Tyres?

squimlet

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 14, 2011
I have some rather slick tyres on my giant twist express. Now I mean slick as in I find them a bit slippery and not grippy enough for my waftiness. I dont feel like I am planted in the same way as my ordinary bike. I guess that is to be expected though as they were more off road tyres.
Would it be possible to change the existing tyres for more off road type ones without losing out to much to economy etc etc. Sorry for the potentially stupid question but I am genuinely a bit foxed.
TIA

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No question needing an answer is stupid squimlet, ask away whenever you need to. The Kenda Khan is described as a semi-slick good road tyre, but I've seen one poster describe it as having semi-aggressive side knobs. Here's the tread pic for others to see:

My guess is that you may find it a bit unsettled when leaning slightly into corners, if so a change will help. The size on your bike is 700c x 35, a common one and there's plenty of choice. My personal preference is one of the Schwalbe range, expensive but good. Their Marathon Plus is very puncture resistant but not so comfortable to ride. The plain Marathon is a good all-rounder, while their Big Apple tyre is extremely comfortable, often called as good as a suspension system The Marathons come with various tread profiles, and for stability a fairly smooth slick tyre tread is best, knobbly bits at the sides tending to make for less on-road stability in corners. Try the Tour link on the left in this website.

Hopefully others will come in with their recommendations as well.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I've just switched from 700x35c MPs to Continental Top Contact tyres (700x37) on my Peugeot in an effort to reduce rolling resistance and weight.

The MP's are great at puncture protection buy the ride is certainly hard and rolling resistance not the best. I have the CTC on my Kalkhoff and they impressed me, however, they are not cheap costing twice as much as the MP's......but they do roll better and save me 300g per wheel....OK not much but its felt when riding unassisted.

I also considered the Schwalbe Dureme tyres, same price as the CTC but they where a touch heavier.....Oh even though the expense was high they do come with a "FREE" :rolleyes: inner tube :D

squimlet

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 14, 2011
I had a peek at the site and really like the look of the marathon cross. Would love the marathon extreme but fear that this might not suit the bike etc.

Trevor Holloway

Pedelecer
May 4, 2010
Just looked those up, my guess is that they have got the tyre pressure units wrong !
Surely the recommended pressure of 3.0 - 4.0 psi should be 3.0 - 4.0 barg.

garrence

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2010
Schwalbe Extreme offers a good balance of puncture resistance, rolling speed, off-road grip and weight.