Unknown central crank motor bike

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
Ive just had a stock take.In the dust filled back room I have found a bike that I have not seen before.I think my ex business partner has brough it over as a sample.Its a mountain bike with a central motor that has iTOPASIA writen on it.Ive searched by can not find where it came from.Any idea?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm not usually stumped, but it's a new one for me. Does it have a one off look about it, since I know the odd Chinese company were considering introducing a chain drive system?

Alternatively, could it be a Cyclone variant, one or two companies have done this under other names?

A photo of the motor area might help.

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
I'm not usually stumped, but it's a new one for me. Does it have a one off look about it, since I know the odd Chinese company were considering introducing a chain drive system?

Alternatively, could it be a Cyclone variant, one or two companies have done this under other names?

A photo of the motor area might help.
My business partner ( we've fallen out ) was working with a Chinese manufacturer . It looks pretty good ,its powerful under throttle only .Not a one off I dont think.I'll try to send you a photo by email .Sorry to be thick ,chain drive ? On the right hand side the chain runs over and under two cogs after the main chainset.Is this what you mean?

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My business partner ( we've fallen out ) was working with a Chinese manufacturer . It looks pretty good ,its powerful under throttle only .Not a one off I dont think.I'll try to send you a photo by email .Sorry to be thick ,chain drive ? On the right hand side the chain runs over and under two cogs after the main chainset.Is this what you mean?
Yes, that's a chain drive system. I'm a bit hesitant about using crank drive as a name for these since there are true crank drive ones where the motor drives the pedal shaft, the chainwheel having a freewheel inside it. That twin cog after the chainring sounds a bit like the Cyclone system, also throttle controlled.

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
The motor is quite noisy due the the chain system.Do you have any experience/knowledge good or bad of this type ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That noise again makes it sound like a Cyclone. There's nothing wrong with this type in principle, indeed I think drive through the chain best in many ways and potentially more efficient. Implementation varies greatly though, varying from high quality as in Panasonic and Sunstar to rather iffy quality as in Cyclone. The best chain drive systems to date have all been pedelec controlled with no throttle, probably due to the example set by Panasonic for a decade now, since there's no reason why a throttle controlled one couldn't work well.

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
That noise again makes it sound like a Cyclone. There's nothing wrong with this type in principle, indeed I think drive through the chain best in many ways and potentially more efficient. Implementation varies greatly though, varying from high quality as in Panasonic and Sunstar to rather iffy quality as in Cyclone. The best chain drive systems to date have all been pedelec controlled with no throttle, probably due to the example set by Panasonic for a decade now, since there's no reason why a throttle controlled one couldn't work well.
Ive checked the Cyclone site and it looks similar.Cyclone are based in America ,maybe this is their manufacturer in China trying to go it alone? I know the rest of the bike is bought in for them to fit this motor.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's just a branch in the USA, Cyclone are based in Taiwan. The chap calling himself Paco there is actually Ping-Yueh Lin. Full details on the contact page of this site:

Cyclone Taiwan