
May 23, 2012
Don't worry its always good to practise in the comfort of your own home/workshop, ready for when you have to do it on the road side :)

Regards

Jerry
Thanks for that, Jerry. I was rather hoping that I could call the RAC if I'm caught with a 'flat' en-route ... from what you say, I appear to have been over optimistic?

Yes, it was deliciously dry & warm in the house when I practised changing the tyre; but wife remains unhappy about skid marks on ironing board :(

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Wow ... that's reassuring! Thanks, Mike :)
More reassurance. I've had MPs on three different bikes over the last five plus years, just one slow puncture back in 2008 and that was my carelessness in riding over freshly cut blackthorn on a cycle path. Still didn't have to repair it on the road though, rode the six miles home on one pump top up only.

grasshopper

Pedelecer
May 23, 2012
More reassurance. I've had MPs on three different bikes over the last five plus years, just one slow puncture back in 2008 and that was my carelessness in riding over freshly cut blackthorn on a cycle path. Still didn't have to repair it on the road though, rode the six miles home on one pump top up only.
Keep that reassurance coming! Thanks, flecc.