Ultimate bike camper?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I swear I got bitten by a grass snake (not an Adder) lost in woods trying to find an alternative route. The golf bunch can't stop me using the road through their course, because they've built it on a nature reserve.
Grass snakes hunt in water, so you find them anywhere close nearby. If you were right next to water, it could have been one, but not likely if you were in the middle of woods or a field.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Grass snakes hunt in water, so you find them anywhere close nearby. If you were right next to water, it could have been one, but not likely if you were in the middle of woods or a field.
I think you're very unlikely to get bitten by a grass snake. They avoid any kind of confrontation and if they feel threatened, they squirt an absolutely foul smelling liquid at you. And I mean, FOUL. It is so bad, it gets into your head and days later you still think you can smell it. We used to get them stuck in the netting on the peas in the garden. They would hiss a bit when you tried to cut them free, but would never bite and if you were unlucky, they would squirt you.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
This guy was doing it hardcore. He went all round the world wild camping with his cat and no electric motor. He's now got an easier life with a VW camper van, thanks to his subscribers.

Reactions: guerney

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I think you're very unlikely to get bitten by a grass snake. They avoid any kind of confrontation and if they feel threatened, they squirt an absolutely foul smelling liquid at you. And I mean, FOUL. It is so bad, it gets into your head and days later you still think you can smell it. We used to get them stuck in the netting on the peas in the garden. They would hiss a bit when you tried to cut them free, but would never bite and if you were unlucky, they would squirt you.
They bite if you pick them up the wrong way. I was a champion reptile hunter when I was 11 years old. I took a few adders to school. One time, I had a very small one about 8" long. It was quite docile and easy to handle; however a kid tried to grab it and it turned its head and sort of bit him. It left a scratch on his knuckle. I was worried that he was going to die.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Trying to find the source of the nile an alternative towing route through deep jungle woods, I found myself pushing my bike through dense nettles, long grass, over tree roots and holes... which wouldn't have been problematic for a number of reasons, if I hadn't decided to wear cargo shorts - I was sexually harassed verbally all day while cycling, by women of all ages shouting "Woo!", and "Nice legs!" etc. It was so dehumanising being made to feel like a sex object, just a piece of meat. I feared not being believed by the police, and then something bit me. It wasn't a woman, the two identical small round puncture wounds about a couple of centimeters apart were too small. The wound didn't blacken and go gangrenous, cause my leg to rot off. Perhaps some snake or other ran out of venom, having depleted it's reserves on other legs that day? I should have uploaded a disgusting photo.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Trying to find the source of the nile an alternative towing route through deep jungle woods, I found myself pushing my bike through dense nettles, long grass, over tree roots and holes... which wouldn't have been problematic for a number of reasons, if I hadn't decided to wear cargo shorts - I was sexually harassed verbally all day while cycling, by women of all ages shouting "Woo!", and "Nice legs!" etc. It was so dehumanising being made to feel like a sex object, just a piece of meat. I feared not being believed by the police, and then something bit me. It wasn't a woman, the two identical small round puncture wounds about a couple of centimeters apart were too small. The wound didn't blacken and go gangrenous, cause my leg to rot off. Perhaps some snake or other ran out of venom, having depleted it's reserves on other legs that day? I should have uploaded a disgusting photo.
Well if it was a snake, it would have been an adder as Dave said earlier, not a grass snake. However, I imagine the amount of noise you would have been making would have scared off any snake. Could it have been thorns on a branch and a couple of thorns got you?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Well if it was a snake, it would have been an adder as Dave said earlier, not a grass snake. However, I imagine the amount of noise you would have been making would have scared off any snake. Could it have been thorns on a branch and a couple of thorns got you?
No idea. The two round punctures were identical, same depth, looked like a bite. Whatever caused them, there are no lasting effects... apart from my habitually wearing those cargo shorts all the time cycling.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Grass snakes don't have fangs, so can't leave puncture wounds. That leaves adder, mammal or plant. Adders only inject venom in 30% of bites, so it could have been, though I'd expect to see infection afterwards.

I was helping someone clear out their garden, when I got bitten by a spider. My foot swelled up a lot and I had to go to the doctor. I didn't know I had been bitten until the doctor pointed out the two puncture marks on my ankle, which was the centre of the swelling.

I've been bitten by them before twice. The first time was when I was chucking one out the back door. As I opened the door, it escaped and ran up my arm, so I cupped my hand over it, then felt a nip. The other time, I was asleep with my hands behind my head somehow, when the unprovoked nip on my arm woke me up. I knew I had been bitten, but it was dark, then I heard the noise of the spider running over the pillow, so I switched the light on and there it was sitting on the wall above the headboard. She got splattered by the pillow. In both cases, the bite came up in a big itchy lump that lasted about 2 weeks. Now I can't sleep if I see a spider in the bedroom. Anywhere else, I normally leave them alone, and sometimes huck them out.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Grass snakes don't have fangs, so can't leave puncture wounds. That leaves adder, mammal or plant. Adders only inject venom in 30% of bites, so it could have been, though I'd expect to see infection afterwards.
It was a hot dry day, the wound got a lot of air and dried. I washed it out with 90% isopropyl when I eventually made it home, as I always do with all skin leaks, because I don't have Rambo's gunpowder to ignite and cauterise. I should carry around matches to ignite and drive into open wounds instead, as I saw detailed in this more current action flick recently. I give it 6.5/10, because I like the odd actioner, and it's a bit odder than many actioners:

I was helping someone clear out their garden, when I got bitten by a spider. My foot swelled up a lot and I had to go to the doctor. I didn't know I had been bitten until the doctor pointed out the two puncture marks on my ankle, which was the centre of the swelling.

I've been bitten by them before twice. The first time was when I was chucking one out the back door. As I opened the door, it escaped and ran up my arm, so I cupped my hand over it, then felt a nip. The other time, I was asleep with my hands behind my head somehow, when the unprovoked nip on my arm woke me up. I knew I had been bitten, but it was dark, then I heard the noise of the spider running over the pillow, so I switched the light on and there it was sitting on the wall above the headboard. She got splattered by the pillow. In both cases, the bite came up in a big itchy lump that lasted about 2 weeks. Now I can't sleep if I see a spider in the bedroom. Anywhere else, I normally leave them alone, and sometimes huck them out.
Are Waitrose still importing venomous spiders with their grapes?

Grass snakes don't have fangs, so can't leave puncture wounds. That leaves adder, mammal or plant.
Gawd's I hope it wasn't a rat! Weil's disease is very nasty - I've known two people who got infected, both spent a lot of time mucking about on canals.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
61kg. Could be made lower and lighter, with a VW camper style expanding roof.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I think the way to go would be to have it longer, but lower and have the roof raise up when needed.
It could start shorter and do the the same.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
61kg. Could be made lower and lighter, with a VW camper style expanding roof.

Better, but he still couldn't resist some bloat. I think he could have made it a lot lighter than that. Worries me the amount of weight on a hitch designed to handle much less.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Better, but he still couldn't resist some bloat. I think he could have made it a lot lighter than that. Worries me the amount of weight on a hitch designed to handle much less.
Axles too - the manual for my Carry Freedom Small Y states for QR axles, no more than 50kg. The Large Y limit is 90kg, but not for QR axles. The manual for my Homcom folding trailer quotes a 45kg limit. The HomCom is a better candidate to experiment with, it's weight capacity is much higher than that. My QR axle was pulled out while carrying about 90kg (happened on a road through a golf course, bemused golfers got onto their phones when I started emptying the water bottles I was hauling over the road). Trouble is I can't stand camping these days.