tuning my bike for more speed

abbott013

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 5, 2015
Hello Guys and Girls
I am new to the forum and new to e bikes after just recently purchasing a oxygen emate city one week ago.
I have read I can make my bike go faster and that is what I am going to do, hopefully with someone's help on here. Please feel free to pm me.
The thing I don't understand is, its almost like a paranoia / taboo to talk about derestricting your e bike. I can tune my car / motorcycle so what is going on with e bikes.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
There's a legal restriction where as the motor must cease to assist the rider at 15.5mph. De-restricting a pedelec is just about taking away, or increasing that 15.5mph limit.

Some people think that this will also increase the torque or general power of the bike but this is not the case.

De-restricting obviously then makes it illegal to use on the public road and on public places in general and will almost certainly void your warranty.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
There should be a simple way of changing the cut out speed in the settings on your bike. The reason it isn’t the same as tuning or chipping a car is because if you change the cut out speed to higher than is allowed under the law for pedelecs it becomes a motor vehicle, and needs to be insured and registered; which is quite close to impossible anyway.

People do derestrict all the time, but there is a risk that if they were involved in a serous accident and police tested the bike they would find themselves liable. Clearly a bike going just a bit faster than it should is not really the same as a 3000w electric motorcycle pretending to be a pedelec. But derestricted riders do run the risk of losing their driving licence for using an uninsured vehicle. It may be a small risk but it does exist.

This is the case on the road or off road, and the only place it’s legal to ride a derestricted bike is on private land where the public has no access or foot paths or rights of way.

Last edited:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Hello Guys and Girls
I am new to the forum and new to e bikes after just recently purchasing a oxygen emate city one week ago.
I have read I can make my bike go faster and that is what I am going to do, hopefully with someone's help on here. Please feel free to pm me.
The thing I don't understand is, its almost like a paranoia / taboo to talk about derestricting your e bike. I can tune my car / motorcycle so what is going on with e bikes.
There are two easy things you can do:

1. Remove the restriction. This will allow the motor to assist to a higher speed, and then as you go faster the assistance will tail off.
2. Modify the controller so it gives a bit more current. Thus will give you more current, thus more power. So you'll get a bit more speed and torque. (aka Soldering the shunt.)

Both items 1&2 will annoy the fun police greatly, so are worth doing for that reason alone.

It all depends on the controller. Show us a few pics and we can advise.

D8veh will know exactly what you have I expect.

D

Deleted member 4366

The speed is set un the LCD. If you have the "set" button, press and hold it, otherwise it's the plus and minus buttons. Once you're in the settings, you'll soon figure out what button does what.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
The speed is set un the LCD. If you have the "set" button, press and hold it, otherwise it's the plus and minus buttons. Once you're in the settings, you'll soon figure out what button does what.
How about soldering the shunt? Is it possible/easy on these controllers?

Twangman

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2012
London
When it comes to the fun police on the forum, I wonder how many are car owners and how many times they have gone over speed limits in their car?

EddieH

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2015
Oh I know all about that Eddie! Still, in my book,15 mph is quick enough for most folk on a bike. A nicely-geared, lightweight road bike however, will do more than that without stretching those who are far from fit and athletic....and that is perfectly legal.

Tom
I had/still have a Bosch Haibike, a " nicely-geared, lightweight road bike", which I really struggled to use. The only bikes I have found with the power to shift my fat lardy backside without the remains of my lungs giving up have been the "over powered" ones. My latest comes with a derestricted switch to give the extra speed but that is not used I just need the extra power to be able to cycle.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I had/still have a Bosch Haibike, a " nicely-geared, lightweight road bike", which I really struggled to use. The only bikes I have found with the power to shift my fat lardy backside without the remains of my lungs giving up have been the "over powered" ones. My latest comes with a derestricted switch to give the extra speed but that is not used I just need the extra power to be able to cycle.
I'm afraid we're talking different languages Eddie. My idea of a road bike is something, usually with drop bars, weighing say, 7-10 Kgs, with 2 chain wheels at the front and typically 10 cogs at the back. Your Bosch Haibike doesn't really meet that kind of spec.

For me, anyone who claims today's legal-spec EAPCs aren't sufficiently powerful for their needs,really ought to look at mopeds, scooters or motorcycles for the power they require. To use unregistered, uninsured motor vehicles is simply criminal.

Tom

Last edited:
When it comes to the fun police on the forum, I wonder how many are car owners and how many times they have gone over speed limits in their car?
You're not comparing the same things... which if you're using an illegal eBike and this is your justification is something you probably need to research.

removing the speed restriction on an eBike, means its no longer a pedelec and it becomes a moped. So doing so, is VERY MUCH NOT the same as speeding in your car. It is the same as not MOT'ing, insuring or taxing your car and driving it on the public roads.

Think of the dongled / derestricted eBikes as a motorbike (because they are) and you'll see why using them on the road and offroad in the UK has more potential risk than simply being caught "speeding".

Twangman

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2012
London
Col, As you very well know shop sold bikes which the owners have either derestricted or added a dongle as opposed to some DIY kit bikes are not the same as a motorbike no way can they achieve the same power/speed. At best you could class most derestricted bikes as a lower powered moped which enables the rider either by peddling or throttle to go as fast as your average fit cyclist.

I must admit I'm getting a bit sick of the Punch and Judy show of you and Old Tom popping up putting the same old record on every time someone mentions derestricting. Very few people when they buy a bike wlll not know that the bike they purchased is limited at 15.5mph or what the position is re the law, we are all adults and can make our own choices.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Col, As you very well know shop sold bikes which the owners have either derestricted or added a dongle as opposed to some DIY kit bikes are not the same as a motorbike no way can they achieve the same power/speed. At best you could class most derestricted bikes as a lower powered moped which enables the rider either by peddling or throttle to go as fast as your average fit cyclist.

I must admit I'm getting a bit sick of the Punch and Judy show of you and Old Tom popping up putting the same old record on every time someone mentions derestricting. Very few people when they buy a bike wlll not know that the bike they purchased is limited at 15.5mph or what the position is re the law, we are all adults and can make our own choices.
Twangman....the forum should be congratulated in making people aware that riding derestricted bikes is illegal,as you say you are all adults and can then make your own choices. But the wider problem is dealers who give customers the impression that riding S-class bikes(28mph x 350 watt power)in the UK is a 'grey area of legality' or 'it's only a bicycle the police won't bother you' or just not informing the risks involved. The dealer on this forum,who I have a lot of respect for his knowledge and customer service but finds no problem in fitting dongles to Bosch bikes which must invalidate the warranty and makes the bike illegal as a bicycle and should be registered/taxed/insured as a motor vehicle.
Are all the customers of these dealers aware that they are committing 7 motor offences,they could lose their driving licence just riding their bicycle....if they are aware then as you say that is their choice,I wonder if in many cases they don't realise the gravity of the offences involved,after all 'they are just riding a bicycle'
Just wondering what would be the result if the police and/or trading standards decided to have a vendetta against these illegals....I suppose the dongles could always be removed or king displays taken back to their 15,5 mph default settings but it would be less easy to disguise an S-class bike...suppose you could take it back to the dealer and demand your money back because the e-bike is not fit for purpose in the UK.
KudosDave

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
What's a bit frustrating as a seller of e-bikes is that KTM have some very sexy S-class bikes listed in £ in their 2016 range price list. Unfortunately we are not allowed to sell these bikes in the UK.
KudosDave

Twangman

Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2012
London
Hi Dave

The reason why I get annoyed is because when someone asked about derestrting their bike UNLESS they ask about the Law or Warrenty I assume they have already done the research and know that answer.

And I do get tired of the same few people who think their the moral guardians of the forum and endlessly bang on about the leagallity.

On another note I also think the Trade members should remember this forum is where bike owners can discuss issues and unless the Trades opinion is specifically asked for maybe Trade members should think twice before posting. :)

Twangman.

You specifically did ask the question!

You even ended your post with a question mark. So please don't complain when someone responds ;)

I fully appreciate this comment, and I do agree everyone is free to make their own choices, and if those choices involve breaking the law - you're then liable to the consequences of those choices.

All I'm saying is that its in everyones interests to ensure these choices are educated ones, and not made on the back of ignorance of the laws you're breaking.

However....

When you say things like this,

your argument of about adults being entitled to make informed choices.... relies on those choices being informed. Therefore each time someone posts something on a public forum that is simply incorrect (like this). Its right that others post the correct information so that any third party reading the post can see that a mistake has been made.

There is no grey area in the UK, and whilst you might think that "at best you could class most derestricted bikes as a lower powered moped" I'm afraid its simply not up to you.

This website / forum is called pedelecs. There is a very clear definition of what a pedelecs is in the UK Law, and it has 250w and a top assist speed of 15.5mph. Anything over that... IS A MOTORBIKE. This isn't my opinion or a grey area, its simply a fact.

So if you're using a derestricted bike, you ARE riding a motorbike. The fact its currently pretty much impossible to register, tax, MOT and insure these motorbikes - means you're riding it illegally.

If you were to say... I know I'm riding an illegal motorbike and I have looked at the risks and decided I'm happy to break the laws and take the consequences should I be caught or involved in an accident, then I'd have no argument with you. Especially if you were trying to educate others about the risks they were taking.

However you're not, you're saying that we're just the fun police, when all we're trying to do is make sure people are actually educated on the risks they are taking, because there are lots, possibly yourself included who don't understand what you're doing and the risks.

What's a bit frustrating as a seller of e-bikes is that KTM have some very sexy S-class bikes listed in £ in their 2016 range price list. Unfortunately we are not allowed to sell these bikes in the UK.
KudosDave
We've got them in the pricelist and brochure, because we can sell them. There is nothing illegal about selling them, and our dealers can sell them.

We've actually had quite a few dealers try to order them. However due to the liability passing up the supply chain should one of these bikes be involved in an accident - we have one rule that must be adhered to before we sell one of these bikes in the UK.

The rule is, the customer must be able to prove they can use the bike legally.

So far we've not been able to sell a single one.

Last edited: