Two stolen KTM Machinas

barrycoll

Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2009
Wife and I cycled into London Town this afternoon, and securely chained 2 KTM Machinas to dedicated railings
We used one Arbus Granit D Lock plus cable for front wheel and one very chunky cable, plus front wheel extension.
One hour later, both stolen, and locks left unbelievably on the ground .

‘Fortunately’ (ha-ha) CCTV footage shows the bloke stealing the bikes, seemingly picking both locks, as both were undamaged, then riding one and steering the other bike away.

How on earth can a person pick a top quality D lock in 5 minutes??????

One Machina is KTM white/orange/grey, with battery locked on but no charger or control unit.
Chunky tyres replaced with 32 mm road tyres but with silver mudguards and pannier rack

The wife’s is (was) a Trekking in Grey/black/ slight orange, but with battery fitted, and control unit also in place as it was dodgy getting it working if removed.........no charger as all at home

Any ideas where these might end up, or if seen advertised PLEASE phone Barry on 0208 340 5350
Or barrycollins2@gmail.com would be wonderful

Five minutes and £3.5k down the drain, as only insured for basic as always chained “securely”

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Likewise so sorry to hear this, I use the same lock, I'm lead to believe picking is rare.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Really sorry to hear this, you took reasonable precautions so I think you were extremely unlucky. Regarding picking locks, I remember many years ago a mate of mine began an apprenticeship as a lock smith. He told me that his boss who had been in the trade for donkeys years could open any lock, no matter how expensive provide it opened with a key. Although this was many years ago, I doubt lock technology has moved on all that much. So if a lock can be opened by a key, there are bound to be people around who can pick it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Steve7691

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Been in security industry for many years lock picking is no longer a dark art
, if it looks like most front door keys a battery pick gun can be used [now openly sold on ebay/amazon] if it is rated sold secure it only needs to resist this but if it is pick proof the angle grinder will win in the end

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I dont own a gold std lock because I refuse to leave my bikes anywhere out of sight so its not needed. Its a sad state of affairs cos it means I cant just nip to the local late store for a beer on my bike and am forced to use the car.

• Agree
Reactions: Artstu

Muddy

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
That’s horrible for you, sorry to hear that
I left mine for the first time outside Tesco yesterday and never went round so quick.
Had a pint last week with it chained to railings outside pub but never left me gaze. Mines is covered by house insurance ( as an extra ) but not sure what they require for it to be covered yet. Wife only done it recently and not got details yet
My heart goes out to you

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
Things such as this make me very reluctant to use my (new to me) Quartz folder because if it were stolen I’m stuck through not being able to walk more than about 30 feet before collapse through lack of breath at 81.

It makes me feel so sick of the world!

Jim

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and Artstu