Treadmill Bicycle

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
These look interesting and legal at 15.5mph. I wonder what the police would make of it?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
A closer look from 7 years ago:

Last edited:

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
These look interesting and legal at 15.5mph. I wonder what the police would make of it?
can they afford the back hander to the PM thats generally required for scooter-ish wide spread approval?

Price has probably skyrocketed since the last deal went through though, the current one isnt as desperate as the last sell out. I hope not at least..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Seems perfectly legal, leg action controlling delivery of motor power.

It would have a problem with 250LPM for a throttle approval though, since the L1e Moped classes require a seat for the rider.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Seems perfectly legal, leg action controlling delivery of motor power.
I'm wondering how far the definition of "Leg action" be stretched? Would a PAS system based on extremely small leg movements and tiny pedals be legal? For severely disabled persons only able to twiddle one or more toes on each foot while seated, because of medical or terminal case laziness reasons for example. Also, how many toe twiddles amount to a step, for those recommended 10,000 steps per day?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Also, I have been wondering (while off the bike with a knee injury) how the rules apply to hand operated cycles?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The interpretation of the law is that the bike/scooter must be able to be ridden at a safe speed on the road without power. This vehicle seems to meet that requirement, so should be legal as long as the power stops when you stop walking, the speed is limited to 15.5 mph and it has a motor rated at 250w or less.

There was a case where a woman appealed against her conviction for riding a normal electric scooter. She had been caught a previous time, when the police told her not to use it and explained that it needed pedals to be legal. She therefore got someone to weld two offset bolts to the front wheel so that it could be turned by feet. The judge ruled that it couldn't be pedalled fast enough to be safe and upheld her conviction.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm wondering how far the definition of "Leg action" be stretched? Would a PAS system based on extremely small leg movements and tiny pedals be legal? For severely disabled persons only able to twiddle one or more toes on each foot while seated, because of medical or terminal case laziness reasons for example. Also, how many toe twiddles amount to a step, for those recommended 10,000 steps per day?
Also, I have been wondering (while off the bike with a knee injury) how the rules apply to hand operated cycles?
High Court rulings have been made that the pedals should be fully functional as such, so tiny cranks with pedals on both sides of small wheels are not legal.

But hand cycles rotating a chainwheel or hand cycles with a fore and aft rowing action both qualify as pedalling.

Once again it's the spirit of Parliament's intention that counts, not the letter of the law.

• Informative
Reactions: sjpt