Trike'll be here soon-what do I need? (locks, helmet, mirror recommendations please)

Tara

Pedelecer
Aug 13, 2011
Torbay, South Devon
Hello folks

I've read quite a few reviews about bicycle locks, and I just need good security for when I park up at the Post Office, supermarket and town (At home, the trike will kept be inside the house)

• I think the Kryptonite D-locks seem pretty good along with a decent cable -
Any feedback on Kryptonite stuff please?

• I see that the mirrycle mirrors are liked on here -
Whats wrong with the cheapo (glass not mirrored ones) on ebay? How do they differ from the mirrycle ones?

• Oh and I'll need a helmet - handy when its piddling down but not good for the lady hairdo!
Again, any recommendations please?

Many thanks
Tara :)

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
Tara,

with regrards to mirrors. First make sure the stems are long enough to see behind you. I use busch and Muller mirrors on my bikes and they are really good because they are very tough and I have not managed to break one yet. They are also very clear. It is worth paying the extra because some of those cheap mirrors on e-bay break too easily or the clarity is not as good.

Helmets are a personal thing, sometimes I do, sometimes I don`t. When I had my recumbent trike I never did. The chances of falling off a trike in normal everyday riding is pretty slim. The use of a cycle helmet if something like a car hits you is doubtful. I have a shed full of helmets and like I say it is a totally personal thing whether you wear one or not.

Whatever lock, cable or chain you decide on, make sure you secure the trike to something that does not move and not just fasten it round a wheel. It is so easy to pick a bike or trike up and throw it into the back of a van.

Winter is coming and so get a good set of lights that you can remove easily. Mine is a Hope Vision 1 and looks like a small coke can. I did a lot of research and this light is wonderful....but expensive. I have had it 2 years in all weather and it is the best I have ever had. It also gets battered around on a daily basis and never fails.

Steve

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
I have had kryptonite D locks and squire D locks that were very good and had good reviews.

Just watch some of locks come with an insurance guarantee that they will pay you money (e.g £500) if your bike gets stolen, but in the small print it says you have to give them the broken lock to make a claim so you are relying on the theif leaving the lock behind which they dont in my experience do.

saying that some of the locks with the included insurance are very good locks just dont rely on that insurance paying out to replace your trike.

I got a good Giro helmet on ebay for £18.28 inc postage:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIRO-SKYLINE-UNISIZE-ADULTS-MOUNTAIN-BIKE-CYCLE-HELMET-/250849559105?pt=UK_Cycling_Clothing&var=&hash=item8010b962c0

Giro is a good quality brand in the past when I have bought them they were £30+

Last edited:

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
Tara,
You may wish to consider a helmet or spectacle mirror.

The advantage of having a constant rearward view is that movement in the mirror registers immediately. Our peripheral vision is more sensitive to movement and claims our attention.
The only downside that I have found with the spectacle version is nudging it when not on the bike.

A special UK version is available from this site but the helmet adaptor is extra.

Dave

PINK DOG! TAKE A LOOK the Best Clip On Bicycle Mirror | eBay

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Tara,
You may wish to consider a helmet or spectacle mirror.

The advantage of having a constant rearward view is that movement in the mirror registers immediately. Our peripheral vision is more sensitive to movement and claims our attention.
The only downside that I have found with the spectacle version is nudging it when not on the bike.

A special UK version is available from this site but the helmet adaptor is extra.

Dave

PINK DOG! TAKE A LOOK the Best Clip On Bicycle Mirror | eBay
Hi Dave, how long did they take to come?

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
Greetings Alan,
Sorry, the Master recons that it was about 5 years since I ordered it but we can't recall having to wait any length for delivery, not tapping a foot she says.

I keep it permanently on one pair of specs and still wear them for anything other than shopping trips. I like the way that a small movement sweeps the width of the road allowing sight of any curve or bend I am on.

Dave

PS. Got it for the recumbent, first class.

Last edited:

Tara

Pedelecer
Aug 13, 2011
Torbay, South Devon
I have had kryptonite D locks and squire D locks that were very good and had good reviews.

Just watch some of locks come with an insurance guarantee that they will pay you money (e.g £500) if your bike gets stolen, but in the small print it says you have to give them the broken lock to make a claim so you are relying on the theif leaving the lock behind which they dont in my experience do.

saying that some of the locks with the included insurance are very good locks just dont rely on that insurance paying out to replace your trike.

I got a good Giro helmet on ebay for £18.28 inc postage:

GIRO SKYLINE UNISIZE ADULTS MOUNTAIN BIKE CYCLE HELMET | eBay

Giro is a good quality brand in the past when I have bought them they were £30+

Hi Oigoi and thanks for the info :)

Are all Kryptonite locks pretty good, or should I just focus on the 'New York Fahgettaboudit' ??

Tara

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
the new york one is the strongest, but it is also quite small, and might be of limited use as it would be trickier to fit around the trike and whatever you are securing it to.

I would suggest the evolution series 4 as it is a bit larger so more practical, but still very strong

TwoBikes

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2011
The problem with the cheap mirrors is that they have flat glass, meaning that you can't see very much behind you. Mirrors on motor vehicles are required to have convex glass, giving them a greater field of view. Good cycle mirrors do the same, even though they are not required to.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
HOPE VISION 1 LIGHT

Like I said it is expensive but I have a box full of "Other" torches that I tried before I got the Hope Vision. I would have saved money if I had gone for it straight away.

hope vision 1 | eBay

BUSCH MULLER CYCLESTAR MIRROR

Again not cheap. I always used 2 on my trike and use 2 on my recumbent. They take a lot of battering and give really good, cleár vision behind. They are worth the money. I think you would need the long stemmed ones. Really simple to fix to the bike.

Busch and Muller Cyclestar Bicycle Rear View Mirror | eBay

Steve

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
HOPE VISION 1 LIGHT

Like I said it is expensive but I have a box full of "Other" torches that I tried before I got the Hope Vision. I would have saved money if I had gone for it straight away.

hope vision 1 | eBay

BUSCH MULLER CYCLESTAR MIRROR

Again not cheap. I always used 2 on my trike and use 2 on my recumbent. They take a lot of battering and give really good, cleár vision behind. They are worth the money. I think you would need the long stemmed ones. Really simple to fix to the bike.

Busch and Muller Cyclestar Bicycle Rear View Mirror | eBay

Steve
What mirror mount do you prefer? Bar end? ...

sapper44

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2011
I have the Zefal Mirror Spin Retractable Bar End Fit.Wiggle | Zefal Spin Mirror Bike Mirrors is a great little mirror,not cheap but worth the money as I can move the mirror out of the way when not in use as bike is kept in hallway.It's a small mirror but I can see plenty good enough behind me.I do have to set it up every time I go out biking.I would also look at some on bike storage as when using back back I was finding my back getting very sweaty.Some offers in Lidli at the moment might find something there.

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
What mirror mount do you prefer? Bar end? ...
I only have them on my Bacchetta Giro 26 and bar end wouldn`t work on it.

If it was for a standard bike I think you would have to try them because I don`t know if you would be able to see behind using the short stems. If you ask on Velovision.com, someone will tell you the best to use.

Steve

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
Pterosail trikes have been doing this for a long time and look far more exciting.

Pterosail Sail Trike - YouTube

Being a sailmaker I thought about doing it but the mast and sail would get in the way if you were on the road. Even though they say it is road legal. I have my doubts.

Certainly not new though.

Steve