Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Reactions: Woosh

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It depends on the width of your gears. I think you may need a wide one for an automatix. Frankly any 6/7/8 speed chain should be strong enough because they have thicker side plates than 9/10/11 speed ones.

Grigoriy

Just Joined
Jan 30, 2018
London
I have an automatix freewheel which I plan to put on to my tsdz2 setup. I use it on a daily bike at the moment and Ive done the mod to have the second gear switch over at 15-16mph. I am also torn between just putting a 58t chainring on. It is a regular automatix so the main issue for me is that i lose out on my rear disc brake. There is a disc brake version but it is 135mm and my rear drop out is 120mm. There is also an disc adaptor available also made by a company in germany - cesur.de i think, but I havent looked to much into it.

The tsdz2 tops out at 90ish rpm where the assistance seems to drop, because I cannot generate enough torque for the sensor at that rpm maybe. It doesnt feel like its runnning out of power - if I spin hard to maybe 100rpm, I can still feel the motor kick in to top a little over 23mph. Its just I cannot maintain it that long.

Im sure that an automatix will allow it to go beyond 22mph if rpms are low.

I would run the the same 13t cog on my setup with it because it the tsdz2 can handle the climbs already and at higher speeds maybe mod the automatix to switch over at 20mph if possible. The automatix second gear is 133% I think so 109 gear inches.

Saying all that, I am happy with how my tsdz2 setup as it is...for now.
I have an automatix freewheel which I plan to put on to my tsdz2 setup. I use it on a daily bike at the moment and Ive done the mod to have the second gear switch over at 15-16mph. I am also torn between just putting a 58t chainring on. It is a regular automatix so the main issue for me is that i lose out on my rear disc brake. There is a disc brake version but it is 135mm and my rear drop out is 120mm. There is also an disc adaptor available also made by a company in germany - cesur.de i think, but I havent looked to much into it.

The tsdz2 tops out at 90ish rpm where the assistance seems to drop, because I cannot generate enough torque for the sensor at that rpm maybe. It doesnt feel like its runnning out of power - if I spin hard to maybe 100rpm, I can still feel the motor kick in to top a little over 23mph. Its just I cannot maintain it that long.

Im sure that an automatix will allow it to go beyond 22mph if rpms are low.

I would run the the same 13t cog on my setup with it because it the tsdz2 can handle the climbs already and at higher speeds maybe mod the automatix to switch over at 20mph if possible. The automatix second gear is 133% I think so 109 gear inches.

Saying all that, I am happy with how my tsdz2 setup as it is...for now.
I have to warn you about bad quality of steel they use to produce axles for Sram Automatix hubs.
I already had this setup with Sram Automatix disc hub with 16T sprocket and 42T stock chainring. After about 2 months of use while I was cycling the axle of the Automatix broke literally in half inside the hub. It sounded like a shot. I wasn't even speeding at that moment so I managed to stop without falling down.
Since then I use only Shimano Nexus 3 hub with 18T dished sprocket and 50T flat chainring .