Help! Used E-Bike pricing and selling suggestions

pgallego96

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 5, 2023
Hi all,

October last year I bought a new Woosh Camino which has been great, but unfortunately I'll be having to get rid of it as my circumstances have changed. I'd love to keep it but I know it'll probably go unused, so I'd rather pass it on to someone who will enjoy it.

The Odometer at the moment shows 511 miles and it was bought new in October 2023. I'd appreciate any suggestions about pricing. Maintenance wise I've had the wheels trued and just kept the chain lubricated and the bike clean (as you do). Reading around I saw suggestiong of maybe 25% from new price under a year?

Besides the pricing issue, does anybody have suggestions for selling an e-bike? Besides the obvious facebook marketplace and ebay, if I sold, say on this forum, is it more common to ship everything or for the buyer to come collect?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Did you email support@wooshbikes.co.uk about this? I can place an ad on our second hand webpage. Send me some photos, I will do the rest. Good resolution and some green settings help sell them fast.

Reactions: flecc

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Perhaps Mr @Woosh may care to comment, my perception is that virtually everything looses 30% when bought? and when it comes to ebikes, unless you have a smart app generated history of charge and discharge for the battery since bought you have to accept many buyers will have low expectations and assume its a dud and price your bike accordingly. What im trying to say i always consider 2nd use ebike batteries to be in poor condition and or close to death as its what can prompt the purchase of a new ebike considering what we hear from dealers all the time.

As someone who has looked for 2nd use ebikes on ebay etc a seller willing to pack a bike into a standard bike shipping box (10 minute job see youtube vids) for courier collection will possibly help sell to a wider area?
the packing boxes cost circa £30 i would expect the buyer to pay for that aspect, one courier will drop off a box and pick the boxed bike up the next day..

Good luck with the sale.. a woosh bike should carry a premium over generic bikes imho will keep my fingers crossed.

edit ** ha woosh posted while i typed..

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Just tell them how many miles you can ride before you have to recharge. That will be reassuring.
Second hand bikes sell well to people who live fairly close to the sellers. In normal season, Feb to October, they sell usually in a week. As soon as they see how good the bike looks in the flesh, they'll buy.

Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Whenever I make an offer on ebay, I claim 50% is the going discount for a secondhand item... then offer 50% of that. Surprising how often my ludicrous offers get accepted. And that's how I've ended up unexpectedly buying loads of stuff I didn't expect. With bikes advertised without delivery, I've got them where I want them... in a small pond depressed about not being able to sell locally...

Last edited:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
For a nearly new Woosh bike (which I consider very good value at retail price) I would start off at 3/4 of the price and be prepared to accept 2/3 price

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi all,

October last year I bought a new Woosh Camino which has been great, but unfortunately I'll be having to get rid of it as my circumstances have changed. I'd love to keep it but I know it'll probably go unused, so I'd rather pass it on to someone who will enjoy it.

The Odometer at the moment shows 511 miles and it was bought new in October 2023. I'd appreciate any suggestions about pricing. Maintenance wise I've had the wheels trued and just kept the chain lubricated and the bike clean (as you do). Reading around I saw suggestiong of maybe 25% from new price under a year?

Besides the pricing issue, does anybody have suggestions for selling an e-bike? Besides the obvious facebook marketplace and ebay, if I sold, say on this forum, is it more common to ship everything or for the buyer to come collect?
Your advert is running at the moment. Nice pictures!

https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?secondhand

I did not put an asking price on the add, would suggest £999.
Let me know if you want me to put £999 (or any other amount) on the ad.

Tony

pgallego96

Sep 5, 2023
Thanks very much for the help all, and @Woosh for putting it up. I'd be happy if you could put 999 as an asking price thank you :)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Done! and good luck with the sale. Tony.

Reactions: pgallego96

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021

Mysteryman

Aug 10, 2012
I have a Haibike Adventr 5.0, and I have only ever done 13 miles on it. At the time of purchase, it costs me £4500. I'm unable to ride/use my e-bike(s) now due to personal health reasons.

I put my Haibike up for sale at £3700 which I feel considering the mileage and pristine condition only ever having ridden the e-bike on 2 occasions was a fair price. I had several offers from potential buyers, one person offered me £3000, so arranged to let them have a look at the e-bike, but they never turned up to view it.

Then had an offer to swap it for an illegal e-scooter that does 60mph, I refused that offer of a straight swap. I then had a further person offer £1600, I never replied to that offer, then 2 months later they sent me another offer of £1200, the same potential buyer. Again I ignored their offer.

I guess if folks are willing to pay a fair and decent price on a great quality e-bike, however, not many folks have the money to shell out these days, there tend to be a lot of lowball offers as shown above what I typed above.

pgallego96

Sep 5, 2023
I have a Haibike Adventr 5.0, and I have only ever done 13 miles on it. At the time of purchase, it costs me £4500. I'm unable to ride/use my e-bike(s) now due to personal health reasons.

I put my Haibike up for sale at £3700 which I feel considering the mileage and pristine condition only ever having ridden the e-bike on 2 occasions was a fair price. I had several offers from potential buyers, one person offered me £3000, so arranged to let them have a look at the e-bike, but they never turned up to view it.

Then had an offer to swap it for an illegal e-scooter that does 60mph, I refused that offer of a straight swap. I then had a further person offer £1600, I never replied to that offer, then 2 months later they sent me another offer of £1200, the same potential buyer. Again I ignored their offer.

I guess if folks are willing to pay a fair and decent price on a great quality e-bike, however, not many folks have the money to shell out these days, there tend to be a lot of lowball offers as shown above what I typed above.
I agree, although I have found to have the exact same issue selling normal bikes at £300, the amount of times I was offered £50 or £100 was a bit ridiculous.

Reactions: Mysteryman

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021

In your case the big issue is how much warranty time remains. Out of warranty, no matter low mileage or high original cost, people won't take the risk of an expensive repair, so 40-60% is as high as can be expected.

It might look better when spring comes!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Whenever I bid on an item containing a replaceable lithium-ion battery, I assume the battery will be useless, so I bid low or make a low offer, bearing the cost of a new one in mind - secondhand laptop batteries are always useless, for example. With ebikes of course, good batteries aren't cheap to replace. With secondhand bikes I assume chains, brakes etc. will need replacing. Loads of dodgy sellers out there...

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
His bike is still under warranty

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
His bike is still under warranty
(Guilty looks all round...)...we've leapt onto the Haibike with unknown warranty....sorry!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I put my Haibike up for sale at £3700 which I feel considering the mileage and pristine condition only ever having ridden the e-bike on 2 occasions was a fair price.
It looked like a fair price so you thought it was, but in fact it wasn't. Because you chose to buy new you had to pay the VAT. That meant you paid £3750 for the bike and gave £750 to the chancellor of the exchequer in government tax that neither the dealer nor Haibike ever saw.

But there's no VAT on private second hand purchases so you cant expect a private buyer to now pay you, a private person, what the VAT cost you. That was the cost of your decision to buy new. The person who offered you £3000 had it about right, £750 off the amount you actually paid for the bike and not offering to pay you your VAT cost.

This is why the car market is overwhelmingly 85% second hand. Buy a £20,000 new car and you pay some £3,800 in VAT and costs of putting it onto the road. Buyers know that so they carefully choose a two year old with at least 30% off and save themselves £6000 or more for what is still a practically new car.

The moral is, only ever buy new if you are certain to keep it very long term.

• Disagree
Reactions: Az. and Mysteryman

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It looked like a fair price so you thought it was, but in fact it wasn't. Because you chose to buy new you had to pay the VAT. That meant you paid £3750 for the bike and gave £750 to the chancellor of the exchequer in government tax that neither the dealer nor Haibike ever saw.

But there's no VAT on private second hand purchases so you cant expect a private buyer to now pay you, a private person, what the VAT cost you. That was the cost of your decision to buy new. The person who offered you £3000 had it about right, £750 off the amount you actually paid for the bike and not offering to pay you your VAT cost.

This is why the car market is overwhelmingly 85% second hand. Buy a £20,000 new car and you pay some £3,800 in VAT and costs of putting it onto the road. Buyers know that so they carefully choose a two year old with at least 30% off and save themselves £6000 or more for what is still a practically new car.

The moral is, only ever buy new if you are certain to keep it very long term.
It's nothing to do with VAT. You can buy a 1 oz silver coin from Bullion by Post for £30, which includes £5 VAT, then sell it on Ebay for £27 any day of the week. If you take your time, you can get £29. Why's that?