Using a lightweight generator to charge Bosch e-bike battery

D

Deleted member 4366

Easily, but it depends which one. BMSB sell a 500W 48V code 14 that can just about reach 24 mph at 48v. At 36v, you should use a code 11 or higher. A code 13 will give a maximum speed of about 19 mph on the road. All this assumes 26" wheel.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Such a good idea. Yes that makes sense re the campsite. Do you think a 270 rpm bpm/cst could cut it, with a trailer?
But surely that means you'll be riding along with an internal combustion engine going (unless I'm missing something)? In which case a scooter is a far better bet, surely? They are common, cheap, only two wheels to worry about, reliable, comfortable etc.

I fully understand the desire to use an ebike to use cycle paths and trails and to cut one's carbon emissions. The idea of karting around a generator, necessitating a trailer, seems totally alien to that concept. The thought of running it whilst going along is just weird - why not just power the wheels direct?

Perhaps it's just me. :)

Michael

Reactions: VictoryV

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
charging your e-bike battery is second use, a generator is useful in other circumstances. BTW, if you have a fast charger (4A+), there is no need to have two batteries for your bike. A 15AH battery should be sufficient.

Reactions: jonathan75

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
I't's a shame electric assist bikes aren't more popular.

Last weekend I did an overnight cycle camp to the Luss campsite on Loch Lomond.

When I asked the site reception if they would be kind enough to charge my battery overnight. I was told I was the first person they'ed had requesting this.
(They were happy to oblige for a £1 donation)

It would be great if every campsite had a set up for recharging but I guess there just isn't the demand.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
I've been reading about the Cycle Satiator charger, 1kg and charges up to 8a. That would charge most batteries in under two hours -but can the batteries take it? If so it would seem a potentially superior solution even to a second battery, let alone a generator. One could just buy a coffee, have a read and it's done.

Reactions: 4bound

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
I've been reading about the Cycle Satiator charger, 1kg and charges up to 8a. That would charge most batteries in under two hours -but can the batteries take it? If so it would seem a potentially superior solution even to a second battery, let alone a generator. One could just buy a coffee, have a read and it's done.
Purely depends on the battery cells and the BMS. I've charged mine at 8A - it's a 10s4p pack so each cell is seeing 2A charge current. The cells are Panasonic NCR18650PF which have extremely good current loading characteristics both charging and discharging - they are very close relatives to those used in Tesla cars which I believe are charged at 4.4A per cell initially when supercharging. However other cells are likely to not be as resiliant to high charge currents. The only way of telling whether it'll be safe is by identifying the type of cells in the battery.

Does the Cycle Satiator have a thermal probe for monitoring pack temperature whilst charging? At these high currents it might be needed.

Michael

D

Deleted member 4366

It's not a good idea to fast charge your battery. Unless you know the specific maximum charge rate for your cells, stick to 0.2C.