Two second hand tooth brushes for sale-lets get to the root of this!

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Hi All,

About 10pm last night i was riding on my way home when i heard a very loud sound approaching me from behind, it sounded like a modified lawn mower,(If you catch my drift). By the time i had glanced over my right shoulder this man had shot right pass me, he was at least traveling well over 22mph up a very slight grade. Suddenly i had to hold in my breath for a few seconds because of the light exhaust fumes the bike was giving off, the rear light could have also been replaced with a new set of batteries for better visibility.
The question is, do you think that this guy that had zoomed pass me also without wearing a helmet was riding a motorized bicycle ? This has been the first time for me to see one in action.
What is the situation in terms of the law with these bikes? Is it classified as an illegal bicycle being that it is powered by petrol? Even if it was legal i still wouldn't buy one, maybe if it was given to me yes:eek:

Mountainsport I LOVE YOU ALL XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

50 Hertz

Pedelecer
Mar 6, 2013
Hi All,

About 10pm last night i was riding on my way home when i heard a very loud sound approaching me from behind, it sounded like a modified lawn mower,(If you catch my drift). By the time i had glanced over my right shoulder this man had shot right pass me, he was at least traveling well over 22mph up a very slight grade. Suddenly i had to hold in my breath for a few seconds because of the light exhaust fumes the bike was giving off, the rear light could have also been replaced with a new set of batteries for better visibility.
The question is, do you think that this guy that had zoomed pass me also without wearing a helmet was riding a motorized bicycle ? This has been the first time for me to see one in action.
What is the situation in terms of the law with these bikes? Is it classified as an illegal bicycle being that it is powered by petrol? Even if it was legal i still wouldn't buy one, maybe if it was given to me yes:eek:

Mountainsport I LOVE YOU ALL XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

It could have been one of these

If it was, it would almost certainly be illegal and the rider would be committing all of the offences which are well documented in other threads on here.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, they are illegal unless registered, plated, insured etc. There are historic ones in use still with enthusiasts which retain their original registration as motorcycles.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Yeah, there's one that goes past me most mornings on the way to work. No one seems to be bothered about it. Or maybe more to the point there aren't any Police around to be able to do something about it.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Which is probably why he waits 'til night-time to bring it out.

Main problem with these is it's a bit of a faff grinding the coal fine enough to burn evenly...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Main problem with these is it's a bit of a faff grinding the coal fine enough to burn evenly...
Not really joking, since with the old ones and maybe the new, there was the trouble of making up the petrol and oil mixture to lubricate them. Usually about 25 parts petrol to 1 of oil, it needed to be very thoroughly mixed to avoid blocked carburettor jets and smoky exhaust. Battery charging is so much easier!

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
It could have been one of these

If it was, it would almost certainly be illegal and the rider would be committing all of the offences which are well documented in other threads on here.
Good Afternoon 50 Hertz how are you ? Firstly, i am shock because of the price, i had imagined it would have been in the region of at least £600 including the bike. Although illegal 50 miles to the gallon is not too bad either. Do you know the top speed of an 80cc engine? Also are they good on hills?

Mountainsport

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Not really joking, since with the old ones and maybe the new, there was the trouble of making up the petrol and oil mixture to lubricate them. Usually about 25 parts petrol to 1 of oil, it needed to be very thoroughly mixed to avoid blocked carburettor jets and smoky exhaust. Battery charging is so much easier!
And more electrifying flecc!!!

Mountainsport

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Yup, they are pretty good on the hills - the engines are rated @ 2200 watts.