UCR30 - scrapping noise

Darren Hayward

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2015
I've emailed EBCO as no one seems to answer their technical support number but I wondered if anyone on here might have any advice?

When the motor is working there are no problems. Once the power shuts off there is a slight scrapping noise for a few seconds. I've removed the wheel and given it a shake and nothing rattles inside. I hesitate to take the motor apart without knowing at least something about what it might be. Looking at the video's on YouTube the only moving parts are the orbital gears. Should I buy a new set just in case?

Thanks

Darren

D

Deleted member 4366

Don't buy anything until you know what's causing it. The gears are engaged all the time whether freewheeling or not, so there's nothing to suggest that there's anything wrong with them. The only thing that changes is the clutch, but that's probably a sealed unserviceable unit. I can't say until I see it.

If the noise is bad enough to cause you to worry, open the motor and take some photos of what's inside.

Darren Hayward

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2015
Well its all apart now and there is absolutely nothing to see. All the gears are intact and turn freely. The flat circular bit with the 3 cogs on goes one way and not the other (I presume that's the clutch) . There is nothing loose, there isn't a mark anywhere so nothing is rubbing. Right now I can only think re-greasing and putting back together to try it is the way to go.

Any thoughts anyone?

One minor point, the big rubber/plastic seal has welded itself to the main hub for about a quarter of its circumference. I presume this is better being refitted by being on the motor assembly. Is this an issue?

Darren

Darren Hayward

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2015
I just tried to set up a Photobucket account (succeeded) and upload 12 pictures (failed). If I can get it to work I'll update with photo's.

Darren