Trec 810 forks mxus hub

Discussion in 'Electric Bicycles' started by bayrider, Mar 8, 2018.

1. bayrider

bayrider Finding my (electric) wheels

Hi everyone have got an issue and that is got a trek 810 mtb which is ideal as the forks are robust and strong steel which made it an ideal choice to use with mxus mottor, I checked it to fit my axle 100mm and it does but found once the hub was fitted on the forks I haven't enough clearance for the upper outer hub where the outer screws are fitted, the forks are wider fatter here then below where they sit, so my question is can I file/grind the sides flush to allow the forks the clearance needed ? I am guessing I need to clear 3mm each side but not for until tightened up. Any advise would be much appreciated I don't at this stage want to look at alternative forks. If not practical or safe to do so how about trying to widen stretch the forks further apart and if this is an option how or best way to do this?

Just researched the frame and this is what it's made of :

chromoly
    ˈkrəʊmɒli/
    noun
    1. a form of steel containing chromium and molybdenum, used to make strong, lightweight components such as bicycle frames.

Thanks guys

Attached Files:

#1 bayrider, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  2. Nealh

Nealh Pedelecer

I wouldn't be grinding any thing off the fork legs, forks aren't suitable for using in this case.In my view and from my experience in time or within 500 miles of use the fork dropouts will crack/snap whether or not torque arms are used.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    • Like Like x 1
  3. bayrider

Hi thanks for reply I have a carrara bike with same motor steel forks and no issues and no width issues I am aware of torque arms have used on weak framed forks. With this trec bike I put a magnet on the forks and it took to them so I know the forks are suitable for the motor hub ..... so would I be ok trying to widen if possible and if so how? or likewise file or carefully grind each inner side of the forks.

4. Nealh

Nealh Pedelecer

If steel then no real issue with D/O as they look plenty thick but I still wouldn't go down the road of grinding off any of the forks thickness. Ideally you need a set of forks the same as the Carrera.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bayrider

Thanks might have to look at the forks option failing that anyway over time of widening / stretching apart say with a wooden block or anything? if this fails as it's light might just ride as a normal bike

6. They're not steel forks. the bottom , where the drop-outs are, is cast with the main part. you can't do that with steel. steel dorks have welded on drop-outs or they smash the steel tube flat.

To solve your problem, you need new forks with inboard drop-outs or a new motor.

7. bayrider

oh thanks for that I might well just ride it as a normal mtb as it's very light without hub gutted wanted this to work out but that said cost 70 so not too bad I guess could get forks but would need them affordable to make the project worthwhile

8. bayrider

So you wouldn't advise then even if I where to get a torque arm fitted for added strength, filling down each side to height of hub till totally clear of rubbing both sides on the forks then?

9. They're hollow. How much can you file them before the inside is on the outside?

10. Woosh

Woosh Trade Member

strange case.
    can you post a picture of your motor?

11. bayrider

Attached Files:

12. bayrider

Sent Trek an email if they can advise the thickness of the tube. It's kind of ironic but seem to have plenty of play with the rear axle but hope not being stupid here, but would the front e hub fit on the rear or is it all completely different ball game and if so how ?

#12 bayrider, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  13. Kendalian

Kendalian Finding my (electric) wheels

You'd be missing gears if you tried that - and somewhere to put the chain.

14. Woosh

Woosh Trade Member

you can't use a front hub motor at the rear.
    If my memory is correct, the two anti torque washers are inside the fork.
    How are the AR washers on your wheel?

15. bayrider

yes the washers would be inside the fork / axle

16. Woosh

Woosh Trade Member

Try placing the 1mm thick normal washers between the motor and the AR washers, they may help to clear the motor from touching the inside of the fork.

17. bayrider

It seems when lining up the flat part of the axle to the forks when bike is upside down that it sits in the D/O but need to apply pressure to fully mount it then the motor casing is somewhat wedged no room either side for maneuver the forks are rigid was considering if possible filling down both sides of the lower part of the forks to allow some space chromoly seems to be the said material used for this make of trek bike

18. Woosh

Woosh Trade Member

it may be worth your while replacing the fork.
    This problem is virtually eliminated on all recent suspension forks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice