Tyre pressures!!!

stranger

Pedelecer
Feb 7, 2009
New Forest. Hants.
Peering knowledgeably at the Powabyke tyres this morning, (my husband usually deals with such things for me but he is away for a day or two) I was amazed to discover that the recommended pressure (on the tyre itself) was

65psi. :eek:

Surely not!

I am scared to try to blow them up to that in case they go 'BANG'.

I chickened out at 40.

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
65 sounds about right, the pressure for my Wisper is the same :)

Some tyres can take up to 120psi:eek: These are usually found on road bikes with ultra skinny wheels.

You'll find that the bike will roll with alot less resistance, and that your battery will last longer, if you brave the recommended psi.

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
High pressure can also make the wheel stronger as well as a little quicker and less prone to punctures, it will be less comfortable though.
I use 559-60 tyres at 70psi, if you do get a blowout it will be because something isn't working properly or you have ridden across a police stinger.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
I keep mine at 80, and re-inflate them every 2 weeks -ish

John

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
55 psi on my Cougar Mountain Electric bike
65 psi on my none-electric Mountain bike
28 psi on my Kawasaki VN800 motorcycle
60 psi on my 3.3 ton Talbot Campervan :eek:
It's a mystery to me how they work them out :confused:

-----------------------------------------------
Cougar Mountain Electric Bike 36v 200w Hub motor (Jul07)
fitted with 10 Ah LiFePo4 battery (Apr08)
Maximum range (road/hills - Cornwall) 18 miles
Maximum range (on flat) 25 miles

prState

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
Generally, (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong) tyres under load are usually recommended for higher pressures. If you consider that most electrics are heavier anyway, and plus when we carry extra stuff, staying on the high side probably keeps you in better shape anyway.

But yeah, it can be a rougher ride.

And oh, man if you've ever let your front tire get too low, and then try to take a sudden turn -- surprise! :eek:

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Thats the way I understand it too. If your tyres say 60 - 80 PSI, then a 75Kg person (expected human weight in bike designs) should be at 70 PSI for optimum tyre performance.

So if your over 75Kg, you should be in the upper pressure (say 80 PSI) to stop deformation of the tyre on road, and visa versa if your lighter than 75Kg.

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But tyre size (air volume) is a very big factor in pressures.

Skinny race bicycle tyre circa 120 lbs

Road bike like John's say 80 lbs

Utility shopping bike maybe 60 lbs

Car tyre circa 29 lbs

Etc

Larger tyre pressures start rising again with load, e.g. truck and bus, but fall again with high load balloon tyres, JCB rear tyres etc.

There's a balance between the two factors, tyre size and load.

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
It should also be noted that running with too low a pressure may increase tyre wear. I keep mine at the max but that has more to do with my rather portley frame :)

stranger

Pedelecer
Feb 7, 2009
New Forest. Hants.
And oh, man if you've ever let your front tire get too low, and then try to take a sudden turn -- surprise! :eek:
I think I might have made that mistake once. Tried a nifty turn at the mini-roundabout and the damn thing shied violently and we both ended up in a heap in the road.

Luckily there was no-one coming at speed. ;)

So I need to get some more air in there do I?

The Powabyke tyres are quite podgy (as I daresay you all know). Not at all like the ultra-thin ones on the husbands 'real bike'. Now they really do 'pump up well'. And, come to think of it--THEY don't go bang.

I will be brave with the compressor tomorrow.

Charlie

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2007
Does anyone know if the pressure reading of the gauge is altered if the weight is taken of the wheels?
For a motorcycle that has a lot more weight, should you check the tyre pressure on the side stand, with the weight of bike on the tyres, or on the centre stand with all weight removed?

Just curious really.

Charlie.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It won't make any difference Charlie. Any compression of the tyre surface will be compensated by the expansion of the sidewalls outwards, the volume, and therefore the pressure inside remaining the same.