Valve problem (Schrader)

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
I thought it was my track pump at first, but having tested it on some other tyres, my problem is with the valve.

I think something might be stuck around the bit that goes up and down (Schrader valve), as when you try and depress the plunger, only a smidge of air comes out each press, rather than the blast you usually get. (Tyre is inflated to 70 psi).

When I attach the track pump, rather than getting an instant reading on the gauge, the tyre forces air back up the pump, and it's then a battle, me vs. the tyre, which I win (but it's hard work), plus I get a sort of 'reluctant' psi reading from the gauge.

Is there an easy solution, or do I have to strip the valve, and if so is there a way of doing it without the right tool! (Alright, alright).

Thanks.

Allen Wisper 905 (tyres Marathon plus, tubes slimed, all about July 2010).

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Buy a valve extractor, you can get one from most car spares shops for less than a bike shop will charge you. I bought one from Halfrauds perhaps a dozen years ago. Then just screw out the valve core, its probably just blocked with a bit of grit. May be worth buying some spare cores when you get the kit.

Or, do none of the above and make the jump to Presta tubes, which are more reliable with higher pressures.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Some valve caps also have the extractor built in. Have a look around, you may already have one.

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
Do you have slime in your tube? It can seal the valve up if it thinks there is a leak.

Colin

Just read your post and sig properly - slime is the problem; I am 99% certain

Last edited:

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Just read your post and sig properly - slime is the problem; I am 99% certain
Well, thanks for that, Colin... but what is the SOLUTION? I'm still inclined to get hold of that extractor tool and whip the thing out, but would be grateful for any other notions.

Allen.

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
You have to remove the inner part with an extractor and clean away all the fibres the slime has blocked it with.
If there is a minute leak in the valve then the slime will seal it again.
My experience with Slime is that it is exceptionally good at sealing valves, making it difficult to get any air in, but useless at sealing any puncture in your inner tube - although it does make it nearly impossible to put a patch on any puncture.

Colin

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Thanks Colin.

This is my first experience of slime - everyone (well, everyone except you!) recommended it to go with my puncture-proof Marathons, and it seemed to have had a good press, although I can see that it would make repairing a puncture nigh on impossible.

I shall get meself the extractor in the morning, along with some new valves. Will that do, or should I try and give the inside of the valve housing a clean out too?

Allen.

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
Slime works fine on tubeless tyres - I use it on my ride-on mower and it cured an annoying slow puncture I had, and has sealed a few others over the past couple of years. It still occasionally blocks up the valves, but not often enough to be a problem.
However, on anything with innertubes it is more trouble than it is worth.
If you have some pipe cleaners or similar just make sure that no slime will come into contact with the new inner valve when you screw it in and hopefully you will be OK. You can then clean up your old inner valve and keep it as a spare.

Colin

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Thanks Colin.

This is my first experience of slime - everyone (well, everyone except you!) recommended it to go with my puncture-proof Marathons, and it seemed to have had a good press, although I can see that it would make repairing a puncture nigh on impossible.

I shall get meself the extractor in the morning, along with some new valves. Will that do, or should I try and give the inside of the valve housing a clean out too?

Allen.
If you look back about slime I think you`ll find that everyone would have said don`t bother A. You don`t need it with Marathons and B. It`s a PITA

Dave