UK Made Bike Products

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Just got our latest batch of Squire d locks. Previous models were made in the UK however it appears this is no longer the case. Just made me think what a shame we have such a limited amount of UK bicycle manufacturing either complete bikes (only Pashley, Brompton and a number of bespoke frame builders which I am aware of) or bicycle products. We will be getting some chain locks from Pragmasis which unless things have changed still made in the UK. I think it is possible for the UK to compete at the premium range in manufacturing I say this based on a previous role which involved meeting lots of companies which manufactured in the UK. Alot of manufacturing and engineering requires generic skills which are relevant to different industries. Looking forward to seeing a high quality UK made electric bike ;)

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Family LIKE environment
[video=youtube;bahY4dPJzWE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bahY4dPJzWE#at=45[/video]

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If Germany can, and they do, we can.

Unfortunately though, unlike Germany, we've lost most of our past expertise since the early 1980s, thanks to you-know-who. Most of the skilled from then are retired and we've been training hardly any to take their places. Even the few we've been training often find working elsewhere in the world far more rewarding, both financially and environmentally.

And it's not just in design and engineering. We train large numbers of doctors, only for them to decamp to places like Australia for the climate and generally better life out there. Meanwhile we import our own doctors from the Indian sub-continent!

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Still quite a few companies with the skills, I would say bigh issue is probably capacity and funding to break in to new industries. With investment this could provide jobs and enable us to export to other markets as well.

This is particularly true in energy industry amongst others. I was told that the Smart E Bike frame was actually made in the UK. Although their are some components which we would have difficulty to make I would say the frame is possible perhaps combined with assembly of other components from elsewhere. If the motor and battery could be made in the UK then that would be brilliant. We have alot of small manufacturing firms (except the obvious big players like Rolls Royce) which does make it more of a challenge.

Probably a big ask but not impossible :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Probably a big ask but not impossible
Certainly not impossible, but very difficult for our tiny companies, compared to giants like Bosch and others joining in like Siemens.

Our companies that still have the skills are mostly occupied with their own safer niches, and probably not interested in the risks of an e-bike market which is tiny in the UK. It's an old adage that a healthy home market is a prerequisite for success in any manufacturing field.

AlMel

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2013
Essonne, France
I agree.

In addition, companies need a wider supportive culture in which to flourish.

Ever since the war (the 2nd world war, for younger members!), most British investors have expected payback in less than three years. Most business people have been brought up in this culture. Bonus structures (certainly not just in banking) heavily encourage short term returns.

British companies invest less in training and development than their most advanced competitors, which is unfortunate as colleges turn out fewer engineers. When a project requires complex planning skills or high level technical skills, they often (in fact, I’d say usually) have to be hired from abroad.

Anyway, that’s just my impression over decades as an HR Director in multinationals.