Trying to source a Panasonic Crank Drive System

fergusgorman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 6, 2013
Hello I have a Kalkhoff Bicycle with a 250w panasonic crank drive unit. Unfortunately after many miles of trouble free cycling it requires replacing. I have contacted 50 cycles who have been most helpful in sourcing a new unit however I would like to ask if anybody would likely have a second hand unit that they would be willing to sell. Many thanks and look forward to a reply.

Fergus

50 Hertz

Pedelecer
Mar 6, 2013
You could try looking on the German EBay site. Second hand Panasonic units are ocaisionly listed on there.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Make sure any unit you buy is the later one Fergus. The first series unit has different mountings and is lower powered. Even the second series as on the Kalkhoffs has changed substantially over time. The high power mode was 1.3 times standard power from 2007. That changed to 1.5 times in 2009 and more recently to 2 times. In addition, the power phase down speeds have changed drastically. The units from 2007 phased down power from 9.4 mph, but that was later increased more than once and the more recent units have full power to almost 15 mph.

And as if that's not all complicated enough, they have been supplied in different base powers for different bike makes, according to what the bike maker specifies. For example, Kalkhoff have always used the highest power unit, while Gazelle for their Easy Glider model used the lowest.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
As flecc says above, he is a genius when it comes to panasonic motors! :)

I have a later model panasonic motor, as used by derby cycles (Kalkhoff) brand new here ready to go.

I have had a quick look on your behalf at second hand units and they are hard to come by.
I think realistically you'll be looking at £200-£250 for a second hand unit. After all it is the second most expensive piece to the system, obviously the battery being first!

Here's an offer for you to consider..
I could part with a brand new motor unit for £250!
How does that sound! I normally sell them for £400.
Price is only due to the motor being surplus to requirements.

Let me know I am based in Petersfield (Hampshire), so you could be back on your ebike way in no time.

Regards

Martin

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Here's an offer for you to consider..
I could part with a brand new motor unit for £250!
How does that sound! I normally sell them for £400.
Price is only due to the motor being surplus to requirements.

Let me know I am based in Petersfield (Hampshire), so you could be back on your ebike way in no time.

Regards

Martin
This is a bargain price, as is Martin's normal new price. Commonly new units in the UK are priced at £500.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Got any 48v batteries you want to give away Martin

Worth an ask whilst you appear to be in an exceptionally generous mood :)

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
Martin@e-bikeshop;173061 That's not to say I couldn't do you a good deal though :) Martin [/QUOTE said:
How about a quote for a Wisper Sport 905Se battery (36V 14Ah) - the 2008 model with a kettle plug?

I could let you have the old one back - Wisper themselves offer a discount against an old but undamaged battery.

No hurry - just a thought! I'm not sure that David Miall would approve of this!

Rog.

Last edited:

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
How about a quote for a Wisper Sport 905Se battery (36V 14Ah) - the 2008 model with a kettle plug?

I could let you have the old one back - Wisper themselves offer a discount against an old but undamaged battery.

Rog.
Hi Rog,

I would have to see exactly what cells are within the case.
As for having the old one back, I have no use for it here (not being a wisper dealer).
But I would intend on replacing what's inside, retaining the old case.

Like I say I would need the battery here and strip it down, i could certainly do it cheaper than wisper themselves.

It may be a case of finding a period where you don't need to be on the bike, i.e you go on holiday and leave the battery with me for a week or so.

If you do need to be on the bike all the time, I would suggest wisper themselves as you could just get a straight swap etc.

Regards
Martin

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Hi
We sell Wisper bikes. I will message you with an offer. We also happened to have taken a wisper in part exchange with a kettle plug.

Kind regards,
David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent

Rog.
No worries here Rog!

All the best

David :)

fergusgorman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 6, 2013
Thanks to Martin for selling me a new Panasonic unit for a very reasonable £250. Very happy