Unfit, overweight, bad knees, no hair but own teeth!

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
There is a difference between turning the pedals and pushing on the pedals. I have rugby knees myself but am fortunate in that they only go bad when the weather turns to freezing (hence my migration further and further south...).

Last week I went to Hendaye to a RDV with my girlfriend and as the weather wasn't too hot (21 C ish) and the battery was fully charged as a test I went dressed for a town outing not in my usual riding gear. An 11 km ride with a 4.8 km climb I just turned the pedals at a regular cadence in 3rd or 4th gear, assist 5 most of the climb and didn't even break a sweat. My PAS works great and the motor was giving a steady 400 Watts all the way up according to the LCD. Instead of my usual maxed out 25-26 kph the climb was at between 19 and 21 kph dropping to 16 kph at the steepest point.
Are you saying that you climbed 4800m in 11000m? That's 44%.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Nope, I said that there is a climb 4.8 km long in my usual 11 km ride to Hendaye. The slope is 4% average on the way there and there are bits which are 5% average on the way back. The road profile for that ride is in my kit review thread.

rippedupno1

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Dudley,west midlands
The Mosso that d8veh linked to doesn't require any peddling at all when using the throttle ( I have one ) and will do any hill you like on throttle only without peddling if you so wish.

rsyme

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2013
Co.Wexford, Ireland
Hi,
I have had 6 knee operations over the years - all cartiledges, crutiates and a severed quads tendon, so not great knees!!!! I too was well overweight and on blood pressure pills - I was 60 yo. Any damp cold day, I took a half hour or so for my knees to get going.
My surgeon recommended I get an e-bike. I originally got a Kalkhoff impulse which I changed for a Haibike sDuro cross subsequently and can truthfully say that my health is changed beyond all my hopes. Where I live is hilly, very hilly! I live 5 miles from nearest town. 2 years later I have shed almost 3 stone, have got rid of the pills and my knees are transformed - no morning stiffness/pain and I can go up and down long flights of stairs or hills easily.

So don't get a bike to sit on and not pedal, get a pedelec and start with just a short distance on high power and build up. There is little need to put your knees under pressure at all with a good quality pedelec. Do check out which you can actually cycle NOW - you can then begin the process of changing your situation and staving off the replacement scenario !!!!!

Best of luck

Robbie Syme

cogburn

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 2, 2015
That's the sort of scenario I find myself in. I want to shed some weight by very mild exercise. It's not that I don't want not to pedal but not pedal under strain & have the option not to pedal when I simply can't.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have lost 4 kg in the two months / 875 kilometres that my bike has been on the road. With riding style between putting in lots of effort (because I can) to very little effort because need to go somewhere and be fresh as a daisy when I get there.

Pedelec = best thing since the baguette (don't get me started on sliced bread...)