Aug 17, 2006

Reviewer: Jonathan Lord

Purchased From: Honeyfield Trailer Centre

Purchase Price: £750

Time Owned: 1 Month

Local Terrain: Some Minor Hills

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Strengths:
*** Perfect for my 7 mile round trip commute in Bristol. Maintaining 14mph average speed.
*** Really comfortable to ride, though riding position may not be so good for larger persons.
*** Very Stylish (in my opinion).
*** Excellent torque pulling away from stop and up hills.

Weaknesses:
Issues as follows, mostly minor, though brakes is annoying and sensor failure disappointing.
*** Brakes squeak badly after initial rim surface removed. Have fitted new brake blocks toed in 1mm. Still some squeak, seems to be a rim problem. Also front rim join not smooth creating once per rev jerk on heavy braking.
*** Rubber brake cable boot between vee brake arms is far too thick and incompressible by brakes, had to shorten it.
*** As of 22/12/06 pedelec sensor (optical) has apparently gone and awaiting replacement under guarantee.
*** Heel catches on key head in battery, shortened key head to fix.
*** Rubber covers for ends of rear axle will not stay on. Rubber is too hard and just splits after a couple of fix attempts.
*** They need to fit a handle bar swtich to cut off power, so that you can be under full control when manouvering at slow speed. Suggestion of UM to apply brakes gently which swithes off power, is not ideal
*** Could use bigger chain ring on front, though torque sensor version, which I do not have, has 48 vs 42 teeth, I think. This said, you would looks on the low gear for a steep hill.

Summary:
Recommended

Overall Rating (out of 10) : 8

Hello Jonathan,

among other options I am evaluating a UM36x here in Graubuenden/Switzerland. Steep terrain, I use the bike between two villages as it shortens a car drive to about 60% and I do it in 1/2 hr with ease.

Recently Swiss TV, a consumer magazine and 'Velojournal' reported on a test done by engineers at a university lab in Biel/Bienne. Sez one of the journals: UM44 deserves better bike components. It sounded like: We like it, but you get what you pay for. The leading contenders cost easily 1000 francs more. But all I do is a return trip, shy of 15 km, not 10 Miles. a total of less than 300 m level difference (going/returning) and a trial run allowed me to do that on one charge.

I'd be interested to hear of further experiences you made with the UM36.

Thanks and greetings from the hillside -- RM

Beanie101

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2008
Verbier, Switzerland
Hello Jonathan,

among other options I am evaluating a UM36x here in Graubuenden/Switzerland. Steep terrain, I use the bike between two villages as it shortens a car drive to about 60% and I do it in 1/2 hr with ease.

Recently Swiss TV, a consumer magazine and 'Velojournal' reported on a test done by engineers at a university lab in Biel/Bienne. Sez one of the journals: UM44 deserves better bike components. It sounded like: We like it, but you get what you pay for. The leading contenders cost easily 1000 francs more. But all I do is a return trip, shy of 15 km, not 10 Miles. a total of less than 300 m level difference (going/returning) and a trial run allowed me to do that on one charge.

I'd be interested to hear of further experiences you made with the UM36.

Thanks and greetings from the hillside -- RM
Hello Hillside

I recently tried the UM36 in the Alps and didn't think that its climbing ability was good enough. I posted a review on the main forum page UM36 first impressions. For a bit more, you could get a second hand Flyer. Try their website (in German), where there are usually 5 to 10 of them advertised 2nd hand Flyers.

Last edited:
Thanks for your opinion, Beanie101.
I tested in all four bikes climbing from Ilanz to Ruschein (13% grades). Front wheel drives are not as good as rear wheel drives. Tested two of those:
The Wattworld top model is ok on pavement but on steep gravel paths it feels uncertain especially when wet.
The interesting Smike (quickly turned into an ebike with sidecar) is quite heavy and had problems maintaining motor support.
Rearwheelers: The UM36 offers not very good gearing and its parts (brakes and more) are not of the quality a Flyer offers.
Flyer is clearly the best among test bikes. Climbed with ease also from Ilanz to Flond on the old loose surface road. - A Flyer S as I'd like it takes currently 6 week to delivery. Checked the used offerings; mostly F types. May order a new Flyer S for next May. Greetings from (the) hillside

Hi Gents,

Its interesting reading your thread. My I first say that we are introducing a new control panel (all bikes built from April onwards) which will allow the user to turn the bike off or to 50% power from the handlebars, which should eliminate your issues of low speed maneuvers.

We have also just launch the UM36 with a 36V Li-ion Panasonic battery which give significantly increased levels of torque. This should make your hill climbing a doddle in the alps.

Let me know if you need to know anything else.

Mark