Turbo levo or Cube Reaction 500

Paddi

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 3, 2017
Scotland
Hi,

well after last nights football result i wont be going to Russia... but on the plus side it has now freed up the funds to get myself a new bike .. but i'm stuck between the Turbo levo 29HT (2018) and the cube-reaction-race-500 (2018).. i would rather buy close to home so if any problems its not a chore to get in and get them fixed, so looking at Dales in glasgow ...

while looking i have always fancied the Levo with the Brose motor, but the new cube reaction looks really nice as well and i'm just not sure which one to go for

i'll be using it for work mostly, about a 5mile journey each way nothing to difficult (just wind), and then mainly for longer runs at weekends with my wife (she will use the E-mtb till we get her one)

i'll probably only do trail runs about once a month,,

so im really just looking for any feedback from any owners if possible , i know the Cube is relatively new
thanks

Paddi

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire
There's quite a few of us on here now, who have the 2018 Cube Reaction Race 500, and I don't think I've heard anybody regretting it yet. I've not even heard of the other one you are thinking about. I wanted to stay mainstream so got the Cube, and it's fab :)

Reactions: Paddi

gwing3

Oct 5, 2017
Chilterns, UK
Hi,

so im really just looking for any feedback from any owners if possible , i know the Cube is relatively new
thanks

Paddi
I managed to get one of the last 2017 Reaction 500 SL's which are very similar to the 2018 Race and it's a really nice bike to ride. Unbelievable hill climbing power.

And one of the 2018 Cube's on its way for the missus as well so you can tell what we think of them. She only has to wait another 2 weeks or so for her size to come off the production line :)

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
The Brose motor has had issues and they are documented on this forum,the Bosch CX motor is almost bulletproof but let down by poor battery range if you use the turbo mode,500wh is not enough.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Picked up my 2018 Cube Reaction Race 500 today. It really is lovely bike. I will also be using it to commute, much like yourself, and my journey is also about 5 miles. I reckon this bike will be perfect for that, and for any off roading I might want to do as well.

Paddi

Oct 3, 2017
Scotland
thanks for all the feedback, i had read a few things about the Brose motor and was hoping they sorted it out with the new version, i think my initial attraction was the downtube integration of the battery and motor on the Bulls & rotwild models, but now some of the others have got similar design the options are looking much better ... but its looking like the cube is out front, they have some great pricing as well , even thinking about the Acid for my wife as its pretty cheap also ...might book a wee test hire for the week and take it from there...

Bear does it have any Power outlets for lights etc...?

Pylon37

Aug 2, 2017
Glasgow
I got my Cube Reaction from Dales in the summer - delighted with the bike and Dales would always be my first choice bike shop so really happy overall.

Rutland Cycling

Trade Member
Sep 5, 2017
Rutland
thanks for all the feedback, i had read a few things about the Brose motor and was hoping they sorted it out with the new version, i think my initial attraction was the downtube integration of the battery and motor on the Bulls & rotwild models, but now some of the others have got similar design the options are looking much better ... but its looking like the cube is out front, they have some great pricing as well , even thinking about the Acid for my wife as its pretty cheap also ...might book a wee test hire for the week and take it from there...

Bear does it have any Power outlets for lights etc...?
Morning Paddi,

The Cube's run on a Bosch motor - which has 2 plugs for cables to be fitted for lights to run off battery power. The cables are roughly £9 each, and for a hardtail without a pannier rack you'll need the saddle mount for the light (£8) and a fork crown/handlebar bracket.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
Morning Paddi,

The Cube's run on a Bosch motor - which has 2 plugs for cables to be fitted for lights to run off battery power. The cables are roughly £9 each, and for a hardtail without a pannier rack you'll need the saddle mount for the light (£8) and a fork crown/handlebar bracket.
I didn’t realise. Where are the connections please, are they in the motor itself? And do you have the part numbers as I’d like to order some. Thanks.

Rutland Cycling

Trade Member
Sep 5, 2017
Rutland
I didn’t realise. Where are the connections please, are they in the motor itself? And do you have the part numbers as I’d like to order some. Thanks.
If you take the non-driveside motor cover off - you'll find all the plugs there.

If you give us a call on 01572 737624 - we'll be able to pull up all of the codes for you.

Attachments

Reactions: The Bear and Paddi

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
If consisting ebike for wife as well then get both bikes with same battery that way you will access to spare.

I've no experience of Levos but they tend to be overpriced compared to Cubes. All you need to do is compare component specs. Cubes use mainly Shimano components which are easy to come by and cheap online.

As for drives they both have good and bad points, don't think there is much in it when it comes to reliability.

Paddi

Oct 3, 2017
Scotland
yeah think it's definitely the Cube im going for , and will most likely get my wife a cube as well , might not be same spec or model , never thought of the access to the other battery before .. nice one

Paddi

Oct 3, 2017
Scotland
well looks like i need to wait till xmas stock comes in dales for the Cube , they wont have any of the race 500 untill then ... so just need to wait a bit longer

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
well looks like i need to wait till xmas stock comes in dales for the Cube , they wont have any of the race 500 untill then ... so just need to wait a bit longer
Depends on what colour and size you want I guess? I was lucky that there was a black 23” in stock for my lbs to order. However I really wanted red, but was told I would have to wait until Feb 2018.

Paddi

Oct 3, 2017
Scotland
I've not been in yet to get sized up , they mentioned a 19" for my height but i think that might be small for me ... they don't have any in stock and wont till mid December so it mill be manual pedal power for me till then lol ... but im looking forward to getting it

Rutland Cycling

Trade Member
Sep 5, 2017
Rutland

Paddi

Oct 3, 2017
Scotland
Luke, i noticed you have a place near Cambridge , i'm actually coming down , at the November ( niece has jockey trials at newmarket) , so may well pop in , to be honest im looking to purchase nearer to home , just incase i have any issues with anything ...